HD 598 Alternatives?
Oct 21, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 28
 Philips X2 is a good alternative.

Why do you suggest the X2? The reason I ask is because I own the 598's and do not really like their sound signature. Not enough bass for me. After a lot of researching I decided I was going to get the X2's because I read that they have really good bass for an open headphone, while the 598's bass I would say is... somewhat lacking.  I listen to a lot of electronic and hip hop so I guess the 598s were never really the headphones for me in the first place.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 28
Why do you suggest the X2? The reason I ask is because I own the 598's and do not really like their sound signature. Not enough bass for me. After a lot of researching I decided I was going to get the X2's because I read that they have really good bass for an open headphone, while the 598's bass I would say is... somewhat lacking.  I listen to a lot of electronic and hip hop so I guess the 598s were never really the headphones for me in the first place.
What about for gaming? (Sound stage and stuff)

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 28
You can use virtual surround with the HD 598.  Razer Surround is a free software that does this, arguably better than any other solution.  I've tried it (although not with the HD 598) and it is very effective, although rather exaggerated I think.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 28
You can use virtual surround with the HD 598.  Razer Surround is a free software that does this, arguably better than any other solution.  I've tried it (although not with the HD 598) and it is very effective, although rather exaggerated I think.
Many people are saying Razer's works best, so that's good, but a problem many people are having is that the software doesn't work well with headphones with a large soundstage. Either way, I'll try it out!

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 28
I own the HD598, with dolby headphone they are very good for gaming, sbx pro studio from a Soundblaster Z too but the Dolby for me is a win.
But where the HD598 really shine is music you can't go wrong with them.

If you need bass go for the Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ohm version, you will be better served with them for music and gaming.

If gaming is the only concern and pin point enemies, go for the well documented and tested Audio Technica AD700x. I'm about to get ones of this and i can tell you later the experience.

Thats my advice.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 28
I own the HD598, with dolby headphone they are very good for gaming, sbx pro studio from a Soundblaster Z too but the Dolby for me is a win.
But where the HD598 really shine is music you can't go wrong with them.

If you need bass go for the Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ohm version, you will be better served with them for music and gaming.

If gaming is the only concern and pin point enemies, go for the well documented and tested Audio Technica AD700x. I'm about to get ones of this and i can tell you later the experience.

Thats my advice.
I recived my 598's from Amazon and they sound amazing! They work well enough for gaming, but I don't have a sound card yet, I'll get a Dolby headphone compatible sound card since you said that works best in a few months

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 28
If possible, try them because they are very unique technologies, and everyone have different ears i use STX II from Asus, i do consider the Dolby Headphones a better virtualization of surround and I have the Soundblaster Z, so i know that for me the SBX Pro Studio wont work.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 28
I recived my 598's from Amazon and they sound amazing! They work well enough for gaming, but I don't have a sound card yet, I'll get a Dolby headphone compatible sound card since you said that works best in a few months

Great news that you like them. Please give them some time to burn in, then perhaps you can take them somewhere to test out soundcards to get the right one for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back