HD 580s better than HD 600s?
Nov 19, 2002 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Cool Headroom Graph:580s vs. 600s

I took a good long listen to the 580s and the 600s at Hirsch's Ultra-Fabulous Nov. 17 Head-Fi Meet yesterday. It was my very distinct impression that the 580s were a shade less smooth and more analytical and more detailed and less laid back.

I distinctly preferred the sound of the HD 580.

So I just took a look at the headroom graphs (see above). Don't they bear me out? Huh? Don't they? A little extra high frequency kick there in the 580s, eh? A little more mid-bass hump there, eh? That's what I'm talkin' about. That's what I want in my high-class uppity headphone. Not octave after octave of refined warm and mushy smoothness.

I was most blown away by the sound of the 580s. I ordered some today. After I get my 580s, I will be a better person. I know I have had my moral and intellectual shortcomings in the past, but after I get these headphones, it's no kicking around Mr. Steve anymore. I will argue passionately that my headphones are better than your headphones, even if you have the same headphones I do. I will be in the big leagues.

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 37
With great headphones comes great responsibility.
Don't give in to the dark side and insult the unwashed, unheadphoned masses - instead educate them in the ways of hi-fidelity.
Use your powers for good!

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 37
Yes wise one. I am over my heady intoxication and am back to my ascetic ways.

Masses: HD580s at newegg.com for $120 plus $6 shipping and you'd better believe I'm gonna try to get that $20 Sennheiser rebate too. Mine just shipped, so they look to be truly in stock.
smily_headphones1.gif

A shade more sparkle and mid-bass punch than the 600s, IMHO.

I'm so fricking excited!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
With great headphones comes great responsibility.
Don't give in to the dark side and insult the unwashed, unheadphoned masses - instead educate them in the ways of hi-fidelity.
Use your powers for good!

Nov 19, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 37
I too spent some time listening to the 580s vs 600s as I was curious if I could have been happy with the 580s instead of the 600s. I purchased HD600 headphones this past year without ever hearing them, based solely on my own taste in music, the opinions posted here, and technical information on sites such as Head-Room Corp.

Most of the time I could not tell the difference between these two phones. There were one or two vocal passages that sounded a bit rough on the 580s, whereas these same segments were much smoother with the 600s.

There was an output level mismatch between these two phones that made the 600s play louder unless the volume was adjusted after switching phones. I found this odd as the drivers are supposed to be the same.

On one particular passage, with tympani drums, I found the 600s to have more extended bass. Again, this could have been due to a level mismatch.

A couple of times I forgot which phones I was wearing/hearing and had to check the cable to be sure.

I also listened to the 590s for a bit, in comparison to 580s and the 600s there was less apparent bass. Also, there was a definite peak in the upper midrange on the 590s. Not unpleasant, but definitely there.

In summary, I could listen contentedly to any of these Sennheiser models.

The headphones that reminded me most of the 600s are the Beyer Dynamic DT - 931. Very smooth and balanced, with good bass and a bit more detail and extension in the high end. After looking at the smoothed and normalized response curve ofthe DT-931s vs the HD-600s on the Head-Room Corp website at www.headphone.com, it is easy to see why.

I did not however, achieve my goal of coming up with a great sounding headphone for under $100 that would be easy to drive by most amps, that I could recommend to friends. The Grado SR-80 comes pretty close, but I find these to be overly bright sounding and their comfort level is not up to the Sennheisers and some other phones.

Nov 19, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 37
Steve999:

Regarding HeadRoom's FR graph for the HD580, I think a simple mistake may have occurred.

Specifically, all of HeadRoom's other FR (Hz, dBr A) plots are normalized, i.e., indexed or zeroed, for the (x,y) point (0, 1k). In other words, the trace should intersect or pass through the point (0, 1k).

Thus, I'm guessing the HD580 FR plot should probably be shifted down on the graph's vertical axis.

I think a simple mistake may have been made early on, since the raw HD580 FR plot reflects this problem as well.

Sennheiser HD 580 - FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
http://headphone.com/showGraph.php?graphID=74

Sennheiser HD 600 - FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
http://headphone.com/showGraph.php?graphID=86

But I do see what you mean about the high frequency kick in the Smoothed Normalized FR graph. The HD580 definitely peaks where the HD600 dips!

In any case, congrats on your new acquisition! :)

TravelLite

Nov 19, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 37
"After I get my 580s, I will be a better person. I know I have had my moral and intellectual shortcomings in the past, but after I get these headphones, it's no kicking around Mr. Steve anymore. I will argue passionately that my headphones are better than your headphones, even if you have the same headphones I do. I will be in the big leagues." funny man. i'll be looking for those posts.
wink.gif

Steve, let's see if the love lasts past 6 months.

Nov 19, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
funny man. i'll be looking for those posts.
wink.gif

Strangely its taken me a year to FIND the love of the HD580s... These can take you so deep into the music, when everything is set up right (yes... I know there are better amps around... but don't forget the old addage that the X-Can V2 and the high end Senns are a damned good combination...)

On well recorded music (which it seems I have little of
frown.gif
) these can literally take you to a higher plain...

Steve... let me assure you, that this is only the begining of your journey...

...Welcome To Head-Fi... Sorry about your wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 37
Steve999
I am one of the people who think the HD600 is better than the HD580. Nick and I were both fairly convinced that they were the same headphone, differing only in cosmetics until we sat down with a comparison and realized we both had to admit we were wrong in public. That thread is here if you care to read it:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=11047

We did both agree the differences were small, though, and a $120 HD580 is certainly what I'd call a good deal.

Nov 19, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999

So I just took a look at the headroom graphs (see above). Don't they bear me out? Huh? Don't they? A little extra high frequency kick there in the 580s, eh? A little more mid-bass hump there, eh? That's what I'm talkin' about. That's what I want in my high-class uppity headphone. Not octave after octave of refined warm and mushy smoothness.

I was most blown away by the sound of the 580s. I ordered some today. After I get my 580s, I will be a better person. I know I have had my moral and intellectual shortcomings in the past, but after I get these headphones, it's no kicking around Mr. Steve anymore. I will argue passionately that my headphones are better than your headphones, even if you have the same headphones I do. I will be in the big leagues.

Grasspooper,

You must remember that you have conquered only one of your deamons. One must be humble, as one's intellectual shortcomings have not been abated, merely reduced. There is much to be done. You have taken the first step towards recovery. That step is important. Alas, one step does not the whole journey make.

It will be towards the end of your journey when you will encounter the hot cauldron. It will be your biggest challenge to pick up and move the cauldron with muscles of your gluteus maximus. Upon finishing the task, the Sennheiser logo will be permanently imprinted on your bare flesh. It will be only then that you will have achieved audio Nirvana and your chi will be strong. When you pass through the bass hump, you will become a true audiophilliac.

Go now, Grasspooper. Your journey awaits...

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
It will be your biggest challenge to pick up and move the cauldron with muscles of your gluteus maximus.

eek.gif
<- that prefectly shows my exact reaction to that line. before i started laughing anyway
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by bioxeed
eek.gif
<- that prefectly shows my exact reaction to that line. before i started laughing anyway
wink.gif

Obviously, you are not an audiophile master. For every true master has gone through the cauldron stage. We wear our Sennheiser logos with pride, as a badge of honor and courage. <Gong>
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 37
bifcake -

It is really scary that I actually get all of your pop-culture references. LOL!

-j

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
bifcake -

It is really scary that I actually get all of your pop-culture references. LOL!

-j

Signs of a mis-spent (or is that well spent) youth...
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Duncan and I have had similar journeys with the 580s. It's taken me a little less than a year from disliking them to absolutely LOVING them. Treat them right, and they will treat you right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back