HD-650 and Gilmore Lite
Jun 26, 2005 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KidA

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just getting ready to order this equipment and i wanted to see what people's thoughts are on the pairing. So far i've been strictly a grado listener (sr-80, sr-325i, RS-1) but i'm looking for something warmer and richer. I find the Grado's just a tad too bright in the upper range. I listen to alot of acoustic stuff, alot of jazz, some classical.... mostly mellow stuff.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 14
I love the Gilmore Lite but I always found Ray Samuel's Amps were a better pairing with the Senns. I found you have to go higher in the Gilmore food chain before they really drive Senns well. If you want something for both the GL is reasonable, though I would be sure you give Ray's gear a listen when you get a chance.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 14
All possible with my help... mwahahaha!

I'm jealous though...
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

All possible with my help... mwahahaha!

Yeah, i should mention that. Kudos definately go to Joey_V for helping a very deprived Canadian get access to this gear. I couldn't reach audio nirvana without his help!

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I love the Gilmore Lite but I always found Ray Samuel's Amps were a better pairing with the Senns. I found you have to go higher in the Gilmore food chain before they really drive Senns well. If you want something for both the GL is reasonable, though I would be sure you give Ray's gear a listen when you get a chance.

Ray's headphone of choice (I think) is the HD600...so it makes sense that his amps will have great synergy with the senns
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 14
edit* sorry, this question is more appropriate in the amps forum

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 14
I have this combo and I think it sounds really nice, but I also have the Zu Mobius between the two. Lately I don't feel like I'm "connecting" with the music though, but I can't put my finger on whats missing.

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I have this combo and I think it sounds really nice, but I also have the Zu Mobius between the two. Lately I don't feel like I'm "connecting" with the music though, but I can't put my finger on whats missing.

If you connected before, it could just be something as simple as "mental". Mood plays with our connection to music.

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
If you connected before, it could just be something as simple as "mental". Mood plays with our connection to music.

either that or he's got a classic case of upgraditis on its way!

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I noticed this as well. All it took was some time away from my gear and music to really appreciate what I was missing.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 14
I notice that everything I own sounds better and looks better when I feel happy. When I'm a little down, not even my speakers cheer me up.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the 650 + GL combo, thats all I'm saying. Mind over matter sometimes!
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I notice that everything I own sounds better and looks better when I feel happy. When I'm a little down, not even my speakers cheer me up.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the 650 + GL combo, thats all I'm saying. Mind over matter sometimes!
biggrin.gif

that or maybe the gilmore lite's dedicated power supply is the missing link
lambda.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
that or maybe the gilmore lite's dedicated power supply is the missing link
lambda.gif

I have the upgraded psu, so I don't think thats it. Maybe I do just need some time away from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back