hd25-1 impressions thread
May 8, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,897 of 3,348
On my way towards 7 years of jamming with my HD25, aw yeah.

May 8, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,898 of 3,348
On my way towards 7 years of jamming with my HD25, aw yeah.

Year 4 here, no signs of slowing down.

I hope I will always have these. They are such a versatile, fun, yet accurate can, and my confidence in their build has never wavered or prevented me from taking them absolutely anywhere.

May 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,899 of 3,348
Has anyone tried the Yaxi Comfort earpads? What is the general consensus for comfort on earpads, use the ALU earpads, Yaxi Type B, the Yaxi Comfort, or something else?

Thanks.

They're comfortable but the sound seemed to suck when using them, though I may have to try them again. I'm just using the ALU pads and they're more than good enough! Far better than the original pads.

Year 4 here, no signs of slowing down.

I hope I will always have these. They are such a versatile, fun, yet accurate can, and my confidence in their build has never wavered or prevented me from taking them absolutely anywhere.

I've actually got 600 ohm drivers in mine and it's a fair bit darker than the original HD25 ALU sound signature. Warm and lustrous, I'd call it.

May 15, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,900 of 3,348
They're comfortable but the sound seemed to suck when using them, though I may have to try them again. I'm just using the ALU pads and they're more than good enough! Far better than the original pads.

I've actually got 600 ohm drivers in mine and it's a fair bit darker than the original HD25 ALU sound signature. Warm and lustrous, I'd call it.

Hmmm...I usually use mine on the go, so 600 ohm drivers would be no bueno, but I can imagine a smoother HD25 would sound awesome.

May 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,901 of 3,348
Hey guys - got the Oyaide replacement cable 2 years ago, loved it... but half a year ago, the angled connector started making intermittant contacts. Replaced it with a neutrik one, now the cable itself produces dropouts.
Heavily disappointed with how "long" it lasted........
Any recommendations for a copper cable that will last longer and not be vastly more expensive?
Edit: HD-25-1 II it is :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #2,903 of 3,348
Hmmm...I usually use mine on the go, so 600 ohm drivers would be no bueno, but I can imagine a smoother HD25 would sound awesome.
I must be a madman then as I used them straight off my phone. :p

I did it cause I was bored originally but it was a surprisingly nice sound so I kept doing it.

Hey guys - got the Oyaide replacement cable 2 years ago, loved it... but half a year ago, the angled connector started making intermittant contacts. Replaced it with a neutrik one, now the cable itself produces dropouts.
Heavily disappointed with how "long" it lasted........
Any recommendations for a copper cable that will last longer and not be vastly more expensive?
Edit: HD-25-1 II it is :)
Shame it lasted for such a short time, I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's still going strong. Your new cable should be amazing though!

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #2,904 of 3,348
I must be a madman then as I used them straight off my phone. :p

I did it cause I was bored originally but it was a surprisingly nice sound so I kept doing it.

Which phone? What kind of volume can you get with just the phone?

...Also where'd you get the drivers:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,905 of 3,348
A friend of mine gave me his old HD-25 SP II when he upgraded to some German Maestro GMP 8.35d, they needed a new cable and pads. I have revived them after they have been in a box for 2 years, put velour pads and the standard 1.5m steel cable, and for the price they sound fine, not quite as good as the proper HD-25 II.

I am thinking of buying some cheap connectors from China and making my own cable out of some Van Damme cable I have lots of, these have become my office headphones.

May 16, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,906 of 3,348
A friend of mine gave me his old HD-25 SP II when he upgraded to some German Maestro GMP 8.35d, they needed a new cable and pads. I have revived them after they have been in a box for 2 years, put velour pads and the standard 1.5m steel cable, and for the price they sound fine, not quite as good as the proper HD-25 II.

I am thinking of buying some cheap connectors from China and making my own cable out of some Van Damme cable I have lots of, these have become my office headphones.

Ah the SPs. Yeah I've read they aren't quite on the same level as the 1-ii.

A slightly smoother HD25 with the original build and modular design would be a true godsend...Maybe I'll try to transplant some HD26 drivers some day if I get bored.

May 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,907 of 3,348
Ah the SPs. Yeah I've read they aren't quite on the same level as the 1-ii.

A slightly smoother HD25 with the original build and modular design would be a true godsend...Maybe I'll try to transplant some HD26 drivers some day if I get bored.

I could build myself some HD25 with split headband and 600 Ohm drivers for pretty cheap, are the 600 Ohm drivers better than the 70 Ohm normal ones?

May 16, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,908 of 3,348
I could build myself some HD25 with split headband and 600 Ohm drivers for pretty cheap, are the 600 Ohm drivers better than the 70 Ohm normal ones?

I dunno, never heard the 600 ohm version myself. Very curious though, and surprised that they seem to be driven sufficiently by a phone, considering my original HD25s definitely benefited from amplification.

May 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,909 of 3,348
I really wish I could go back in time about three years and buy a pair of HD25s. Because I'm a cheapskate, I've bought numerous other less expensive portable headphones, which have either broken, or proved to be less-than-acceptable performers. My money would have been better spent on the HD25s....so I've learned my lesson. :frowning2:

(One example of my bad choices: I bought the Superlux copy of the HD25 (the Superlux HD562), and the clamping force was horribly tight, like a vice grip to the head. Those headphones are unwearable for more than 5 minutes. Waste of money. And this is coming from someone who LOVES his Superlux HD-681 EVOs.)

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,910 of 3,348
I really wish I could go back in time about three years and buy a pair of HD25s. Because I'm a cheapskate, I've bought numerous other less expensive portable headphones, which have either broken, or proved to be less-than-acceptable performers. My money would have been better spent on the HD25s....so I've learned my lesson. :frowning2:

No time like the present. Its a purchase I've never regretted. I sold my original 1-iis because I was on a spree, but regretted it shortly and wound up buying a pair of Amperiors to replace them.

I would recommend the 1-ii over the Amperior, though; I have the Amps and they are great, I get a lot of mileage out of the inline mic and the sound is awesome, but the old school 1-ii had a clearer, more neutral midrange and slightly tighter bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back