HD 650 - lost sound in one ear after cleaning
Jan 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Miths

100+ Head-Fier
As I've done numerous times before, around three hours ago I cleaned the ear pads of my HD 650 (without removing them, I'm not even sure how to do that) with a moist sponge.
Unlike all the other times however, I'm now left with a pair of headphones where there's no sound in the left ear, except for a few rare, split second bursts.

No cable tugging or manhandling was done during cleaning (and I've checked all cable connections just to be sure), so the only possible reason I can see for this loss of sound is that a tiny bit of water might have gotten through into the drivers.
Is that enough to cause a near complete loss of sound? And if so, is it likely that I've permanently damaged the headphones, or rather that - hopefully - sound will return again once they've been drying longer (I would sort of think that three hours ought to be sufficient for the very little amount of water we might be talking about here, but apparently not)?

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 24
Sounds to me like a drop of water might be causing a short circuit. Let them dry properly ( use a hair dryer--carefully) and give them another go.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 24
It just occurred to me to try to switch the left/right cables, which promptly resulted in lost sound in the right ear. Whatever the hell happened during that entirely non-vigorous ear pad cleaning it seems that it happened to the cable rather than the headphones themselves - which I imagine my wallet will be thankful for :).
I guess I'll try to figure out where I can buy a new cable then.

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
It just occurred to me to try to switch the left/right cables, which promptly resulted in lost sound in the right ear. Whatever the hell happened during that entirely non-vigorous ear pad cleaning it seems that it happened to the cable rather than the headphones themselves - which I imagine my wallet will be thankful for :).
I guess I'll try to figure out where I can buy a new cable then.

The cheapest way to get a cable is from Sennheiser USA, on their website or by phone.  B&H also has parts (with only a very small markup of ~$1 or so) and may ship faster.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 24
I'm in Denmark so shipping from the US takes forever, or cost a small fortune if I opt for express. There seems to be no mention of replacement cables on the Danish/Nordic Sennheiser site (nor do they appear to have a web store), and so far I'm not having any luck finding them in any other local online stores. I just sent a mail to the store where I originally bought them, but they aren't listing them in their site catalog.

If I can't find any replacement cables here, I guess I'll have to order from the UK - I came across a couple of online stores that had them.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 24
Ahh, okay.  I got mine back in the US when I went home for the holidays...

I know the local Sennheiser dealer here in Sweden can get parts, but they tell me it's very expensive and takes a long time, as the parts have to come from Sennheiser in Germany.

ebay.de might be the cheapest/easiest option for you:
http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=sennheiser+hd+%28600%2C+650%29+kabel&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 24
Sennheiser Nordic fortunately replied quickly to my mail with a store address, though it sounds like it might be something they have to order.
I hope a new cable fixes the issue, though since the audio moved to the other ear when I swapped the cables, I can't really see where else the problem could be.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 24
Have you tried removing and re-inserting (the cable) several times?

lol

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 24
Did you tried a different amp/source already? 

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 24
Yep
normal_smile .gif
. No change.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 24
I have a friend with hearing in only his right ear, he might buy them from you :p

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 24
Cool, thanks.  Maybe now I can spur the local dealer into finally looking up parts for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back