HD 598 Alternatives?
Oct 25, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #17 of 28
Ok! By the way, does burn in only affect sound quality, or does it also affect soundstage?

The burn in affects the sound quality but in this headphones you wont note very strong improvements, a little bit on trained ears i think... I have my pair for almost 2 years and they are rock solid and sound just equal to the first day I bought them... The real improvements you will notice is op-amps (operational amplifiers) on a sound card or dac that allows to swap them... Any doubt feel free to ask m8.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 28
The burn in affects the sound quality but in this headphones you wont note very strong improvements, a little bit on trained ears i think... I have my pair for almost 2 years and they are rock solid and sound just equal to the first day I bought them... The real improvements you will notice is op-amps (operational amplifiers) on a sound card or dac that allows to swap them... Any doubt feel free to ask m8.
I see, so the first thing I should buy is an amp or a sound card, I can probably get one in a couple months, thanks!

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #19 of 28
Ok! By the way, does burn in only affect sound quality, or does it also affect soundstage?

What a good question
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 28
I see, so the first thing I should buy is an amp or a sound card, I can probably get one in a couple months, thanks!

If you are a gamer and do not travel a lot with your audio equipment i suggest a sound card.

An amp does need an input source audio, from an dac... That's why people buy an AMP/DAC Combo, or "stacks" them individually one on top of the other..

All sound card are an DAC, and the high end of them does come with amps capable of driving up can of 600 ohms, the difference is that their are inside of your PC and its not the very optimal environment for sound waves because of interference but a good sound card will come with a shield for this matter, and a sound card comes with the virtual surround software to proper reproduce, well... A virtual surround environment xD

From audio purity and cleanest source but no virtual surround just Stereo sound go for an AMP/DAC combo. Those Sennheiser dont even requires an amp to proper drive them. They are 50 ohms i think.

For gaming go for a sound card with the features you need.

Hope to help you.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 28
The sound stage is determined from the driver size, the design of the cup and drivers types. The burn in does not affect it by my opinion but I maybe wrong. Not a Pro on this. xD

Neither am I, but we get so caught up in all this terminology etc, this simple question actually stopped me to think lol.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 28
If you are a gamer and do not travel a lot with your audio equipment i suggest a sound card.

An amp does need an input source audio, from an dac... That's why people buy an AMP/DAC Combo, or "stacks" them individually one on top of the other..

All sound card are an DAC, and the high end of them does come with amps capable of driving up can of 600 ohms, the difference is that their are inside of your PC and its not the very optimal environment for sound waves because of interference but a good sound card will come with a shield for this matter, and a sound card comes with the virtual surround software to proper reproduce, well... A virtual surround environment xD

From audio purity and cleanest source but no virtual surround just Stereo sound go for an AMP/DAC combo. Those Sennheiser dont even requires an amp to proper drive them. They are 50 ohms i think.

For gaming go for a sound card with the features you need.

Hope to help you.

That's the thing about the 598's, it doesn't really need an amp since it's only 50 ohms. I may get an amp at one point, but after reading your comment, the next thing I will be buying is a sound card, it will be much better than my onboard Realtek sound card, and will have virtual surround! :)
By the way, what is a DAC?

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #24 of 28
That's the thing about the 598's, it doesn't really need an amp since it's only 50 ohms. I may get an amp at one point, but after reading your comment, the next thing I will be buying is a sound card, it will be much better than my onboard Realtek sound card, and will have virtual surround! :)

A DAC is an Digital to Analog Converter, its the chip responsible for the conversion of the digital audio (the zeros and ones) into an analog signal (the "waves" of sound or the electric impulses in a more graphic scenario) that your speakers inside of your headphones can read, and translate into "real" sound...

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 28

And by a sound card if you go for dolby headphones try to go for the "STX" or "STX II", i know the "DX" is attractive in price but the output audio is trought the mic input, this means you lose the ability to use a mic if you want later to expand your system to another thing or connect other device, it doesn't have an headphone amp and doesn't have swapable op-amps. This last 2 items only care for you in the future to upgrade to a better headphones that may need more power and to switch the op-amps to get the sound at your taste...

If you go with SBX Pro Studio is the same, except that the "Soundblaster Z" that is the cheapest card already have an amp and the audio input and output is separate from the rest via toslink.
The "Soundblaster Zx" is the same as the "Z" but have a volume control thing that decreases quality of audio reportedly.
The "Soundblaster ZxR" is the most expensive but is, in the long run the better and upgradeable card of this line.

I miss my Auzentech Xfi Forte... That was a real good quality card out of box... But that's other topic xD

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 28
A DAC is an Digital to Analog Converter, its the chip responsible for the conversion of the digital audio (the zeros and ones) into an analog signal (the "waves" of sound or the electric impulses in a more graphic scenario) that your speakers inside of your headphones can read, and translate into "real" sound...
Oh ok, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back