HD 25-1 or AH-D1001?
Sep 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

applaudio

500+ Head-Fier
First off: yeah, I know they're in different price brackets, I know that one is supra-aural, the other is circumaural(-ish), and I also know that the sensitivity and impedance are very different between the two. What I want to know is which of these headphones will be the better choice for listening from a Cowon S9 with a portable amp (like the iBasso T4), and without an amp. Is the HD 25-1 worth the jump in price compared to the Denon?

Musical tastes: the full gamut of new rock (soft rock, emo, acoustic, alternative, hard rock, metal, punk, grunge, etc.)

If you think I'd be better served by one of the alternatives, I welcome your opinion. However, I've narrowed it down to these two for a reason: choice is bad.
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 19
I haven't tried the D1001... yet... but I can tell you that the HD25-1 II is very hard to beat as far as portable audio is concerned. I easily prefer them to all the portable cans I've tried in the Denons' price range. Comfort with the velour pads is great and they are built like a tank.

The S9 is definitely more than powerful enough to drive the HD25 without an amp (that 70ohm impedance is a bit misleading), but throwing a T4 in there will warm up the sound a bit and give the HD25s a little more juice to play with. A more powerful amp would give a bigger difference.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 19
The HD 25 is great, especially if you plan on wondering outside with it. No fear of breaking it, all part are replaceable.
Plus you can get some comfy velour pads on it.
Cant comment about the sq jump from one to the other but I can tell you the denon wont last you as long as the hd25 will.

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the D1001... yet... but I can tell you that the HD25-1 II is very hard to beat as far as portable audio is concerned. I easily prefer them to all the portable cans I've tried in the Denons' price range. Comfort with the velour pads is great and they are built like a tank.

The S9 is definitely more than powerful enough to drive the HD25 without an amp (that 70ohm impedance is a bit misleading), but throwing a T4 in there will warm up the sound a bit and give the HD25s a little more juice to play with. A more powerful amp would give a bigger difference.

Would a more powerful amp be worth the expense, though, for the difference it would make? I'm not even sure if I want to get an amp at all, but the T4 is one that I might be able to afford.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a more powerful amp be worth the expense, though, for the difference it would make? I'm not even sure if I want to get an amp at all, but the T4 is one that I might be able to afford.

Well... I was thinking along the lines of a mini3. It has quite a bit more muscle (at least compared to the T4). If you've got a bit of DIY know-how (or patience and some time), you can build one for ~$70. Alternatively, a brand new one can be had for ~$95.

Otherwise, you may not want to bother with an amp at all (or leave it for the future). The beauty of cans like the PX100 and HD25-1 is that they sound good unamped and scale up well.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Well... I was thinking along the lines of a mini3. It has quite a bit more muscle (at least compared to the T4). If you've got a bit of DIY know-how (or patience and some time), you can build one for ~$70. Alternatively, a brand new one can be had for ~$95.

Otherwise, you may not want to bother with an amp at all (or leave it for the future). The beauty of cans like the PX100 and HD25-1 is that they sound good unamped and scale up well.

Hmm... I suppose I could also try to find a good cheap amp in the FS forums...

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 19
I've owned a T4 and while it's a nice little amp I don't think it's needed for the HD 25, it isn't exactly a powerhouse amp anyway. I've been enjoying my HD 25 unamped from iAudio 7 and iPods. The HD 25 has enough quality that using my desktop amp & DAC brings it up a notch compared to portable sources. I recently bought the HD 25 at the $107 price and I'm very impressed.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a T4 and while it's a nice little amp I don't think it's needed for the HD 25, it isn't exactly a powerhouse amp anyway. I've been enjoying my HD 25 unamped from iAudio 7 and iPods. The HD 25 has enough quality that using my desktop amp & DAC brings it up a notch compared to portable sources. I recently bought the HD 25 at the $107 price and I'm very impressed.

Is that deal still around?

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Yep, the Newegg 50% off deal. I got mine then too (just couldn't resist). Came out to like $87 after bing cashback.

$87 !! what a steal. You should go to jail for that.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 19
i tried the D1001 and thought they were terrible. flappy inaccurate bass, veiled sound all over, short treble extention, poor build quality.... cant reccommend them. i would have to say the koss porta pros sound as good/maybe better than the D1001's.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 19
I'd vote for the HD 25-1 II, based on what i've read. i haven't tried them.

but one day i shall own a pair. Just not now.

I REALLY wish i had the stones to buy a pair when newegg had that fabulous deal.

Oh, and i've made 3 Mini3s now (different gains), and i'd definitely say get one or make one, with a gain level 5 (It's at the point where it'll work with IEMs and still power cans with a punch). If you've got a soldering iron, and a little bit of DIY electronics experience (or someone who has enough skill in electronics to teach you), it'll be pretty easy. i found drilling the faceplate to be the hardest part. that, and mounting the battery contacts.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 19
Well then, it can be done for you.

I don't know if you'd want me to do it for you, i've only built 3.

However, MisterX (here on head-fi) or rockhopper audio (google it) make mini3s for purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back