HD 580s better than HD 600s?
Nov 19, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 37
You guys should have seen Steve's face as he sat listening to the 580s at Hirsch's. It was a portrait of true happyness and contentment. He was super excited and I for one am happy that he found what seems like a perfect match for his ears and listening taste.

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
bifcake -

It is really scary that I actually get all of your pop-culture references. LOL!

-j

This is what happens when you become an old fuddy-duddy. Once you start getting cultural references that predate 1985, you know that it's all downhill from here.

Quote:

You guys should have seen Steve's face as he sat listening to the 580s at Hirsch's. It was a portrait of true happyness and contentment. He was super excited and I for one am happy that he found what seems like a perfect match for his ears and listening taste.

I love the 580s (The Senn logo is imprinted on my cheeks from the hot cauldron). Having heard a number of phones at the NY meet, I can honestly say that there's no other headphone that I'd rather have. With the right cables, a good source and a good amp, it sounds soooo sweet. They can be truly refined with the right components. They don't offend when used with cheaper components, yet they bloom when used with great ones.

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Obviously, you are not an audiophile master. For every true master has gone through the cauldron stage. We wear our Sennheiser logos with pride, as a badge of honor and courage. <Gong>
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
I've actually got a beyerdynamic logo where that's supposed to be... but close enough
wink.gif

and like jpelg i'm finding it scary i know the references you're making as well
redface.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by bioxeed
smily_headphones1.gif
I've actually got a beyerdynamic logo where that's supposed to be... but close enough
wink.gif

and like jpelg i'm finding it scary i know the references you're making as well
redface.gif

This must mean only one thing: You got one foot in the grave. <Gong>

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #22 of 37
smily_headphones1.gif
all this HD580 loving has motivated me to go grab mines and put on some Kid A

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 37
I just got my HD 580s from Fedex today!!! I notice newegg is now out of stock and they raised the price $5 to $125. For the $6 super saver shipping charge they made it from CA to MD in two days. YMMV. They indicate the estimated time of arrival for new stock of the HD 580s to be 11/29/2002, for those who are interested. I think I'll be able to get the $20 sennheiser rebate, too. Of course these are not broken in (but I'm burning them in ON MY HEAD), and I've learned my lesson about posting early impressions, and posting an impression on the HD 580 as though it were an original thought is a conceit of the highest order.

So I will just comment briefly:

[size=medium]I am psyched!!! [/size]
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #24 of 37
Wow... if people can get the 580 from newegg for $131 and then get a $20 rebate, that's an amazing deal. I wish they caried 590s that cheap, I'd get a pair today! Have fun with your phones steve.

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 37
I just got my 580s also today. newegg is amazing, order processed shipped to my door in 2 days via fedex

I only had about 45mins to listen to them but they blow my v6s out of the water with my sub par listening setup.

(sblive->headphones)

At least I use the kxproject drivers that default output to rear output(higher quality I2S codec).

my sound card is weak when it comes to pushing these(I will get a real amp later)

First impressions(They did impress me right out the box): some of my mp3s sound like crap, but aural spacing is great, bass sounds pure and less mechanical than the v6s. Much more detailed high range than the v6, enough to see the flaws of mp3 high freq compression.

I then loaded up some of my uncompressed music in ACID. Very revealing, I noticed clips in my sound that I didn't notice beforehand. I have to fix my music later.

I'm very happy with these phones right out of the box. I plan to get some burn in going and also get my art di/o hooked up, and also get an amp.

$126 shipped is a hell of a deal. I hope the rebate will work!

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 37
Does anyone know where to get the little connectors for the 580 phones? I want to replace the cable. I'll do it myself using a microphone cable, but I need the connectors.

Should I start a new thread for that?

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #27 of 37
DW, get the hd580's instead. otherwise in 3 months when you've finally paid $180 for your hd590's you're gonna say that you wish you'd had gotten the hd580's when they were still available and were $120.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
listening to Garth Brooks, "2 of a kind, working on a full house"

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 37
Duncan: funny, I'd always thought that your custom title meant that you didn't like the combination
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 21, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Duncan: funny, I'd always thought that your custom title meant that you didn't like the combination
tongue.gif

Think of my custom title... erm, as being re-born
biggrin.gif

When I first got my HD580s & XCV2, I thought it was great... sold my original pair of CD1700s... then things went downhill... and I lost interest in the HD580s...

Now, with the new CD Player, and the Cardas cable... its love again
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #30 of 37
Yeah, xzeroR3, mine impress right out of the box too, and blow away my other headphones. I don't think I would have considered the HD 580s if they weren't so discounted. I feel very fortunate. Truly.

The V6s scream hey you!!! here's some low low bass!!!
eek.gif
And it's fun. The HD 580s perhaps have a shade less overt bass extension, but it sounds ample and natural and unforced. Very natural and unforced.
cool.gif

Even listening to the FM radio is fun with these... I hear little details I wasn't familiar with, a crunching guitar in the background here, background vocals there...
smily_headphones1.gif

And I get emotionally involved in the music really quickly.

Wow, what an awesome deal and what great service through newegg. I think the rebate's gonna happen, too.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by XzeroR3
they blow my v6s out of the water with my sub par listening setup.

First impressions(They did impress me right out the box): ...aural spacing is great, bass sounds pure and less mechanical than the v6s. Much more detailed high range than the v6, enough to see the flaws of mp3 high freq compression.

I then loaded up some of my uncompressed music in ACID. Very revealing, I noticed clips in my sound that I didn't notice beforehand. I have to fix my music later.

I'm very happy with these phones right out of the box.
$126 shipped is a hell of a deal. I hope the rebate will work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back