HD-25s, HD-280s, or Pioneer HDJ-1000s
Apr 22, 2004 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SiliconFOXX

New Head-Fier
Well, I think I've finally narrowed it down. Much as I'd like to look into the Sony V6s I really think I'd like to move away from Sony. Even if they are really good I'd like to try something else for DJing.

For reference, the most important thing to me is isolation and NO MUDDINESS OR DISTORTION. After my v500s I've HAD IT with that. Something clear, preferably as "all over" as possible.

So! With that in mind I decided to up my headphone budget to $200 and have looked primarily into three cans that I think will offer me comfort, the aforementioned qualities, and the ability to remove them and replace them quickly ('cause if that wasn't an issue I'd get the Etymotic Research canalphones for the sheer isolation).

First up is the Sennheiser HD-25s. Not the SPs, but the $180 ones. From what I've heard they're extremely good for DJing, offer AWESOME isolation, and sound really good all over, perhaps just a tad bit lacking with bass kick (but if they can be modified to fix this like with the "blue tack" mod that's acceptable...I love modding everything I've got, including the microwave). I've also heard that even if/when the plastic starts to break that it's not a problem to get them replaced. It DOES bother me that they don't fold up but I suppose sacrifices must be made and I'll just have to find a better way to transport them.

Second up is the Pioneer HDJ-1000s. I've heard great things about them in terms of isolation but more in terms of clarity in the bass range. Not overly boomly but very defined. Dunno much else aobut them other than reading one or two good reviews of them.

Last is the Sennheiser HD-280s. I read a bit about the blue tack mod for them to fix a bit of the sound quality in the bass department and don't think that's beyond my reach. With that in mind I hear they're pretty good overall, but I think they might be a step below the top two. If that's true then I might as well go for the step above, right?

Anyway, thoughts, comments on these? I'm leaning towards the HD-25s but I only heard from about two people that've used them. Your comments and opinions are greatly appreciated.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 7
About the HD280's - they are a little light in the bass, but can handle a good bass signal really well once they're broken in (around 75-100 hours with bass heavy music at high volume, but not so high where distortion sets in). Because the bass they put out is low bass rather than midbass (where they are a little lacking) you get good low end without muddiness. They isolate really well (stick a few books between them to stretch them out overnight if they're too clamping initially).

For around $75-80, they're a really good choice. In an actual DJ situation, you probably won't notice any difference with the blue-tak mod. It's a subtle mod that isn't quite worth going to the hassle of carefully opening up your cans and adding the blue-tak very evenly, etc.

appar111

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I made my decision. I'm going to go with the Pioneer HDJ-1000s. I'll let you know how they sound whenever I get some cash for them.

Apparently they have VERY tight, controlled bass and excellent isolation. No range is harsh, and the upper ranges aren't lacking supposedly. The sound for DJing when coupled with some ER20 earplugs is supposed to be awesome.

<shrugs>Well, we'll see. Surely they've got to be better than my v500s.

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 7
The Pioneer HDJ1000's plastic breaks kind of like the MDR-V700DJ. I hope you did not buy it already; otherwise, you will have to buy another pair soon.

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 7
You can get the HD-25s (non-SP) for $119 if you search froogle (I also posted a couple of links in another thread). They're pretty highly recommended here, and $119 is a really good deal. I don't know anything about the Pioneers, but the HD280 IS weak on the bass, and has an all-around strange tonal balance IMO.

Apr 23, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiliconFOXX
Well, I made my decision. I'm going to go with the Pioneer HDJ-1000s. I'll let you know how they sound whenever I get some cash for them.

Apparently they have VERY tight, controlled bass and excellent isolation. No range is harsh, and the upper ranges aren't lacking supposedly. The sound for DJing when coupled with some ER20 earplugs is supposed to be awesome.

<shrugs>Well, we'll see. Surely they've got to be better than my v500s.

Not so fast. I've heard of the right channel going out on the HDJ-1000s after just a few months of very light use. Thus, the HDJ-1000s are NOT as reliable as some people have made them out to be.

Also, the HDJ-1000s also deliver rather muddy bass that's quite overboosted, and harsh treble that reminds me of a cheap hi-fi.

In other words, they're almost as crappy as any craptacular-sounding Sony in the same price range.
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 7
I can only recommend the Sennheiser HD 25: balanced sound, tight and controlled bass, intimate sound, extremely good isolation, rather small -> very portable, everything is exchangeable -> if something breaks it is easily replaceable.
The Senn HD 280 are in my opinion extremely huge and uncomfortable and simply can't match the HD 25-1 for sound quality (simply my point of view).
The Pioneer didn't sound good at all to me when I tested them at a local electronics store, and as Eagle_Driver I wouldn't recommend getting them at all!

Honestly speaking: for 120$ you can't go wrong with the Senn HD 25 given that they once went for 200$.
It might be good to audition the phones you have mentioned and in the end, if you really like the Pioneer more, just get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back