hd 595 first impressions
Mar 8, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #16 of 39
if you have a pair of 595s and a copy of Billy Idol's Charmed life, i highly reccommend listening to Prodigal Blues. It is a pretty awesome test track that covers pretty much everything you would want in a test track, highs, lows, dynamics, bass, guitar, vocals, layers, nuances, detail, etc. I think you'll be quite surprised what the 595s are capable of.

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 39
It shines with acoustic and percussion. Do try PJ Harvey though
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
I'm A/Bing vs 580 and 595 blows it away in vocals. 580 seem very flat in comparison while 595 conveys alota emotion.

Congrats ! Exactly what I heard, that emotion thing vs 'drier' 580. Always wondered the negatives that people put here ... sucks life ... only good with chaintech etc. LOL.

:595smile:

Mar 8, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
It shines with acoustic and percussion. Do try PJ Harvey though
wink.gif

Oh yeah. PJ Harvey feels more "powerfully poetic" than ever.

You guys are making me wanna forget about everything else and rush in my bedroom right now and have some long listening, with a HD595 on the head...

:595smile:

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Welcome to Team Robots In The Desert!
biggrin.gif

Whats up with that??

I watch Star Wars A New Hope (the remade one) yesterday. Reminds me of CP30 and R2D2, 2 robots in the desert what a coincidence!
600smile.gif

Andrea, have u heard PJ Harvey's UH HUH HER?

Some tracks are bass shy, some are prominent (but never impactful). This is the only thing I cannot figure out with the HD 595. I can say the same for most of my other stuff too

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Whats up with that??

I watch Star Wars A New Hope (the remade one) yesterday. Reminds me of CP30 and R2D2, 2 robots in the desert what a coincidence!
600smile.gif

The robot suggestion was originated by gsferrari here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=robots+desert

I like my HD 595 and I kind of like the "Team Robots In The Desert" expression. Maybe it's just me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #22 of 39
mysticaldodo -- No, unfortunately. That's her only album I don't have yet. I want it bad.
mad.gif

On the 'unpredictable' bass of the HD595 -- I think we're simply not accustomed to the 'ideal', "flat" bass presentation. Think of nearly all 'amateur' speakers on the market, with their 'bass reflex' bass loading and resulting humps around 100 Hz...
Headphones look designed to replicate this behaviour we're all accustomed to, but a few exceptions survive... one of them being the HD595. IMO

And even the recordings in the first place may sometimes be meant to suit this generalised 'hearing custom'...

As regards the impact of the HD595's bass.
It doesn't match the impact of the HD650, granted. But then, what's satisfactory just depends on your own parameters.
To me, it's still quite impactful. So much so that I can happen to turn down the volume in fear of 'overloading' the drivers, even if the level was no more than normal... Paranoia
tongue.gif
, but it may convey the idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 39
I'm admittedly a Senn man. To be honest, I haven't seriuosly audioned any other cans
600smile.gif

My 595 only have some 10h on them. Sounds very promissing though. I allredy now have some decent bass extention.

Compared to my 650's? Well, not yet even a competition. The 595's are still far too tight in the soundstage department and in the impression of a transparent reproduction. I use them for streamed radio broadcasts on the PC.

Try this one folks

http://www.sr.se/p2/srk/

Lyssna meands listen.

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #24 of 39
595 is suppose to have narrower soundstage due to angled drivers. When you're sitting in front row, you're not going to have as big soundstage as sitting in the back. Thats why grado has almost no soundstage, cuz they're on stage.

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Compared to my 650's? Well, not yet even a competition. The 595's are still far too tight in the soundstage department and in the impression of a transparent reproduction.

The sense of 'openness' and transparency will only get better.
The 650 will become closer than you now expect...
I find the 595 to have a wide airy soundstage, here it's even better than the 650.

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

I'm A/Bing vs 580 and 595 blows it away in vocals. 580 seem very flat in comparison while 595 conveys alota emotion.

That's funny, my impressions were completely the opposite. I felt that HD 580, despite having a slightly veiled sound, conveyed far more emotion than the HD 595. HD 595 sounded dry and lifeless, but that was many months ago before I obtained much of the gear that I have now.

I really need to try the HD 595 again with my new sources and amps. Some people praise them very highly so I just don't think I was seeing their potential before. Bad synergy perhaps?

At any rate, I definitely don't find the HD 580 flat or lacking in emotion. There was also a time when I was unimpressed by the 580, so I think it's largely a matter of synergy with one's equipment (as well as preference in sound, but that's a given).

Mar 12, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #27 of 39
Been listening to Steve Earle's "El Corazón" (partly acoustic folk, partly genuine rock; an HDCD recording that sounds great on my non-HDCD player
biggrin.gif
). An album I had previously found to be reproduced stunningly by the 650. The 595 gets really close, but by another track. Actually I'd prefer another word here, which would be "lovely". Oh, and the bass impact isn't lacking.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
That's funny, my impressions were completely the opposite. I felt that HD 580, despite having a slightly veiled sound, conveyed far more emotion than the HD 595. HD 595 sounded dry and lifeless, but that was many months ago before I obtained much of the gear that I have now.

I really need to try the HD 595 again with my new sources and amps. Some people praise them very highly so I just don't think I was seeing their potential before. Bad synergy perhaps?

At any rate, I definitely don't find the HD 580 flat or lacking in emotion. There was also a time when I was unimpressed by the 580, so I think it's largely a matter of synergy with one's equipment (as well as preference in sound, but that's a given).

I'm skeptical about anyone's comments when they use 'lifeless.' No headphone that I've heard were ever boring. If they sound lifeless, its due to your music, not the headphone. I can understand why people would prefer the punchier 580 due to its midbass hump and it has more space between the notes. But when I listen to it, I find myself analyzing too much. With 595, I just enjoy the music.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

I'm skeptical about anyone's comments when they use 'lifeless.' No headphone that I've heard were ever boring. If they sound lifeless, its due to your music, not the headphone.

YESSS!!!

Mar 13, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

I'm skeptical about anyone's comments when they use 'lifeless.' No headphone that I've heard were ever boring. If they sound lifeless, its due to your music, not the headphone.

You're absolutely right. I've got over 60 GB of music and it's ALL lifeless, unemotional noise. I guess I need to go to the Music forum and get some recommendations.
teehee.gif

Last time I checked, Green Day, Norah Jones and Vivaldi were hardly lifeless.
rolleyes.gif

And besides that, if the music was lifeless, it would sound lifeless on any headphone, not just the HD 595. Awfully funny how it sounded just fine on every other headphone I had at the time...

I suppose you completely overlooked the part where I said the reason could have been due to my SOURCE at the time? Nah, different sources can't possibly make a difference in how a headphone sounds! It's just not feasible that there was a bad synergy between the HD 595 and my Audigy 2. I'm simply cursed with having lifeless music.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back