HD Tracks is so bad.
Dec 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 71

As a one time courtesy, we will refund the cost of the item. However, we would not be able to do so in the future as we normally cannot return items for subjective reasons

There you go man, take your money an run! I've only heard negative from their site for... years! Honestly, the highest I go is 24/96 an that's usually on Vinyl Rips from before 1980 an I've always been pleased! 

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 71
  As a one time courtesy, we will refund the cost of the item. However, we would not be able to do so in the future as we normally cannot return items for subjective reasons

So they will still issue refunds for objective reasons :wink:

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 71

Yes...but just once per customer.
It seems to me  their entire business is based on this subjectivity, wouldn't you say?

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. They will refund only once for subjective reasons but that limit only applies to subjective reasons. Find an objective fault and they will have to refund you every time.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #20 of 71

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. They will refund only once for subjective reasons but that limit only applies to subjective reasons. Find an objective fault and they will have to refund you every time.

You're right, I missed that!
dt880smile.png

They don't have to worry about my business any longer. I gave another listen to the few other HD albums I have bought from them and none of them are all that impressive. I doubt I would be able to identify them as hi res if I didn't already know it. The 96/24 stuff I have downloaded from other sources (like Blue Coast Music) have been pretty nice.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #21 of 71
  I'm glad I came across this thread. I just bought Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy album from HD Tracks in 96/24 FLAC expecting to here an old favorite at a new level of clarity. Instead I got something that was clearly distorted and difficult to listen to. At first I thought my headphone amp was acting up but playing some known good tracks from my collection quickly proved that was not the case.

I think I'll try writing to HD Tracks and try to get a refund.

EDIT> Just received this back from HD Tracks...

Please note, we receive up to date masters from the record labels. The masters are created from the original analog recordings. We do not record or master anything at HDTracks. We are only a retailer. We do not rip CDS, upsample or downsample. All the music is recorded and mastered by the labels. 

Each record label has their own recording/mastering process when it comes to high res. Unfortunately there is no universal standard. Sometimes the high res mastering and its clarity may present qualities that originally were unnoticeable or masked over in first released or in previous formats. We do ask that our label partners have taken note of that.We also ask the labels to provide as much information as possible about the recordings but they sometimes will only provided what they want. We do provided all that we have on the album in the details page ("about this album"). 

Apparently they are not curating their catalog for quality.  

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #22 of 71
My first experience with HD Tracks came today; Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" in 96/24 ALAC.  It is something I am well familiar with since it was first released.  

Smooth transaction and beautiful sound quality.  (MacBook, Mojo and Beyerdynamic T8 i.e.)  

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #23 of 71
I bought 42 albums from HD tracks the first year because I didn't know any better. The 42nd album was sososo bad I just couldn't listen to it. 24 bucks! I wrote them and said I needed to get a credit and I would erase ft. After 42 albums they told me tp go piss up a tree. "We don't make them. We just sell them". A web site with no moral compass!

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 71
My only problem is that I didn't know I couldn't get the album from iTunes (MacBook Pro) to my iPhone!  

Even with the app ONKYO high def I still cannot find a way to do it.  

Most of my listening is through the iPhone and not being able to play the 96/24 ALAC on the iPhone is disappointing.   

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 71
  My only problem is that I didn't know I couldn't get the album from iTunes (MacBook Pro) to my iPhone!  

Even with the app ONKYO high def I still cannot find a way to do it.  

Most of my listening is through the iPhone and not being able to play the 96/24 ALAC on the iPhone is disappointing.   

Enable Airdrop on both your MacPro and iPhone, select the HD Tracks files in Finder, and send them to your iPhone using Airdrop. Once they are transferred the iPhone will prompt you to select what program you want to import the files into. I have done this with up to 192/24 FLAC files with ONKYO in the past. Now I use KaiserTone. Fast and easy... once you know the route. Only downside is you end up with two music libraries on the iPhone. One with 44.1 and one with HiRes.

Region restrictions prevent me from purchasing from HD Tracks so I deal with a site that has a smaller selection but they are careful to warn customers of quality issues that might stem from historic recordings etc. With about 100 albums purchased so far I have not had issues. Making full use of online preview features along with the sellers comments assists in avoiding disappointments.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #26 of 71

Enable Airdrop on both your MacPro and iPhone, select the HD Tracks files in Finder, and send them to your iPhone using Airdrop. Once they are transferred the iPhone will prompt you to select what program you want to import the files into. I have done this with up to 192/24 FLAC files with ONKYO in the past. Now I use KaiserTone. Fast and easy... once you know the route. Only downside is you end up with two music libraries on the iPhone. One with 44.1 and one with HiRes.

Region restrictions prevent me from purchasing from HD Tracks so I deal with a site that has a smaller selection but they are careful to warn customers of quality issues that might stem from historic recordings etc. With about 100 albums purchased so far I have not had issues. Making full use of online preview features along with the sellers comments assists in avoiding disappointments.

Thank you for posting...
I'll give it a try!

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #27 of 71
Follow up: 

It worked out nicely and "Blood on the Tracks" sounds amazing via Mojo and Onkyo HD app.   Amazing.  I can hear greater soundstage and I can hear the second guitar (open tuning) beautifully.  

It is expensive, even with the 15% discount, and I'd love to find Sgt. Pepper's, as well as Dylan's "Tell Tale Signs."   

They have "Oh Mercy" with the lanois production, but it is expensive....

any other reliable sites??

Thank you! 

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #29 of 71
  HD Tracks sells fake-crafted hires music, cheating customers, that is point !

would I be able to tell on my MacBook Pro?  Obviously I had a positive experience but it is too expensive to keep it going, but if there is a way of testing...it would be helpful

All I can do now is play on itunes, and look up "file" to see how it shows.  

For example, one song:

Apple Lossless audio file 

size:  93.8 MB

bit rate:    3, 044 kbps 

sample size:  24 bit 

sample rate:   96.000 Khz  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back