HD 598 vs HD 600 (which has more detail)
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #76 of 91
  I would say so personally, but I'm kind of an HD600 fanboy. I think they sound better in every way to my ears, but at the end of the day audio is subjective. I recommend you find a way to try both out in person. That's the only way to really know what you want. 

Theres no places near my area that actually have the HD 600. I only can find the HD 650's and 5xx series. No 600's :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #77 of 91
That's too bad. Idk what to tell you, they are kind of hard to find anywhere but online. I just did a lot of research first and the HD600 ended up being exactly what i was looking for

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #79 of 91
The 598s are $187 on amazon now.....you can't beat that price....I listen to all types of metal on these....from modern metal to black metal.....I love em

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #83 of 91
Seems like consensus has been reached, but just want to chime in that purely for music: HD600 > HD598. No contest. It would get more complicated if other types of media would have to be considered, but since that isn't the case here...

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #84 of 91
I'm wrestling with very similar situation here. I have similar music taste, I got Schiit Modi/Vali stack and I currently own the 598's.
biggrin.gif
 I've done a lot of pondering and I'll probably go for the 650's in the summer. The 598's are simply too bright for me and I feel they lack some body, even though they are great for acoustic music, movies and video games.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #86 of 91
  Having tried both of the headphones in question, I can say with conviction that the HD600 is the way to go, especially if you're into energetic music. The HD600 sounds (to my ears) more clear, more powerful, more detailed, maybe not quite as immediate, but it sounds more life-like. To my ears the HD598 sounds fake, like the energy is being taken away from the original recording. They sound in a weird way more flat than actual flat, which sounds weird but if you get a chance to try them both I promise you'll see what I'm saying. The HD600 are my personal favorite headphones Sennheiser has made for the price (except maybe the HD800, which I've tried many times, but never had the pleasure of owning). For rock music the HD600 are in my mind literally the perfect headphone. I don't know if this has been covered, but if you're getting either of the headphones you mentioned, you're going to need an amp at least, and probably also a DAC. If you're on a budget, the Schiit Audio Magni/Modi combo is killer, as is the Little Dot MKII. 

I too have owned both & agree that the 600s have more clarity, detail, and I feel are much more immersive. Sure, the 598s are more comfortable in the sense that they're lighter with less of a clamp, but I still enjoy the seal the 600s provide. I think it makes the music feel more intimate.
When I switched back to the 598s, it felt like the mids were too elevated and the overall sound was more laid back & distant.

I've listened to some metal with them, and even after reading they don't do as well with that genre, I was impressed with how well they kept up. Granted, I don't listen to metal typically, but it still sounded enjoyable.

A few examples of albums I think sound great through the 600s I heard recently:
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories (So fun, detailed, immersive with great bass representation that forced me to dance)
Lorde's Pure Heroine (Also made me dance & I got lost in the lush vocal harmonies)
Adele's 19 (I couldn't help but be entranced by the vocals & acoustic instruments. Felt quite intimate)

I think it's misleading to say that the 600s don't sound good with pop/rock.

I listened to both with Audinst HUD mx-1 amp/dac.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #87 of 91

I think it's misleading to say that the 600s don't sound good with pop/rock.

I would agree. I think one of the things that make the HD600 such a killer headphone is that you can honestly make them sound great with pretty much anything. If you want more or less punch out of them, they respond with amazing accuracy to EQing and they're full of energy so I wouldn't say they sound "dead" the way the the 598 can. At the same time, however, they're very clear and can be laid back when they want. They're just awesome!

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #89 of 91
I have never listen to the hd600, but if they are similar enough to the hd650, as people says, there is no contest. I have both the hd650 and the hd598 (and the 558 as well), and the hd650 are in an another league. Also, for my taste, the hd558 sounds better than the hd598: very similar over all, but the hd558 gives more "texture" to the music.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #90 of 91
  One weird question lol. This might be extremely stupid but I've been noticing for a long time, but I notice when I listen to most of my music on stereo systems or just regular speakers (Even crappy speakers) I notice the snare drums have a plop, pop, or snap to it while when listening to my music on my computer I just sounds textureless or maybe fat. I have no EQ applied at all. I also notice with the toms that I can hear the sharp pointiness of the drum sticks hitting the tom. However If I turn the volume down alot it starts to sound similar as what I would hear on the speakers with the pop sounds to the snare and what not. Is this just because of the sound signature of my headphones since my HD 598's are "in my face" or what is it?

After listening to the drums more and doing a little more research on what I'm talking about here, let me just narrow it down.
Does the HD 600's drums sound soft/muffled, or does it have a snappy, tighness to the drums and percussion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back