HD-201 vs HD-25 SP
Mar 17, 2006 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jruser

100+ Head-Fier
My HD-25 SP intermittent problem has gotten the best of me. They have to be replaced now.

I am open to other suggestions, preferable closed phones. I do not really want anothing Sennheiser since I am kind of angry for having the intermittent issue with very lightly used phones.

I might get the HD-201 though because they are so cheap. How would they compare sonically to the HD-25 SP? These are the only phones I can really compare to. All usage will practically be with a MINT amp.

BTW, if anybody knows any stores in Fayettville, AR or Joplin, MO where I could get some good phones that would be cool because I need some tomorrow. Or do they sell anything worthy at Best Buy?

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 15
HD201: not nearly as much isolation, and objectively not as accurate as HD25-SP. But subjectively I found them remarkably satisfying, when driven by a strong-ish source or amped. It was almost offensive how good they were, considering what I'd paid for other phones including the HD25-SP. No, scratch that: it was offensive.

Definitely try a pair - with your MINT they should sound pretty good, and it's not a big financial risk in any case.

Sorry to hear your HD25-SPs are cutting out. I would have expected those to be very durable, not very subject to problems like that.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 15
yeah. It is the same problem reported with the higher end sennheisers like the HD600 with the lousy contacts in the ears (where the spring thing contacts the removable cable).

both ears developed the issue. They were used a lot, but very gently.

Could anybody recommend a K26-P over a HD201?

What about an EH-150? I may be able to find them at circuit city, although headphone.com does not make them sound very good.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 15
yeah, they are just out of my price range at the moment I think.

Also, I would first like to get something by monday (spring break this week) and the AKG seem to take longer to get.

If I ordered them tomorrow from Headroom, when could I expect to get them?

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 15
Hm, I bet they could confirm with you over the phone. Btw, I would take HD201 over the K26P from AKG. The K26 has more very, very boomy bass. Imo HD201 beats in sound quality-wise in every way. (except for the fun-bass way of course)

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 15
hd-25 sp , best portable closed in the market .
akg k28 nc lighter collapsible alternative ( bassy )
ksc35 and portapro , the budget
I wouldn't look further if coming from 25 sp , you won't find much better .

not portable
and amped , you might take a look into hd201 - but I'll admit I've not been overly impressed with them .. in fact I've given them away .

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 15
Check out the Audio-Technica ATH-M30. I just picked up a set this morning and my first impressions are warm, airy, non-fatuiging. More satisfying than HD201's, but I was using those unamped. Well suited for my purpose of listening to mp3's unamped from a laptop at work. You can get them new on Amazon.com for 50 bucks.

See this thread for a review:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121011

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Although I'm not crazy about Koss KSC-35, they're great value/performer.
Also I second the AKG K81. They might be little expensive for your budget, but these will be hard to trounce in terms of build quality and sound.

You can order the AKGs from Todd and Headroom, our sponsor.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 15
I had a chance to listen to the HD25sp and I must say, I didn't like the sound signature. crackly, grainy, tons of high end and no bass. Much prefer the sound of the portaPros, SR60s, and PX100s to them. I'd say get the HD201, 202, or be brave and try the 205. I used them out of my Zen Micro/CMoy combo, and didn't like them much at all. Dunno why they would be crackly, kind of weird.

(edit for more info)

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 15
All this post has done has added more headphones that I am considering:

ATH-FC7
ATH-M30
HD201
HD205
K81

But for some reason I just have this gut feeling to get the Grado SR-60...

How cheap can these be had?

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jruser
All this post has done has added more headphones that I am considering:

ATH-FC7
ATH-M30
HD201
HD205
K81

But for some reason I just have this gut feeling to get the Grado SR-60...

How cheap can these be had?

get the sr-80 instead , or the ms-1 . Nice bass addendum on both , more air on both .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back