HD 650 + Oppo Ha-2, any rec's for a different amp?
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

saadnajmi

New Head-Fier
Hello, I recently bought the HD 6XX, the massdrop custom edition HD 650's.

Previously, I have been using an Oppo Ha-2 paired with my AKG K7xx. While this sounded fine to me, I've found out portable dac/amps aren't as powerful as desktop ones, and that I could do better. 

With that, I want to ask: Is the Oppo HA-2 was a significant weak link in my chain? If so, any rec's for a better dac/amp that pairs well with the HD 650? I was looking at the O2 dac/amp combo, and the JDS element.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 5
I basically wanted to know if upgrading to a desktop amp was worth it. Would you say the jump from the fiio e17k to the Schiit modi/Vali is very noticeable, or only slight?

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 5
I would say slight if I'm actually right. It's pretty hard to tell that I even question myself if I'm just imagining things due to expectation bias. And I have very good hearing according to my audiogram results too. A blind test should solve this, but I haven't done one. Therefore, I don't think the difference is worth another $100-150 jump. I say keep what you have unless there's something actually wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back