HD-580's sound leak request
Nov 27, 2003 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still a little erky on how much the HD-580's leak sound, although sadly it is impossible for me to try them out before I order them. Is it possible that someone could set up how much sound comes out of them from 1 meter away at at a couple different volumes?

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Open headphones leak nearly as much sound outward as they put out towards your ears, so if you were to take a pair of headphones off your head, hit play, and walk away, that's just a bit more than what others will hear while you're listening.

Nov 27, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 6
To put it this way. You cannot use them in a library a bus or any public place. But at home you wont be bothering other family members at night listening at moderate to loud levels.

They are loud. Others in the same room can definately hear what you are listening to. ITll be like a small portable radio with integrated speaker playing at medium to low level (when you listen at normal level.)

ALso make sure u understand that its not only you bothering others. Its others and external noises bothering you too.

Nov 27, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Correction - They are not as loud as you might imagine. Actually - db to db - the closed headphones that dont fit half as well as the HD580 leak more sound IMO.

I have no probs with the noise going outwards...no one has complained about it so far...

And the isolation is better than I expected - I can even use it on the bus and in the subway!!

Cheers!!

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 6
If you're in a library computer lab and those computers are humming away and the air conditioning is blasting, there's no way people will hear what you are playing on the headphones unless you're playing them at 110dB.

Nov 28, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 6
If I'm playing them at a moderately loud volume, I can hear them from up to about 15' away in a dead quiet room. This means the HVAC isn't on and the fridge isn't running either. Also, when I say I can hear them it means I hear that something playing, I can't make out vocals or intruments and I can't identify the song or what genre of music it is. If someone flushes the toilet or the HVAC comes on it cuts the distance roughly in half for me.

From a metre away in a dead quiet room I can make out words in vocals and hear the general beat in the songs. This is at a moderate volume. At a low volume, see what I wrote in paragraph 1, and at hearing damage levels I can understand the words and hear most of the intruments. It's kinda like hearing a clock radio from across the room. But if you listened to it that loud, sound leakage will be the least of your problems since you'll be rather deaf before too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back