hd25-1 impressions thread
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #3,061 of 3,348
I've just managed to buy new aluminium ones off ebay today. Do they come with different pads to the plastic version?
As above, the HD 25 aluminum has the same leather pads as the original. The build of the aluminum is similar to that of the amperior, although I would say that the aluminum feel slightly more sturdy and robust in its build quality.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #3,062 of 3,348
No, the HD 25 aluminum has the same black fake leather pads. The Adidas came with blue fake leather pads. Not sure if there were other colors until the new anniversary edition.
Wrong

The aluminium pads are quite different to the cheap pleather originals. It is very hard to believe they are not made of fine leather. They soft, supple and are not sticky in warm weather. I have no idea how they did it and so quickly forgot. After around 8years(?) mine still resemble just nicely worn in leather.

Sadly Sennheiser no longer supports or seemingly cares fot their discontinued headphones. They are no longer available

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #3,063 of 3,348
It is hard to believe they ever used real actual leather in any of these cheap cans.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #3,064 of 3,348
It is hard to believe they ever used real actual leather in any of these cheap cans.
That's my point. I know they are just pvc, vinyl, leatherette, faux bl**dy leather or whatever fake, cheap man made material you wish to call em, but they look.... and feel, and age like real leather. Alchemy

PS they don't smell like leather!!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #3,065 of 3,348
Wrong

The aluminium pads are quite different to the cheap pleather originals. It is very hard to believe they are not made of fine leather. They soft, supple and are not sticky in warm weather. I have no idea how they did it and so quickly forgot. After around 8years(?) mine still resemble just nicely worn in leather.

Sadly Sennheiser no longer supports or seemingly cares fot their discontinued headphones. They are no longer available
Agree re. Sennheiser no longer supporting discontinued headphones. It's a real shame because I feel that the discontinued versions of the HD25 sound and feel like what the original HD25 should have been.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #3,066 of 3,348
And as for the availability of HD250 pads...

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #3,067 of 3,348
Well my hd25 aluminium arrived yesterday. Really beautiful cans. Very nicely built and of course they sound awesome :)

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #3,068 of 3,348
I have no idea what some of the wild claims are about. I don't notice any difference between the pads on my aluminum compared to pads on plastic HD 25s. And to say they're not supporting old headphones is also bizarre. You can buy every part of an HD 25 and probably several other Sennheisers. What company can claim the same after so many years in production?

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #3,069 of 3,348
And as for the availability of HD250 pads...
Yes that's my biggest problem with them too. Ridiculous

Not supporting one of their best headphones. Leaving users of a professional headphone to experiment with various of pads and combinations.

All in the forlorn hope of approximating the original sound.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #3,070 of 3,348
Using them through a hugo 2 listen to exile on main street dsd now. Sounds bloody awesome

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #3,071 of 3,348
I have no idea what some of the wild claims are about. I don't notice any difference between the pads on my aluminum compared to pads on plastic HD 25s. And to say they're not supporting old headphones is also bizarre. You can buy every part of an HD 25 and probably several other Sennheisers. What company can claim the same after so many years in production?
Only the HD600/650 and HD25 are now supported.

Until a few years ago every part for the original 50 year old Hd414 could be purchased. Not much use for 250, 540/560 etc enthusiasts.

At least beyerdynamic still care about their heritage

As for the pads; chalk and cheese. Maybe someone swapped yours ?!?

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #3,072 of 3,348
Yup, there is a definite synergy with Chord output stages!

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #3,073 of 3,348
That's my point. I know they are just pvc, vinyl, leatherette, faux bl**dy leather or whatever fake, cheap man made material you wish to call em, but they look.... and feel, and age like real leather. Alchemy

PS they don't smell like leather!!

No, they do not look or feel or age like real leather, because, guess what, they are not leather. No company use leather for such cheap headphones. Also, no fake leather works like real leather, not even similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 29, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,074 of 3,348
Pleather will inevitably degrade over time (how long depends on the precise formulation, humidity and temperature, and, of course, interaction with sweat). Genuine leather will not (but it may dry out). Ask anyone who restores old cars...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #3,075 of 3,348
No, they do not look or feel or age like real leather, because, guess what, they are not leather. No company use leather for such cheap headphones. Also, no fake leather works like real leather, not even similar.

I feel this way too. I hate fake leather. Sure you can get some plastic pads that are better or worse than other plastic pads, but they're all worse than leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back