HD 595 on a laptop
Sep 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

auD!o

New Head-Fier
Alright, I've decided to go with the HD 595 because I like how they are a good all around pair of headphones and most importantly because they fit in my budget.

However, I'm in college with nothing else than my laptop ( which isn't so bad because it's better than my pc ), the 7805u from gateway. I'd like hear your suggestion for soundcards ( at least ), and for amps ( if it's REALLY needed ). I know this might be weird to say this on these forums but I don't want to pay too much ( alright I said it LOL ), since I pay for my appartment, internet, food, etc.

With that in mind, I'd be thankful if you guys could help me out !

Thanks in advance!

-Dan

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the HD595 are fine without an amp, they get better (especially the bass tightens up), but they don't require it. I used it amp-less for a couple of months and if I were you I would save the money for something more important. BTW if you want to save money the HD555 are basically the same headphones and with a not so hard mod you can make them a 595, there have been a couple of threads about that but the conclusion is that the thing that differentiates them is a piece of foam, nicer exterior and a very nice can holder that the 595 includes (one of those threads is this one).

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 6
What about the sound card ? :S The 595 are ordered btw
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Congrats on the buy! I loved them while they were my main phones, and still remain as my gaming phones. I can't help you much with pc sound card recommendations (I'm a mac user), but I would look into emu 0202 or emu 0404, at least the 0404 is pretty good, and I think the 0202 wasn't that far away. And they're both DAC and amp. Although I recommend you trying them with the onboard sound to see if it satisfies you. Also in the computer audio section of head fi you have better chances of people answering you about the sound card.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 6
They will be fine as is. Sure they will improve with an amp, but its not as big of an improvement as you will find with other headphones.

Use them and love them, they are some great headphones, my favs for playing games, and they go well with rock music.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, I guess if I saw this thread earlier I would have said "Don't get the HD595 for a college setting because college is loud" but since you ordered them already, I'll tell you that I've had pretty good results with my HD595 on my Thinkpad R500. I'll admit it's a nice headphone but it's extremely mellow and might put you to sleep sometimes. I've personally fallen asleep three or four times on Friday nights listening to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back