HD 600s?
Jun 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Idespa

New Head-Fier
I am looking to switch headphones from my current AKG K702s and have been very interested in the Sennheiser HD600s as of late. I have two concerns about them though:
1 - Do they handle electronic music well?
2 - Will my Objective 2 be able to amp them properly

Any help or personal experience will be appreciated.

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 15
I listen mostly to electronic music, and I think HD600s are fantastic for it. I also used to amp them with an O2, and I think they sound good together. But this is IMO, of course.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

From what I know about that kind of music, you need two things - nice clear treble (because my electronic music usually has a bikini-clad girl artwork on the cover, and the vocals on these need that)  and pounding bass. I think the bass is "just right," but take note I also thought my old 2.0 speaker set-up (Wharfedale Pacific Pi10, NAD304) had enough bass for watching LOTR without breaking the bank for a full HT set-up nor do I drive around letting my car's dB's people how much of my money went to Audiobahn or Kicker.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

From what I know about that kind of music, you need two things - nice clear treble (because my electronic music usually has a bikini-clad girl artwork on the cover, and the vocals on these need that)  and pounding bass. I think the bass is "just right," but take note I also thought my old 2.0 speaker set-up (Wharfedale Pacific Pi10, NAD304) had enough bass for watching LOTR without breaking the bank for a full HT set-up nor do I drive around letting my car's dB's people how much of my money went to Audiobahn or Kicker.

So you're saying that they are well suited (at least for your tastes) to electronic music?

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I am looking to switch headphones from my current AKG K702s and have been very interested in the Sennheiser HD600s as of late. I have two concerns about them though:
2 - Will my Objective 2 be able to amp them properly

Any help or personal experience will be appreciated.

I would say the HD 600 is a very good compliment to the K702. They're much slower and warmer vs the K702 being brighter and faster. That being said, I like electronic music through my K702 better than my HD 600.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I would say the HD 600 is a very good compliment to the K702. They're much slower and warmer vs the K702 being brighter and faster. That being said, I like electronic music through my K702 better than my HD 600.

As much as I would love to keep both, that's a very expensive move. Also I'm not a fan of how the K702s sit on my head so I don't think I will be keeping them.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 15
Interesting, I have the 702 Anniversaries and the 600's and the 600's are for sale. I don't listen to electronic music but I found the top end on the AKG's to be more open and natural,although I heard Q701's after my 702's and they did sound quite a bit thinner to me. The O2 should work pretty well for the 600's. I use a Magni which seems to be fairly comparable to the O2 and it works well

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Interesting, I have the 702 Anniversaries and the 600's and the 600's are for sale. I don't listen to electronic music but I found the top end on the AKG's to be more open and natural,although I heard Q701's after my 702's and they did sound quite a bit thinner to me. The O2 should work pretty well for the 600's. I use a Magni which seems to be fairly comparable to the O2 and it works well

Are they for sale on these forums? I can't find them under your started threads

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Are they for sale on these forums? I can't find them under your started threads

I haven't gotten around to taking pictures and posting them,if you're interested let me know and maybe we can work something out

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
May I ask by the way why are you wanting to change from the K702? You find them lacking somehow?

I love how they sound, there are 2 real reasons that you may find trivial. The main one is comfort. No I'm not talking about the infamous "bumps", those have never bothered me even after my longest listening sessions.  The headphones actually feel too big for my head and if I move my head they tend to slip and move around a lot. This is a very small reason to dislike a headphone but if you're listening to it for 2 to 4 to 10 hours, this becomes a really big deal.  The second reason is that I want to try something else. I don't want to go through life having only ever tried one headphone and I could never call myself an audiophile if I did. 

Question for everyone:  If I plan on listening to 80-90% electronic music, would I be better off with the HiFiMan HE-400s? If anyone has owned them or worn them, is the weight really noticeable?

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
I love how they sound, there are 2 real reasons that you may find trivial. The main one is comfort. No I'm not talking about the infamous "bumps", those have never bothered me even after my longest listening sessions.  The headphones actually feel too big for my head and if I move my head they tend to slip and move around a lot. This is a very small reason to dislike a headphone but if you're listening to it for 2 to 4 to 10 hours, this becomes a really big deal.  The second reason is that I want to try something else. I don't want to go through life having only ever tried one headphone and I could never call myself an audiophile if I did. 

Question for everyone:  If I plan on listening to 80-90% electronic music, would I be better off with the HiFiMan HE-400s? If anyone has owned them or worn them, is the weight really noticeable?

Comfort is an absolutely valid reason to want to move on. Don't think of it as trivial at all. That being said, my K702 65th AE is my most comfortable open can. The huge cups and light tension allow me to wear it all day long as opposed to the HD 600 which tends to be a little tight for me. It's all subjective, but if comfort is an issue, that's a real issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back