HD 595 or HD 600
Dec 22, 2008 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gblade

New Head-Fier
For Christmas I'm getting some new headphones, but I'm stuck between the 595's and the 600's. I've looked over all the specs and they look relatively the same but the 600's are $100 more. I've heard the 595's and I like them, but haven't heard the 600's. The 595's are nice because I'm a bass whore. I really like being able to hear the low end. What should I do? Which should I get?

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Christmas I'm getting some new headphones, but I'm stuck between the 595's and the 600's. I've looked over all the specs and they look relatively the same but the 600's are $100 more. I've heard the 595's and I like them, but haven't heard the 600's. The 595's are nice because I'm a bass whore. I really like being able to hear the low end. What should I do? Which should I get?

The 595 is anything but a basshead can, if you are a true basshead you might want to consider the Denon D2000 instead. To me the 595 is like the RS2, you are better off either with the HD555, or with the HD600. It isn't really in line with the Senn sound and comes off as a loser in the value/money ratio.

And if you want more help from us you'll need to tell us what genre you listen to.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 17
I assumed that the 595 would open up like my 570's which I've had for year and years now. Sounds like that would not be the case though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you want more help from us you'll need to tell us what genre you listen to.

I listen to all kinds of music, mostly hip-hop, grime and dubstep right now. Artists I like, that may give you some direction on what i listen to recently, are flying lotus, burial, wiley, and the glitch mob.

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 17
Why don't you wait a month? It sounds like Sennheiser is gearing up to release new headphones at CES. You might want one of the new models, though I think a few will be discontinued. You should be able to get a bargain then. Also, I think we're going to see a lot of headphones in the For Sale Forum so people can get the new models. If you can hold off, you'll get a deal.

Also, between the 595 and the 600, I like the 600 better. It's still one of the best headphones I've heard, with an excellent overall balance.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you wait a month? It sounds like Sennheiser is gearing up to release new headphones at CES. You might want one of the new models, though I think a few will be discontinued. You should be able to get a bargain then. Also, I think we're going to see a lot of headphones in the For Sale Forum so people can get the new models. If you can hold off, you'll get a deal.

Also, between the 595 and the 600, I like the 600 better. It's still one of the best headphones I've heard, with an excellent overall balance.

this is true, but you'll probably see a ton of 650's flood the FS forum after they release the 680's not so much the 600's. I have had the 595's for a few years and they are definitely fun cans but if you can afford it I would say the 600's they are light years ahead of the 595's. That being said if you want true bass I second all the rec's for the D2000's, they have detail and bass.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 17
So I also found some 650's for ~350 new. So I guess that's a contender as well. I'm partial to the way Sennheisers sound and feel. Ive had the 570's for so long I'm really in love with them haha. I definitely want to try some of the others, but will for sure be getting a pair of Senn's.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

So I also found some 650's for ~350 new. So I guess that's a contender as well. I'm partial to the way Sennheisers sound and feel. Ive had the 570's for so long I'm really in love with them haha. I definitely want to try some of the others, but will for sure be getting a pair of Senn's.

I love my 650's the best cans I have had so far. If you could for those I would suggest those. However you need a proper amp to drive them to their potential. What do you have in the way of amps? Checked your profile and don't see any equipment.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

They would be on my computer mainly. I may also use them on my receiver and with my turntables from time to time. I had a cmoy for a while, but misplaced it in a move.

I mean out of all the options you have the 595's are the best unamped. The 600's and 650's are notoriously hard to drive properly with very high ~300 ohm impedence. If you aren't going to be using a dedicated headphone amp I would recommend staying away from the 600+ senns. The denon D2000's which were mentioned b4 have a decently low impedence and you would probably do better with those unamped.

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 17
FWIR...

For the bass you're wanting the D2000 for under $200 shipped would be a good option. Then post and read in the amp forums for help with selecting an amp to buy with the remaining $150. One option for an amp you may want to consider is HotAudio's Mark IV USB DAC/amp which sells for under $150 shipped.

Other headphones you may want to consider for bass are the DT770 or an Ultrasone, maybe the HFI780. Edit: forgot to mention the DT150. But whatever you get, I suggest buying an amp with the remainder of your budget. Of these headphones, I would lean toward buying the D2000 or DT150.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR...

For the bass you're wanting the D2000 for under $200 shipped would be a good option. Then post and read in the amp forums for help with selecting an amp to buy with the remaining $150. One option for an amp you may want to consider is HotAudio's Mark IV USB DAC/amp which sells for under $150 shipped.

Other headphones you may want to consider for bass are the DT770 or an Ultrasone, maybe the HFI780. Edit: forgot to mention the DT150. But whatever you get, I suggest buying an amp with the remainder of your budget. Of these headphones, I would lean toward buying the D2000 or DT150.

x2.

There is no reason to go for something like a 600 or 650 when you cannot properly drive them. You would be much better off with the d2000 imho, then leave money for some sort of amp/dac combo as 1Time mentioned. It will maximize your cost to benefit ratio. Then when you are ready to upgrade you will already have dynamite cans and can spend money on source/amp upgrade. Then after that you could grab a pair of 650's.

There are some good amp/dac combo's on Audiophile China or you can look around on the FS forum to get a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back