HD 598 or HD 650 to replace my SR80i's
Nov 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Grado Diesel

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm using my FIIO X3II>Schiit Vali 2>Grado SR80i. The treble is just killing me and easily fatiguing my ears. I've done some research and a couple cans that look like an appealing upgrade are The Sennheiser HD 598 and HD 650. I really can't try these out without buying them so which one would be the best choice?

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 7
What's your budget and for what type of music ?

You can buy the Audioquest NightHawk at Crutchfield for $328  ($20 coupon)

Amazon will probably have the HD650 for $300 at the black Friday.

The Vali 2 is a very good match with both headphones.

I'm shooting for a pair of cans between $150-300. I listen mostly to classic rock, blues rock and jam band. I listen to a lot of Stones, Humble Pie and Black Crowes and those bands's recordings tend to be loud in the high and midrange frequencies. That's where I've been running into trouble with Grados.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm shooting for a pair of cans between $150-300. I listen mostly to classic rock, blues rock and jam band. I listen to a lot of Stones, Humble Pie and Black Crowes and those bands's recordings tend to be loud in the high and midrange frequencies. That's where I've been running into trouble with Grados.

My recommendation is to go with either the HD650 or the NightHawk because otherwise you will always want to upgrade 
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 7
HD600.... The HD650 will be super dark compared to the Grado

This guy wrote a good comparison between the two: http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650 Between those two I'm wondering which cans will do better with the spicy guitar work and vocals of the Black Crowes and the Stones. Steve Marriotts vocals in Humble Pie ride the edge of Janis Joplin's timbre as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back