HD201's are great, but...
Mar 20, 2006 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johan851

100+ Head-Fier
I sort of want more. The balance on these is pretty nice, detail is good, etc. I really enjoy their sound, and for the price they're a steal. The problem is that I just plain want a little more. I'm not sure if I'm hypersensitive, but these get uncomfortable on my ears after a while, both in terms of physical feel and listening fatigue, and I feel like I could be getting nicer sound out of my music. Less boomy/closed feel, maybe?

I picked up a TBAAM from Best Buy today to give it a run, and I couldn't get Kernel Streaming to work. Honestly, I really can't tell a difference between the TBAAM and my laptop's integrated sound when I switch back and forth between them at the same volume. If there is a difference, it's not really worth the $20 and little bit of extra hassle of a USB sound card.

I'm planning to get a Headroom MicroDAC once I can get one used, and I'll probably use that with whatever headphone I get . It's primarily going to be for my desktop rig and stereo system, though...I don't really use the laptop and headphones unless I'm at home for spring break or something (like now).

I'd like to spend $100 or less (less is better) on a new set of headphones. I pimarily listen to pop/rock (think DMB, Ben Folds, Jason Mraz, etc.) and some Texas country/bluegrass (Roger Miller, Guy Clark) and some other acoustic type stuff like Norah Jones. Might bust out stuff like the Eagles, U2, or some classical like Chopin, etc., but that's fairly rare.

What would you guys recommend? I think that the MS-1 would probably be a little annoying to me in the fatigue department. Is the HD555 really the best choice for me, or should I wait a little and get a HD580, then run it straight out of the MicroDAC? I hear the MicroDAC can actually function as a fairly powerful amp...

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Do you think the MS-1 would be fatiguing because you've heard Grados before? Or just from descriptions? Try some Grados, you might be surprised.

Remember, a lot of discussion on Head-Fi is about the final 5-10% of the presentation. Trust your ears, not someone else's words.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 5
First thing, all Senns need exceptionally long burn-in. My pair of 201 took almost 100-150 hours for the bass to open up and the "Sennheiser veil" to go away. Since then, 201 are excellent...for the price and the purpose. Do not expect too much inprovement from any sub-100 cans

And yes, try Grado - ina way, SR60 and 125 I tried are very similar to 201 except for the confinment and the tighter bass. For pop listener though, 555/595 line could be the best.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, I've had these burning in for about 2-3 months, and probably put...oh, I don't know...at least 200 hours or so. They've definitely opened up, and the bass is noticably better than it was.

I think I'm going to aim for the HD555/HD595 when I get a chance. They look a lot more comfortable, and I like the circumaural design a lot better. Plus, they both work well unamped, which makes life a little cheaper for me. Much as I'd like the HD580's, I don't think I could get away with using them without spending a couple hundred on an amp.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 5
580 are very nice, but than again - long burn-in, and amp is a must. But you can get away with $100-120 max DYI PIMETA.

Pls consider that open cans are major annoyance for anyone else in the room (girlfriend/spouse/roommate), and are best to be enjoyed in a quiet secluded enviroment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back