HD 650's powered by NFB-12
Jul 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Justinnn

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD 650's and I'm on a budget of ~$300 USD.

I've heard that the NFB-12 would be a good amp on a budget for the 650s? Is this correct? If not, could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'll be listening via my desktop computer. What will I need to connect the computer to the amp?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 44

Quote:
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD 650's and I'm on a budget of ~$300 USD.

I've heard that the NFB-12 would be a good amp on a budget for the 650s? Is this correct? If not, could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'll be listening via my desktop computer. What will I need to connect the computer to the amp?

Thanks!

Yep perfect well-rounded setup with high grade internals, can't go wrong!

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 44

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!

DAM! I am jealous, I wanted the NFB-12, but already had my E7/E9 =(

Yes the HD650 will fit perfectly as a amp for them

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 44
it connects via usb, optical or coaxial cable. This effectively makes the NFB12 your sound card. Then you can connect your speakers to the line out at the back and your headphones to the front and use the far left 3 way switch to switch between the two. If you have nice speakers you may notice a difference in sound quality compared to your sound card/on board sound.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 44
Thanks guys!

So the NFB-12 will come with the accessories needed to connect to my PC or will those needed to be purchased separately? Also, does the quality of my current PC soundcard matter or will it just skip the soundcard all together when using the NFB-12? 

@muad - usb, optical or coaxial cable
Is there any audio quality difference between these three different cables or will they all do the job the same?

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 44

Quote:
Thanks guys!

So the NFB-12 will come with the accessories needed to connect to my PC or will those needed to be purchased separately? Also, does the quality of my current PC soundcard matter or will it just skip the soundcard all together when using the NFB-12? 

@muad - usb, optical or coaxial cable
Is there any audio quality difference between these three different cables or will they all do the job the same?

It should come with a USB cable to connect your PC to your NFB-12. Your soundcard doesn't matter, as the NFB-12 USB DAC will bypass it entirely.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 44
Could anyone else provide some insight to if the NFB-12 will be powerful enough to effectively drive the 650s? About to confirm my order, just need some reassurance, thanks guys.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 44

[size=medium]
If you're talking about sheer power...

If you've looked at the Icon HDP, which is regarded by some to have great synergy with the HD650, its power output at 300ohms is 152mW, while according to Audio-GD, the NFB-12's power is 300mW at 300ohms. I think you're fine in that regard.
[/size]

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 44
Yeah tell how it is. I'm pretty set on getting an HD650, but an Icon HDP looks mighty tempting given the supposed good synergy with it...

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 44
The NFB-12 will pair nicely with the HD650's but the sound will be really smooth.  The HD650 is rolled off in the treble and the NFB-12 is rolled off as well.  I personally think the NFB-11 is better for the HD650 but the NFB-12 will definitely do the trick. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 44
Just got the NFB 12 today. First time listening to my HD 650s as well. All I can say is, wow.

So far I've listened to Adele - 21 and Toto - Toto IV (in FLAC of course). Just sounds amazing, worth the money and more.

And the fact that these headphones will sound better when burnt in... OMG can't wait!

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 44
Glad to see Head-Fi worked in your favor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back