HD-497 vs. MDR-V6
Aug 28, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 5
It depends what you want! (I have both.) They're both great, truly. Do you want open (497s) or closed (V6s). Do you want punchy and airy (497s) or super deep bass and deadly accurate (V6s). The V6s were more comfortable for me. You have to work VERY HARD at stretching the 497s if your head's too big for them, but once it's done they're very comfortable.

Aug 28, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 5
V6. especially for counterstrike, i play that too. 497 is open, so thats not good for computer gaming. (fan noise, not as good to tell where something is coming from in the game), the V6 are more accurate as well.

go to etronics.com to get them for $70 or so

Aug 28, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi,
V6 is my vote, but how about Grado SR-60? The grado is very forgiving of you mp3s and it sounds better than those two phones.

Purk

Aug 28, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Unless you have a Dragon Orb 3 or something, the 497's work fine for computer gaming. The SR60's on the other hand are totally unsuitable - the housing IMHO seem to 'box in' some outside noises like fan noise. The 497's are 'wear and forget' phones - OK, so the pleather can get a bit sweaty but then so can the V6 - but it's very lightweight.

THe 497's do adjust for REALLY big heads - just how big is your noggin, Steve?
biggrin.gif
If you do have a wide head, the 497's probably exert slightly more than necessary pressure on the ears. The 7506 (Are they really the same as the V6?) have a slightly looser fit.

Having said that, the V6's as I understand it are not much more expensive in the US than the 497 - in the UK, the V6 is not available, the MDR-7506 is typically £130 and the 497 is £40, so the choice would be very clear here, but for you, the choice would have to be based on whether to go open or closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back