HD-650 $320 vs. Grado SR-60 $69
Feb 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Toe Tag

100+ Head-Fier
Saw this on dealnews. Am I allowed to post deals here? How would the HD-650 enlighten me versus my existing Grado SR-60 (with electrical tape mod)...

"JR.com offers the Sennheiser HD-650 Audiophile Headphones for $319.99 with free shipping. (Choose "Email Price" and you'll receive an e-mail with this price quote.) That's the lowest total price we could find by $180. (Most stores charge $500.) These open-air circumaural stereo headphones feature a 10Hz to 39-1/2kHz frequency response and 10-foot cord."

I haven't checked froogle but it seems like a good deal. Too bad Grado never goes below list price.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 39
Just be careful when buying the Sennheisers and make sure that you buy them from an authorized dealers. Their warranty service only covers purchases from authorized dealers.

FYI JR.com is an authorized dealer.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 39
Easy, the HD650. HD650 will let you hear what the musician intended you to hear, it will play back the recording. SR-60 is what John Grado thinks you should hear.

That and if you get the HD650, you won't wonder, what else is there. That headphone will last you years and scale with your setup. Decide to get a new source, cool HD650 still awesome. Want to get a new DAC, sweet! HD650 still awesome. New Amp, heck let's get several. What's really awesome? HD650 is still there!

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 39
Well the sr60 is no match for the HD650. But these things are all about taste. If you like a more upfront sound similar to your Grados then you might want to spring for some RS-1s or maybe some Audio Technica AD900/1000 or 2000s.

The HD650s are going to give you a smooth, detailed, rich, laidback sound. The HD650 sounds more like real loudspeakers then any other headphone I have ever heard.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 39
Hey mdb2884, how would the new Compass drive these?

sennheiser hd650 - Google Product Search shows you might find them for $350 out the door, but from sellers you may not have heard of.

Hope I can get the trifecta from Microsoft. Search only for "Sennheiser 650" and you'll see JR. There is an email link and they dutifully report:

Quote:

Here is the information you requested:

Sennheiser HD650 Stereo Headphone

$499.99 - Suggested Retail Price

$319.99 - YOUR PRICE

Please click here to view or purchase this product at the discounted price:
Sennheiser HD650 Stereo Headphone in Corded Headphones at JR.com

(You may also cut and paste the entire link into the address box of your browser.)

If you have seen a lower price, or wish to discuss this price further, please call 1-800-806-1115. You may also print out this email and bring it to our Retail Stores located on Park Row in New York City.

Yep, looks like they're shipping to California for $320 out the door. And looks like Microsoft will credit me with $19.20. Thanks khtse!

Ah, but some fine print "A: You can use your PayPal account to pay for your purchases from eBay. In other cases, we can't guarantee that your purchase will be reported to us correctly if you use an alternative payment method. We're always looking to improve our service and will continue to work to support other alternative payment methods in the future." and I paid with Google Checkout. Not even sure PayPal non-eBay counts. I guess I'll find out.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toe Tag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sennheiser hd650 - Google Product Search shows you might find them for $350 out the door, but from sellers you may not have heard of.

Hope I can get the trifecta from Microsoft. Search only for "Sennheiser 650" and you'll see JR. There is an email link and they dutifully report:

Yep, looks like they're shipping to California for $320 out the door. And looks like Microsoft will credit me with $19.20. Thanks khtse!

Ah, but some fine print "A: You can use your PayPal account to pay for your purchases from eBay. In other cases, we can't guarantee that your purchase will be reported to us correctly if you use an alternative payment method. We're always looking to improve our service and will continue to work to support other alternative payment methods in the future." and I paid with Google Checkout. Not even sure PayPal non-eBay counts. I guess I'll find out.

The paypal thing applies only to eBay purchases. A few months ago Microsoft was having this crazy live cashback going on eBay, which lasted for about half a year, with cashback as high as 35% (and at least 25% most of the time). And you got cashback on those eBay purchases only if you paid with Paypal. I wish they still have cashback on eBay... but no they don't have it anymore.

You can pay by other methods and still get cashback from other sites like jr.com or newegg.com. You don't have to search Sennheiser HD650 on the cashback website. Just add it to you cart on jr.com, and then go to live.com/cashback, find and click the link to jr.com there to activate the 6% cashback. When you reach jr.com, you will have the HD650 already in you cart. Check out and then wait 60days to get your cashback!

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toe Tag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Put it this way. The original 18 (I have), has a gain of 13 dB/19 dB, with gain of 13 dB, HD650 users didn't have to crank the volume past 9 o Clock. The lowest volume starts at around 7:00, yeah its that powerful. Full volume is 5:30. Loud is at 10-11:00 and no more or it's dangerous levels. Never mind the 19 dB setting.

I use the AD900 with 13 dB setting and I listen at a very comfortable level at 8 o Clock, plenty of power to drive any single ended headphone. As for SQ, well there are so many options to help with that. 3 different HDAM and a bright, neutral, soft 1 and 2 settings on the amp. For most people, neutral and Earth (neutral) HDAM is the way to go. This was designed to have as neutral sound possible at the Mid-Fi price. But has other colored settings for those who need that, bass heads, Grado users etc.

The new gain setting in the updated version will now be 9/15 dB.

As for the sound and SQ, I've only read rave and enthusiastic enjoyment of the HD650 with Compass. If you want to know more, send private messages to csroc and Pricklely Peete. They both have impressive gear to provide some comparisons of the Compass and the HD650, I mean some serious tube amps, DIY projects.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy, the HD650. HD650 will let you hear what the musician intended you to hear, it will play back the recording. SR-60 is what John Grado thinks you should hear.

That and if you get the HD650, you won't wonder, what else is there. That headphone will last you years and scale with your setup. Decide to get a new source, cool HD650 still awesome. Want to get a new DAC, sweet! HD650 still awesome. New Amp, heck let's get several. What's really awesome? HD650 is still there!

The only way to truely do that is to be right there with the band while the music is being recorded, if HD650 truely did that then what does the HD800 do? let you hear what the musician intended you to hear AND MORE!?
eek.gif

and it almost sounds like you got something against Grado

but whatever I wouldn't compare a $350 Headphone from a well credited company to any $70 one

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortgammon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way to truely do that is to be right there with the band while the music is being recorded, if HD650 truely did that then what does the HD800 do? let you hear what the musician intended you to hear AND MORE!?
eek.gif

and it almost sounds like you got something against Grado

but whatever I wouldn't compare a $350 Headphone from a well credited company to any $70 one

Just saying it as it is. The HD650 has a more balanced, neutral sound than the Grados SR-60. SR-60 are no question, a colored headphone that changes the sound of the recording.

As of yet, have yet to read any serious reviews on the HD800 yet. I would like others, wait until the HD800 begin shipping out and even then, will hold my opinion on them, as I have not and will not hear them, beyond my price range. But I don't doubt the HD800 will surpass the HD650 for detail or accurate reproduction of the recording.

I was lucky to get a chance to hear a HD650, stock cable and was very pleased. I am still looking for a way to get a chance to hear the DT880, blargh!

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by khtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can pay by other methods and still get cashback from other sites like jr.com or newegg.com. You don't have to search Sennheiser HD650 on the cashback website. Just add it to you cart on jr.com, and then go to live.com/cashback, find and click the link to jr.com there to activate the 6% cashback. When you reach jr.com, you will have the HD650 already in you cart. Check out and then wait 60days to get your cashback!

I don't mind waiting 60 days for the money, but how long until it shows up as pending in my Live account which still shows all zeros? In the meantime, I can't resist pointing out that the statement "A: You can use your PayPal account to pay for your purchases from eBay. In other cases, we can't guarantee that your purchase will be reported to us correctly if you use an alternative payment method. We're always looking to improve our service and will continue to work to support other alternative payment methods in the future." is classic Microsoft. FUD (sowing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) combined with the lie that they are working to support more payment methods in the future. Yeah, they're working hard to support Google Checkout I'm sure. Its a little annoying that the rebate hasn't showed up on my Live! account yet, when JR features the Google Checkout payment option so clearly, and the order has now shipped, and JR knows I bought it regardless of payment method right? Anyway its only $20 so I'm not losing any sleep. And I'm sure Gates and Ballmer are not losing any sleep over the above business practice which seem completely ingrained in their corporate culture.

OK, back to the music. Sounds like I'm in for a real treat with an HD650 hooked up to a Compass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back