Having hard time choosing Sony A35, A25 or ZX2
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, please help me to choose which one is best for me( value and sound quality). Are there big differences between these 3 models besides touch screen. I was thinking to get A25 and then my friend said why no a35 since it has touch screen and same sound quality as a25. and i did my research and found there's a flagship ZX2 with more beautiful touch screen and better sound quality. I'm really having hard time to decide which one to go with. Is ZX2 really worth to go with compare to these 2? And do I really need an amp for these devices?   

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi guys, please help me to choose which one is best for me( value and sound quality). Are there big differences between these 3 models besides touch screen. I was thinking to get A25 and then my friend said why no a35 since it has touch screen and same sound quality as a25. and i did my research and found there's a flagship ZX2 with more beautiful touch screen and better sound quality. I'm really having hard time to decide which one to go with. Is ZX2 really worth to go with compare to these 2? And do I really need an amp for these devices?   

you should post your question on the Sony A-30 forum here http://www.head-fi.org/t/815843/new-sony-nw-a30-series/795 as well as browse the posts there and read peoples impressions of the A-35 player as many of them own both the A-25 and A-35 and some the ZX-2 and can give you a better idea of the other differences between the players.whatever you choose i'm sure it will sound great as I've yet to own a Sony Walkman that didn't sound fantastic

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 5

you should post your question on the Sony A-30 forum here http://www.head-fi.org/t/815843/new-sony-nw-a30-series/795 as well as browse the posts there and read peoples impressions of the A-35 player as many of them own both the A-25 and A-35 and some the ZX-2 and can give you a better idea of the other differences between the players.whatever you choose i'm sure it will sound great as I've yet to own a Sony Walkman that didn't sound fantastic

I heard some people say that iphone is better than a30 lol 

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 5
personally I haven't heard the A30 series yet,but i do own six other Sony Walkmans and they all destroy anything by Apple as far as sound quality and user friendly options are concerned (i.e. Apple forces you to use their proprietary codecs whereas with a Sony Walkman you can play almost any kind of media file in existence -including itunes files so that if your current music library is ALAC or m4a files they will play on a Sony Walkman)

with a Sony you get EQ you can customize (3 different custom settings as well as presets) whereas all the Apple products only come with preset EQ selections you can't change (and having heard the iPod's deepest bass setting it doesn't even match a Sony's +1 bass setting,as i listen to a lot of electronic music clear distortion free impactful bass is a crucial feature for me) - also the Walkman is a dedicated music player whose battery life will last between 30-50 hours depending on what kind of files you are listening to,how loud the volume is,and how many features you are using (on the A-10, A-20 and A-30 series)  meaning you don't have to recharge it every 24-48 hours like a phone.personally i don't use any other feature other than EQ and ClearBass with my Walkman players and have always found the added bells and whistles to be more of a distraction than useful,the Sony house sound is warm,full and alive.not cold or digital whatsoever.

and while i'm not a fan of Apple, the iPhone/iPod sound quality is not bad. it's just not great imo. but personal tastes differ, that said though every one of my friends who  listen to music on their iPhones or iPods who have heard any of my Sony Walkman's have always been impressed by how much better the Walkman players sound (a few have even gone out and bought a Walkman afterwards).

if you are in the U.S/ and buy an A30 from Amazon you'll have 30 days to test it out and if you find you don't like it you can send it back,but be sure to order the A30 player from BuyWiseCorp as they sell with the English language menu option version (i guess at least one customer ordered from a different seller on Amazon and got the Japanese version of the player which does not have English in the menu). and so far he is the only one to give the A30 a 'bad' review (actually it wasn't a review,just him pissed off he got a Walkman he couldn't program as he doesn't speak Japanese.lol

this way you have the month to decide if you like the player enough to keep it,which i have a feeling you will.

the only reason I don't own an A30 is because all six of my older Walkmans all still work fine (i have four DAPs one mp3-cd Walkman as well as a oldschool MiniDisc Walkman and love them all). so am I biased towards Sony? absolutely but with good reason.they sound amazing and last forever if you take care of them.

here is the link for Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/SONY-Walkman-NW-A35-charcoal-black/dp/B01LYFB9QR

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 5

Hopefully I can give you some help here.   I own the Sony A35s, the Sony ZX1, the Sony A15 and the Sony Zx100.

The sound of the ZX2 (and the ZX100) are better than the sound of the A35, there is no doubt about it. Whilst the A35 is no slouch in the sound department it falls short (expectedly) of the higher end models.  These mosels have more weight in the bass and a more spacious sound stage.  Of course these models cost more money.  Is the sound difference worth it?

I would say if you could afford it to go with the ZX100 - it's a great player, it sounds better than the old sony flagship model (the ZX1, which I have).. and is close in sound to the ZX2, though the ZX2 has wider sound stage again.  I gotta say that I really love the ZX-100 and you should consider it if you can live without a touch screen.  Plus the boot up time is instant on the ZX100, whereas the boot up time on the A35 takes about a minute and a half.

If your budget cannot stretch an extra couple of hundred to the ZX100 I would say you would be happy with the A35.  It still sounds good and if you amp it up can sound pretty good indeed - but still not near the ZX100.

I hope this helps:  As a quick summary of sound quality..... I would say this would be the formula.

Zx2>Zx100>ZX1>A35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back