HD 650 - which amp is best for 1000 USD (no DIY)
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Mescalamba

Head-Fier
First, if there are any users with "stock" HD 650, I would be happy to read which AMPs sounded best for you (and why, if you remember
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Second.. there is small list of amps, can someone point which one is most suitable for HD 650? (Im looking for less bass then default HD 650 and more of everything else
biggrin.gif
).

Listed ones (which one is best for HD 650?):

DYNAVOX CSM-112

Fubar 4

Vincent KHV 111 MK

Vincent KHV 1

CARAT - EMERALD

Price doesnt matter.. sound does. Apply for best and for best of that list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Topic name changed - no DIY and limit is 1000 USD (or bit more.. around 20% is within tolerance).

Edit: And no, I dont have anything against DIY .. I would love to, but I would need step-by-step howto to make something working..

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 39
My Beta22 gets the best sound I've heard from my HD650s. They are completely stock, ignore the red cable in the pics, as I've since gone back to the original.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 39
You've asked a question I don't think you intended to.

What's the best amp for the HD650? The best you can afford. The beta22 is a lot more expensive than the Carat Emerald you've listed.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 39
Don't know if its "the best" with Senns... but... it's "darn good"... maybe great - the WA6 SE Maxed!

UPDATE: Oh yes... for the money... the WA 3 and 3+ match the Senns superbly! The 3+ is a little more versatile.

If you want a real value... that's also "darn good" with Senns, as well as other phones... get yourself a Millett MiniMax!

Also... the Darkvoice amps are great with Senns!

The GS Solo II is superb with Senns!!!

You've got a tough decision!!!

Although... all these require a great source, and possibly a after market cable (i.e. RAL Cryo-silver, or Cardas, etc.) if you're "finnicky." But... once you "get there" the Senns are very balanced, with a great rich sound, good soundstage, and lots of clarity and detail. But... you really have to select well matched components, and make a bit of an investment. The quality of the components and how well they match totally determines the quality of the sound from Senns - GIGO! Which is moreless true of all phones, but expecially Senns. You can't expect to invest a lot in any set of phones and expect them to sound great, unless you've invested in the components and carefully matched them to the phones.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they sound to you with your setup?

No idea. As I have never heard a HD650 paired up with my β22.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Beta22 gets the best sound I've heard from my HD650s. They are completely stock, ignore the red cable in the pics, as I've since gone back to the original.

What it improved sound wise?
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for answer..

Edit: Forget it, thanks anyway.. I should wrote "no DYI AMPs".
biggrin.gif
I dont have equip for that.. and even if I have some soldering skills and understand "howto" I still have very vague idea how "headphone AMP" works.. So, not for me.. at least not yet.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mescalamba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo audio looks really great.. price looks less great. HD 800 would be more worthy than HD 650. Not sure if its "sensible" to buy AMP that cost like 10x of headphones?

well people can argue for a while about that!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...s-mind-480173/

I started with a presonus central station (solid state), which sounded pretty good with my hd650s. now i moved to tubes with a little dot mkiv, which sounds even better. i just bought a fixed singlepower extreme which should be another improvement. i've spent more than 3x as much on amps and sources as i did for my hd650s, even with an aftermarket cable for them

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 39
If you have a budget you should state it. Headphones like the 650/600's and any number of other very good headphones (701/2's 880's 5000's both Sony and Denon and others) are good enough to improve when the associated equipment is improved; meaning they scale well. Is a WA5 out of line with 650's? not IMO (Although I'm not a fan of the 650/600's).

Asking for the best amp is very open ended, if you have a budget, state it.

No one here is a mind reader.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 39
Its not about budget (its still withing budget).. just wasnt sure how good HD 650s are. Eg. if that upgrade is worth it, or I simply should get HD 800 + that Woo highest end AMP.
smily_headphones1.gif

As I noticed HD 800 are very different from HD 650 (and I kinda like HD 650 and much less like AKG 701 and similar ones).

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyzone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well people can argue for a while about that!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...s-mind-480173/

I started with a presonus central station (solid state), which sounded pretty good with my hd650s. now i moved to tubes with a little dot mkiv, which sounds even better. i just bought a fixed singlepower extreme which should be another improvement. i've spent more than 3x as much on amps and sources as i did for my hd650s, even with an aftermarket cable for them

Thanks for link.
smily_headphones1.gif
Seems pretty interesting..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back