HD 555 vs HD 595 for unamped mp3 listening
Mar 13, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #31 of 48
PS...$220 is way too high--that's even two high for a nicely used set of 600's. Be patient and you will be rewarded (as hard as that may be
icon10.gif
)

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
PS...$220 is way too high--that's even two high for a nicely used set of 600's. Be patient and you will be rewarded (as hard as that may be
icon10.gif
)

confused.gif

I just checked a bunch of retail sites, and $200-250 seems like the average price. How is this too high for a new 595?

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #33 of 48
Hi guys

Thanks for ur pointers

I am in South Africa
eek.gif
so shipping will really MEAN shipping. Given the risk of possible import customs duty, lost packaging and the 2-3 week wait, I'd rather have peace of mind and get a brand new one. I worry that way
wink.gif

jagorev, I also did a google+froogle search and found some "price comparing" sites, and the prices I am getting here seem to be "relatively" close...

but of course nothing like 150$ for a used pair....wish I could get that as well darkninja
biggrin.gif

Cheers

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #35 of 48
I've seen a few more threads pop up about mp3 suitable unamped headphone usage, so maybe other new-buyers like me will find the following links useful....

There are many reviews here and on the web, but I find most use CD-audio as a source. So, the performance with mp3s is perhaps an unanswered question for many newbies like moi...

The reviews happen to be in French, so I put them through google translator which of course cannot do a perfect job, but you get the idea of what the "homme" is trying to say
wink.gif

HD 555 review
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

HD 595 comparative review (the other contenders not in same price league, so not a fair comparison of course , but the reviewer uses mp3 unamped source which is what I was interested in)

HD 555 and HD 497 review

PS. The last page gives head-fi.org an honorable mention by saying that we are "obsessed".... Obsessed?? What is obsessive about searching for headphone reviews and running them through a translator and posting them up to a forum entirely dedicated to headphones? Obsessed?! pffft....Mon Dieu!
biggrin.gif

Enjoy

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #36 of 48
If you're in South Africa and you want to buy new, you might be best off ordering whichever Sennheiser you choose online from Germany. Try this: go to google.de, check "Seiten aus Deutschland", and search for your Sennheiser model of choice.

Within the EU, atleast here in Finland, the online shops in Germany are generally recognized to be a good value. Sennheisers seem to be cheaper in the EU than in the US. The opposite is true for Grados btw. I don't know what kind of duties you'll be faced with in South Africa.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 48
Hello musicmind, I have ordered an HD 595 for my irver ihp 140 listening (known to be a good sound qualiy mp3 player)
and for now I m not sure if it was a good choice.
I had the HD 497 before, and when I first used those I was like WoW musics can sound that good with headphones. so I decided to go further with headphones and searched for the one which would introdce me to the real Hi-Fi without an amp.... there I found the HD-595.
So for now in comparison to my HD 497 ; my impressions with the 595 fresh from the box :
put it on my ears and wow circumaural is really great for comfy, my ears don't touch the bottom of the cans.
then sound on .. I was suprised by the awfull lack of bass... it had as much bass as my iriver earbuds...
so I let it burn for 20 hours ; and now bass is here, but not as good as the HD 497 , ok sound is detailled , more than 497 but that's not really impressive.
I m not sayin 595 are bad cans, but well I paid my brand new 497 for 60$ and brand new 595 for 166$ (bought them in France)
I thought that the difference between those 2 cans would be more impressive than the difference between my earbuds and the 497.... but no, there is a difference and it comes from really good to very good.
conclusion :
you can go to really good with 60$
and then go to very good with 166$
this decision deserve a second thought.

at last this opinion cames from a newbie and the HD 595 should maybe burn a few hours more. (I really hope so)

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoones
at last this opinion cames from a newbie and the HD 595 should maybe burn a few hours more. (I really hope so)

the 595's do need some more burn-in, but what really needs a burn-in now are your brains. it takes a while to fully appreciate the extra level of refinement that the 595's bring.

the bass for example is somewhat exaggerated on the 497's, while the 595's bring it just like it is on the recording, maybe just a wee bit shy of perfectly balanced. it's tighter though, and you'll learn to appreciate that, along with the better soundstage of the 595's.

don't ditch them just yet
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #41 of 48
yep firestarter, I know that 497 are probably exagerated bass, I m used to let my eq at normal with it when listening to rock / hip hop cause it has already enough bass.
basshead.gif

but my HD 595 were really weak in bass (none at the beginning) I said "were" because I just listened to them ; they were burnin in all day long ;p and it's already better...
you may be right, I have to train my brain and my ears to appreciate the details because for now it's not a major improvement for my listener's pleasure.
I might like the fun sound of the 497 because I m used to.
My reaction is due to the fact that when buying those headphones I thought I would be as much surprised as I was with the 497, but now I m remembering that actually on the first try of my 497 I didn't think it was that good....
hehehe I ll be patient, that's how I am , I always want everything right now...
icon10.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 48
Hi Yoones

Thanks for your feedback. I hope u tell us how the 595 sounds with a few more hours of burn-in and with your ears getting used to it
580smile.gif

(BTW, did u read the comparison review of the 497 and 595? There is a link a few posts back in this thread...see if u agree with it)

I guess the extra refinement of the 595 may take a while to notice and appreciate what a difference it makes, like with all things in life...you sometimes dont notice things the first time around.

And definitely we get used to what equipment we have been listening with before, so we feel our "old" equipment just feels like home because we are accustomed to the way things sound on them. I think this can be true of even something like a pair of glasses. When you get a new pair, it may take a while to get used to the new one.

Coming from the ipod buds, I am sure I will not be disspapointed, even with the Hd 555. But as Firestarter also mentioned, I will always wonder how much better the HD 595 sounds, so that is why maybe I think I will go for the 595.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna try to get the shop to knock a little more off the price, so I can feel a bit less guilty about buying such an expensive new toys
biggrin.gif

Thanks, cheers

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind

Coming from the ipod buds, I am sure I will not be disspapointed, even with the Hd 555. But as Firestarter also mentioned, I will always wonder how much better the HD 595 sounds, so that is why maybe I think I will go for the 595.

That's what I would suggest.

I bought the 555 (still have them) but I always wondered if I should have gotten the more refined 595. In the long run it's probably more economical (and a lot less hassle in your situation) to get the better of the two than buy the lesser and then upgrade. I really couldn't rationalize another phone that was similar to the 555, so I upgraded to an HD600, which has a different sound signature from the HD5x5 series.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #44 of 48
Yes Musicmind, I can say that this review sounds like how I feel the difference between HD 497 and HD 595, Except the impact of bass.
I mean I don't understand what does he mean by "impact" ,
I'm not a very technical boy in sound description, all that I can say is that 497 = big bass that may hide the details of real bass (bass as they are supposed to sound)
so yeah, 595 let you hear bass details,
after that I would say that they are very close because of the overall impression, listen to both of them you will know they are both quality headphones.
at last where 595 is superior is what people call soundstage and details ;
for me it's simply because it's circumaural : when you put it on your ear it's surprising, the source is located further than the source on 497 and there is a gap between your ear and it, that's what gives me more details, you dont feel like your ear is compressed by a cushion which probably change your perception of sound.

that's all, as I already told you there is a difference but not that big.
I suggest you not to buy HD 595 over 200$
it would be too much if you can get 497 or eq for 60-70$

for me difference between 5$ and 60$ headphones is waaay bigger than difference between 60$ and 170$
you should really consider that.

then I'm the kind of guy who won't buy a cardass cable for my hd 595, I may buy an amp but stricly the right one, there so many overpriced stuffs in this audiophile world.
rolleyes.gif

at last I'm not here to tell you that you shouldn't buy 595, they are good, may be expensive it depends, if you find them for 150$ buy them, go for 200$ or a lil more if you feel like you will love them, (I like their style!)
and try them if you can!

hope I helped a bit and remember that's just my opinion. you have to make yours.
wink.gif

bye

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #45 of 48
The happy ending is that I just got my.... HD 595
580smile.gif

I thought about all of the views and opinions that you guys gave and even though the 555 is definitely good enough and has a better value for money feature, I decided to spoil my ears and spend a little more and get the HD 595. For the many hours of pleasure that listening to good music can bring, I figured I would stretch for the extra cash and get the best I can get.

Thanks to all of you in this thread who gave your valuable input and opinions about my purchase question. With your help, despite being a total newcomer to the world of headphones, I managed to learn a tremendous lot about the different brands and models.

I will be burning my 595's in for the next week and enjoying the ride I am sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Team Sennheiser's newest member

Users who are viewing this thread

Back