Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Apr 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,356 of 2,486

Well, my Havis cracked last night while I was removing one from my ear. 2nd pair this happened with. Sigh. Is there something similar SQ wise out there? I can't get my heart broken a 3rd time.
Have the cracking issues been addressed by Havi??? 

That sucks :frowning2: However! You can glue them back together with no ill-effect to sound. Both shells on my Pro I have fallen to pieces (literally) at some point. Superglued them back together. No change in sound.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,357 of 2,486
Yeah, you are super lucky, mine began to crack in the first week. Noticed when photoshooting them, planning on writing my first review
frown.gif

Man I hate to hear that Leo, sure wish Havi would find a good alternative shell material and make a new V2 run of the Pro 1. To this day one of the best sounding iem's I've ever listened too period (more so with big clean power)
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,358 of 2,486
Hmm, I wonder if climate/humidity has any influence on the cracking issue. I've got four pairs (age four years to two months) and no cracking over here.....

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,359 of 2,486
Hmm, I wonder if climate/humidity has any influence on the cracking issue. I've got four pairs (age four years to two months) and no cracking over here.....

I have been thinking the same thing for some time now. Seems some plastics change their makeup when heated or cooled down, some even keep drying over long periods of time. Not unlike rubbers (tires especially) that sit unused over time dry out and crack. Seems the shape and density of the Havi shell have some similar issues. Like you my pair is over 3 years old now and nary a crack one. (may have just jinxed myself)
eek.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,360 of 2,486

How is it where you live? I'm in the PNW in the US. Pretty mild temps (24F low in winters, 80-90F high in summers) with somewhere near 60-80% humidity. But with the relatively tame temperatures we have, the humidity isn't as bad as it is in other places so it may not have as much effect on the materials.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #2,361 of 2,486
How is it where you live? I'm in the PNW in the US. Pretty mild temps (24F low in winters, 80-90F high in summers) with somewhere near 60-80% humidity. But with the relatively tame temperatures we have, the humidity isn't as bad as it is in other places so it may not have as much effect on the materials.

Winter can be as low as 0F here and summer 80-90F if we're lucky, humidity is usually 60-80% here as well.

Right now it's 40F and 75% humidity here.....

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,362 of 2,486
Any thoughts on something similar to the Havis? And anybody know if the Pro 2's are prone to cracking?

Sorry, missed this post.

The closest I've come with spending a small fortune would be the Blue Ever Blue Model 1200EX. Similar amazing soundstage and natural sound as the Havi's but a bit more energetic up top and better bass impact.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,363 of 2,486
I wonder if it speaks to the (lack of) quality if the shell can by cracked and re-glued with no ill effects to audio quality.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,364 of 2,486
I wonder if it speaks to the (lack of) quality if the shell can by cracked and re-glued with no ill effects to audio quality.

The drivers are housed in a separate enclosure inside. Based on my busted pair, it seems only the top portion of the housing where it meets the inner enclosure, and where the vent is under the glass, is the important part. I consider it a huge plus that they can be glued back together with no ill effect.

No doubt about it, Havi needs to change the housing material. It's not a minor issue and really shouldn't be overlooked. I get that the Pro models are getting old, but housings that simply fall apart under little to no stress is pretty bad, haha. That said, even with these issues I'd still give the Pro I a 4.5 out of 5. The Pro II I bought will be getting the same score.

As @peter123 noted, the 1200EX would probably be the next best thing to the Pro 1 without breaking the bank. It's a very nice earphone and the build is more confidence inspiring (imo).

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,365 of 2,486
I have glued them twice when the shell simply separated. Their glue job failed the first time, my glue job failed the second time.
rolleyes.gif
This time they actually cracked and a small piece of plastic broke off, but they are now resting after a bit of surgery by me. All this glue will have my head leaning to the right. Likely to get a stiff neck. 
tongue_smile.gif
Haven't tried them since the latest glue job, but i didn't notice any change in sound the last time. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #2,366 of 2,486
Sorry, missed this post.

The closest I've come with spending a small fortune would be the Blue Ever Blue Model 1200EX. Similar amazing soundstage and natural sound as the Havi's but a bit more energetic up top and better bass impact.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will take a look at them. Are they comfy? The Havi's almost seemed custom made for my ears. Perfect fit and barely noticed I was wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back