Having some major troubles with my CMoy...
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 20
If it works out of the case, and doesn't work after you case it up, it is probably a short somewhere. Presumably you took care of the exposed leads on your pot (and maybe jacks too).

It could also be a solder joint that is funky and only acts up when the board is stressed and flexed by casing. If it were me, I would flux and reflow the joints in the board (and maybe the panel parts too). I would also put heat shrink over the panel part leads to make sure they do not short.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
If it works out of the case, and doesn't work after you case it up, it is probably a short somewhere. Presumably you took care of the exposed leads on your pot (and maybe jacks too).

It could also be a solder joint that is funky and only acts up when the board is stressed and flexed by casing. If it were me, I would flux and reflow the joints in the board (and maybe the panel parts too). I would also put heat shrink over the panel part leads to make sure they do not short.

The problem now is that the amp doesn't work even when it's out of the case. I'm thinking of just rebuilding the thing. Atleast through my first amp build I've learned a couple of things in the process... Definitely, if I do rebuild it I'm heatshrinking the thing air tight!!
mad.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 20
Reflow the joints and maybe stick some small pieces of cardboard or something between the jack leads. It's a lot easier than starting from scratch.

No matter how many times you rebuild it, you may still get one bad solder joint that is not obvious.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 20
Still sounds like a short to me. There are several exposed leads on the top of your board and I could see how they would touch when packed down.

Also, did you clean the flux off the bottom of the board?

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #20 of 20
Well nevertheless, I'll be rebuilding the thing. Besides the fact that it ain't working, there are some things that I would like to change around anyways. The placement of certain components just aren't working for me. But I'll take account of some of the advice given here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back