hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,266 of 3,348
After years of lusting after these, I finally ordered a pair that just arrived today.  They're pretty much exactly what I wanted/expected. 

It seems like some people are able to find these for a steal of a price, but even for what they're going for at online retailers I think these are a good choice.

Also, I know different people like different things, but it surprises me to read that people think they ought to have more bass.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,267 of 3,348
Recabled with an oyaide copper cable, these have pretty much all the bass I want. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2,268 of 3,348
After years of lusting after these, I finally ordered a pair that just arrived today.  They're pretty much exactly what I wanted/expected. 

It seems like some people are able to find these for a steal of a price, but even for what they're going for at online retailers I think these are a good choice.

Also, I know different people like different things, but it surprises me to read that people think they ought to have more bass.

Personally I think the trend towards bass heavy headphones has skewed people's perceptions of what a good headphone should be. You just have to look at the Momentum love-in thread to realise how many people believe that a bassier, treble recessed HP is better. I'm not saying they're bad, certianly the imagining of the momentum is bang on, but FR is so off neutral that it squarely places the momentum in the expensive lifestyle category occupied by by Bose, B&W and, unfortunately, Beats IMHO

The HD25s are pretty neutral, as they should be given their original intended purpose. Sure they have a slight bass empasis, but that's only to counter the type of ambient noise found in outside locations. To my ears I've not come across another portable closed back headphone that does so well with anything that you care to throw at.

That said it's all objective. One mans meat is another mans poison.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #2,271 of 3,348
Took delivery of my HD-25 II basic yesterday. Paid £130 shipped, seemed reasonable.

Love these cans, comfy, good isolation, nerdy techie good looks and have yet to find music that doesn't sound great through them.

Rockboxed iPod 4g > LOD > SMSL SAP-4S

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #2,272 of 3,348
Took delivery of my HD-25 II basic yesterday. Paid £130 shipped, seemed reasonable.

Love these cans, comfy, good isolation, nerdy techie good looks and have yet to find music that doesn't sound great through them.

Welcome to the club :) :) :)

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #2,274 of 3,348

Congrats.  May I ask what amp the SMSL SAP-4S is? 

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,275 of 3,348
Congrats.  May I ask what amp the SMSL SAP-4S is? 

SMSL is the brand, SAP-4S is the model.

It's a cheap Chinese-made amp, nice quality though both in build and sound quality. It's relatively neutral sounding and puts out 100mw. Adds some good punch to my Ultrasone DJ1 which needs amping to bring out the best of the bottom end, does the same for the HD25. Included in the box was a nice 3.5mm cable and a leather case. Well worth the £35 (IIRC) that I paid for it new. A real bargain actually.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,276 of 3,348
Got these two days ago and I'm loving these 
biggrin.gif

Very exciting sound sig, but the clamping force is a bit high. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,277 of 3,348
I've run my HD 25's with a Neco soundlab V3 for over a year now and I can easily state that I would never consider another headphone! Such is my enjoyment of the HD25's

I have considered a lod or cable upgrade but to be honest the sound is so good why mess with it.

Just thought i'd let everyone know :)

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2,278 of 3,348
Guys helpo me out here please.... I am On the verge of selling my hd25s and buying a pair of amperiors as a replacement..... I want a even better sounding hd25 of course (not that i dont like the hd25 but something even better is always nice) and a slight upgrasde on the confort with the velour pads (the leatherete ones hurt a bit after 15 minutes and the hard clamping makes everyrhing sound too confined and inside your head after a while)....

I never had the chance to try any amperiors....

After numerous researches i had the impression that the amperior would be a very slightly warmer hd25, with better controlled highs, slightly fuller and more precise bass and overall clearer and better.....

But now some people reported me that they found their amperiors to be even brighet and less controlled in the highs than the hd25-1 ii…..

Can anyone clear this out for me please? Anyone that had or tried both?

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,280 of 3,348
finally got a pair, loving them, does a cable change tame the treble down a bit? and do u guys recomend a dac or a amp with it? im running it off my computer currently and the onboard chip doesnt sound that good. im thinking of either getting a ud 110 v2 or a fiio e17 ,, what do u guy's suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back