HD 448 or ATH-M50
May 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

noneother

New Head-Fier
Anyone who has tried both got an opinion on which one to choose between the two?

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/sennheiser-hd-448.php

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

I'm not interested in another other headphones, only these two. I've only auditioned the HD 448 and sounds good, a tad bass shy. I'm curious about the M50 as well though but no retailers offer this to test.

I'll be using it with a Cowon D2 - no studio work, just pure recreational listening.

I'm after most balanced listening experience.

Thanks

May 6, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 14
i just received my m50 yesterday and i like it a lod
good amount of bass
and i'm getting my d2+ in the mail on friday
beerchug.gif

May 6, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 14
i don't feel the m50s have exaggerated bass in any way or form. when i got them (yesterday), i was actually surprised how balanced they were. i was expecting bass monsters, but didn't get that impression at all. i really don't see why people call these bass heavy, if anything i was a bit disappointed because i was expecting a bit more bass. yet i'm not complaining because heavy bass was something that i was worried about.

May 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 14
If you're already looking at the HD 448, consider the HD 428 as well. They're practically identical headphones behind the casing. The HD 448 comes with an extension cable and a pouch, which the HD 428 don't have.

I really enjoy the sound of my HD 428. Well balanced and detailed, with a decent sound stage for closed headphones. Instrument separation is very good.

May 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
i don't feel the m50s have exaggerated bass in any way or form. when i got them (yesterday), i was actually surprised how balanced they were. i was expecting bass monsters, but didn't get that impression at all. i really don't see why people call these bass heavy, if anything i was a bit disappointed because i was expecting a bit more bass. yet i'm not complaining because heavy bass was something that i was worried about.

I find the M50 bass to be exaggerated. but not TOO over emphasized. It's definitely more than many other cans. I happen to like it... a lot.
wink_face.gif

shane

May 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 14
The ATH-M50s sound pretty good when it comes to bass. They extend really far, yet they're very balanced sounding. At least, I'm used to a nice stereo setup with a subwoofer (also balanced), and these sound comparable to that.

May 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 14
I just got my M50 today and the bass is on the spot for me.  goes down nicely and also the mid bass isn't lacking at all.   a great combo of fun and analytical sound altogether because of their rather balanced and extended highs.  I think the mids are just a tiny tiny bit reccesed from being ruller flat but i prefer them this way.
going back to the bass..it is very tight,not muddy,boomy or any term like this.  I guess it depends on the system you are using because they probably can be a little boomy with certain system,but my headroom ultra micro stack keep them accurate and super tight. 

I wonder how they sound with tube amp?  anyone can comment on this?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 14
My M50s sound pretty flat to me, except for the mids being a little bit recessed maybe. It could just be that most systems make the mids a bit more forward for vocals and I'm just used to that though.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey, sorry for reviving this thread, but I just so happen to be in the same position and completely confused as to what to get
confused.gif
One thing though, my sister works at Compusa and can get the 448 for $65. They don't have the ATH-m50's. I like heavy rock, but heard the bass from the 448 is quite lacking... If this is the case, I don't mind spending $100 on the m50s, but, do you guys think I should just get the reduced price 448 even though it doesn't suit my genre? (Also, they'll be driven out of my iPhone) How does isolation/sound leakage compare? Thanks in advance :D

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Yes 448 is lacking bass. I would pick the M50, but it's your money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back