hd 558 + mixamp pro + external mic OR a40's + mixamp pro
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

juldupp

New Head-Fier
I live in canada and if i just want astro's mixamp pro alone, its only available in the usa's, so its gonna cost me 200-220$ with shipping / taxes / border fees etc.
But, I can get the a40's and mixamp IN canada from ebgames.ca for 300$ shipped / tax in,
Right now i have Sennheisers hd558 which i love for competitive gaming (low bass and fine mids/highs) thinking about using theses + external mic 
Question is, would it worth getting the a40's headphones for an extra 80-100$ or my 558's are noticeably better?? 
Guess i need a good soundstage for virtual surround 7.1's array's of angles 

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 8
  I live in Canada and if i just want Astro's Mix-amp pro alone, its only available in the usa's, so its gonna cost me 200-220$ with shipping / taxes / border fees etc.
But, I can get the A40's and Mix-amp IN Canada from ebgames.ca for 300$ shipped / tax in,
Right now i have Sennheisers HD558 which i love for competitive gaming (low bass and fine mids/highs) thinking about using theses + external mic 
Question is, would it worth getting the A40's headphones for an extra 80-100$ or my 558's are noticeably better?? Thanks

Is this audio setup for a gaming console or Win PC?

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 8
The 558 sounds better than the A40s. I'd keep it and attach an external mic. I haven't formally reviewed the 558, but I REALLY like them. More than the 598, actually.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 8
  oh forgot to say that its for console gaming (PS4)

Might try to find a used Yamaha A/V receiver with HDMI.
Run HDMI cable from the PS4 to the receiver, and HDMI from the receiver to your TV.
Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
Plug the HD558s straight into the Yamaha receiver.
Someone might have a used receiver they are selling for for $100 (or maybe a few dollars more).

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 8
I completely missed the part where you can get the A40+mixamp for not that much more. I'd probably just spend the extra for the combo, and use the 558 whenever you don't need a mic.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Might try to find a used Yamaha A/V receiver with HDMI.
Run HDMI cable from the PS4 to the receiver, and HDMI from the receiver to your TV.
Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
Plug the HD558s straight into the Yamaha receiver.
Someone might have a used receiver they are selling for for $100 (or maybe a few dollars more).

It might be a lil too big if i wanna lan, is there smaller yamaha av receivers?

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 8
It might be a little too big if i wanna lan, is there smaller Yamaha A/V receivers?

To the best of my knowledge, nope.
Maybe try to find a used Mix-amp on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back