HD-580's vs. Grado SR225
Apr 30, 2002 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
i'm looking for a good pair of headphones for all-around music listening, more specifically targeting rock music (but not limited to). this will be my first set of quality headphones, and i'd like to ask reviewer's opinions regarding these pairs.

i've been reading up on countless forums for several days, and my choice has been whittled down to the Sennheiser HD580 and the Grado SR225. My budget right now won't allow for a separate amp, but within the next few months I could easily save up to buy a decent ~$200-300 amp.

these headphones will strictly be used on my computer (i have a TB santa cruz sound card), and will be used pretty often (2-4 hrs. a day) for gaming and for listening to music.

i'm basically looking for a comfortable pair that can take the place of my speakers and i'd like to stick with the two aforementioned headphones. of course i'm not strictly stuck on those two, but after reading up and posting in several forums i'd like to stick with those two for a discussion on their pros/cons. i've heard that the grados are great for rock, but that the sennheisers are better for gaming imaging and are more comfortable. any help on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 33
I prefer the Sennheiser flavor, and since you have an amp in the budget I think a 580 would make a better long-term purchase. They sound great and are comfortable enough to wear for hours on end... just the ticket for an extended gaming session.

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 33
I'd like to continue the pro/con discussion of the two headphones but Nick, what's your opinion of the HD600's?

for a long-term buy, would that be a better choice (compared to the HD580's)? i've heard that the HD580's have better bass, and bass is something that i prefer. money isn't overflowing right now, however, if i spent this much on a pair of headphones i'd like to keep them for a few years without wanting to upgrade them.

also, i've read up a lot on the grados and their good performance when it comes to rock tracks, but how do the sennheisers perform when say listening to some good ol' green day?

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 33
The 600's have tighter bass than the 580's which could be interpreted as less but more accurate bass. Not a big deal. Replacing the stock cable with a Clou cable will add bass. 580's are a killer start up the headphone trail and may very well be at the end of that trail. I think either one is a long term keeper.

I don't care for Grados because they sound artificially bright to my ears... and the frequency response graphs reflect this. Kelly seems to think they are designed for people who are losing their hearing in the upper frequencies. I *almost* agree with that. Others think the Grados are perfect.

As for rockin' out, everyone will have a different opinion. Even though the 580/MG Head combo is a lush sounding setup very different from a solid state/Grado rig, I found that it rocked with the best of 'em.

There's no way you will really know without trying them both... particularly when matched with an appropriate amplifier. I purchased my 580's blindly based upon the reviews in this forum several months ago, and after testing them against many others I still prefer them. If that isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is.

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 33
Order them both from HeadRoom, keep the one you like better, ship back the other.

Normally, I would recommend anyone interested to go ahead and buy HD600, why the **** not? They seriously sound good out of any source. But the recent bitching and moaning by various members about, "oh you NEED a better system" is why I have refrained from making same old suggestions that still stand, to avoid whiners.

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 33
would i be hard-pressed to spot out the differences between the HD580 and the HD600 from my computer source? (mp3's and CD's but mostly mp3's)

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 33
Hi, NewSc2!

Hope I can help you when I say the HD580 are more comfortable, the SR225 more portable - I tried them both. Soundwise, the '580 is a truly hi-end can, the '225 sounded to me like better Koss Porta Pro (better detail).

Bye
Moonwalker

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 33
well so far the overall consensus it seems has been the HD580's. i guess it looks like i'll be trying these out as there are a few going on eBay and on the FS/FT forum. (unless i find some killer deal on some good HD600's eh eh?
tongue.gif
*cough*anybodyoutthere*cough*)

it seems however that because the hd580's are definitely the more popular headphones out there that most people have been chiming in for those. can anybody out there give me a good opinion on the grado sr225's? i've heard rave reviews of the grado line until i posted here
smily_headphones1.gif

well anyways i live in CA and it's 4:30am and i have classes tomorrow so i'll be checking back probably in about 12 hrs. or so. good night all and thanks for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back