Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Jun 12, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,036 of 2,486

Frankly, you'd probably be able to simply find the posts in here where you've described it, copy/paste, and the review would probably be ready to go lol. You've had plenty of write-ups in here that would be right at home in a review. I'm just surprised you still don't have a review of anything posted somewhere on Head-Fi reviews, you seem to know your stuff. By contrast, I've got no idea what I'm doing
tongue.gif
, though I still put up a couple random reviews anyway. I think I might write up a few more this summer. Several things in my possession right now that could do with a review. Actually, pretty much everything haha. Of all the stuff in my current possession listed in my profile, I've reviewed literally none of them, even stuff I've had for a while like the Havi B3 and Sennheiser HD600. Maybe I'll get around to it at some point haha.

You're too kind! I am still coming to terms with all the terminology and learning to appreciate the different nuances of a sound. Truth be told, I have been running the havi with subpar amps and my macbook mostly, and I want to wait until I can run them off a proper amp before I put anything to paper, as it were. I really want to do them justice :) I am planning to buy a powerful boutique amp from china and its in its final stages of production and its designed specifically for high impedence earbuds and iems. Given than Havi scales with gear, I want to be able to comment how they sound properly amped. I feel that the Fiio e17, as great as it is as an all in one solution, doesn't have a capable enough amp to drive the Pro 1s to their true potential. I have done all I can to get the most out of havis, so the amplification remainsthe last piece of the puzzle.

Actually I have seen you around head fi on various threads and you definitely have a handle on the details and def know your stuff :) 

I don't know if I come across like a hardcore Havi fan boy, but the Pro 1 continues to surprise me, despite having owned them for quite some time, unlike my other gear. To put it in perspective, I like it more than my Sony XBA Z5, and Havi costs like a tenth of what the Z5 retails for normally. I am looking forward to what they bring to the table when they release the B6 and B6 Pro.

Edit: I just realized my status has changed to supremus. Wow didn't expect that so quickly! Also I will definitely have some reviews coming up soon for other gear in the coming weeks :wink:

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #1,037 of 2,486

You're too kind! I am still coming to terms with all the terminology and learning to appreciate the different nuances of a sound. Truth be told, I have been running the havi with subpar amps and my macbook mostly, and I want to wait until I can run them off a proper amp before I put anything to paper, as it were. I really want to do them justice :) I am planning to buy a powerful boutique amp from china and its in its final stages of production and its designed specifically for high impedence earbuds and iems. Given than Havi scales with gear, I want to be able to comment how they sound properly amped. I feel that the Fiio e17, as great as it is as an all in one solution, doesn't have a capable enough amp to drive the Pro 1s to their true potential. I have done all I can to get the most out of havis, so the amplification remainsthe last piece of the puzzle.

Actually I have seen you around head fi on various threads and you definitely have a handle on the details and def know your stuff :) 

I don't know if I come across like a hardcore Havi fan boy, but the Pro 1 continues to surprise me, despite having owned them for quite some time, unlike my other gear. To put it in perspective, I like it more than my Sony XBA Z5, and Havi costs like a tenth of what the Z5 retails for normally. I am looking forward to what they bring to the table when they release the B6 and B6 Pro.

Edit: I just realized my status has changed to supremus. Wow didn't expect that so quickly! Also I will definitely have some reviews coming up soon for other gear in the coming weeks :wink:

@RedJohn456, how'd you like to try the Aune B1 with the B3 Pro 1's? The B1 will drive them more than fine. PM me your details and I'll make you first on the Canadian tour... can ship it to you this weekend.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,038 of 2,486
  It's really hard to feel like I have anything truly meaningful to add, though. I'm very much a follower here; I buy things I read about in other people's reviews—and usually after they've gained a fair amount of popularity. Most of the headphones, DAPs, and amps that I own have had so much coverage here from far more experienced reviewers that my input will just be redundant. Someone like me does not rate alongside the likes of Baycode, Brooko, |joker|, and many others whose names I have yet to memorize.

Extra perspective is always welcome with any product. I'd never rate myself beside greats such as Baycode, Brooko, |joker|, or mark2410 either, but I'll offer what I have to others in the hopes that someone somewhere finds my insight helpful.

I see you've got a Fiio E17 listed in your gear. It's not necessarily subpar I'd say. Sure, there's other more expensive and high-end stuff that might be better, but you're not working with total crap. The B3 still sounds great out of something like an iPod Touch 5th gen (what I use for convenience) and it sounds a little better coming out of my TP30mkII/D20 desktop stack. I personally feel like I've gotten what the Havi's have to offer. I have other things that outclass it, but it's always gonna be in my stable as nothing quite hits the spot like it does in the price bracket.

Now YOU'RE being too kind haha. I don't think I know my stuff all that well. I certainly don't know how to describe what I'm hearing too well
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,039 of 2,486
  Extra perspective is always welcome with any product. I'd never rate myself beside greats such as Baycode, Brooko, |joker|, or mark2410 either, but I'll offer what I have to others in the hopes that someone somewhere finds my insight helpful.

I see you've got a Fiio E17 listed in your gear. It's not necessarily subpar I'd say. Sure, there's other more expensive and high-end stuff that might be better, but you're not working with total crap. The B3 still sounds great out of something like an iPod Touch 5th gen (what I use for convenience) and it sounds a little better coming out of my TP30mkII/D20 desktop stack. I personally feel like I've gotten what the Havi's have to offer. I have other things that outclass it, but it's always gonna be in my stable as nothing quite hits the spot like it does in the price bracket.

Now YOU'RE being too kind haha. I don't think I know my stuff all that well. I certainly don't know how to describe what I'm hearing too well
tongue_smile.gif

I wasn't aiming to put the E17 down. It is a fantastic piece of kit for the price. Even more so that I picked it up second hand for dirty cheap. It is more the fact that recently after a lot of a/b back and forth I actually find the amp and dac to be superior in my macbook in comparison to the E17. That to me says that I need to get something that is an upgrade to my onboard gear :)

I am not expecting a night and day difference when amping them properly, but I am optimistic to see how well they scale with gear :)  Experience will come with time so keep chipping away at it :wink:

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,040 of 2,486
If you really want to see how the Havis perform without amping try plugging them into a Dualshock 4 and playing video games with them, minus an amp in the chain. Lulz.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,041 of 2,486

I wasn't aiming to put the E17 down. It is a fantastic piece of kit for the price. Even more so that I picked it up second hand for dirty cheap. It is more the fact that recently after a lot of a/b back and forth I actually find the amp and dac to be superior in my macbook in comparison to the E17. That to me says that I need to get something that is an upgrade to my onboard gear :)

I am not expecting a night and day difference when amping them properly, but I am optimistic to see how well they scale with gear :)  Experience will come with time so keep chipping away at it :wink:

I've got all the time in the world to just sit back and hear the music. And you've got plenty of time to make upgrades. Either go slowly up the chain or shoot right to the top and hit the lower stuff on the way back down. The upgrades will come in due time haha.

If you really want to see how the Havis perform without amping try plugging them into a Dualshock 4 and playing video games with them, minus an amp in the chain. Lulz.

I've run them unamped many times out of my iPod Touch 5th gen and while not quite as nice since I have to pump the volume output like halfway or more, they still sound very good. Part of making something sound good is just having decent source. I dunno how the audio sounds over bluetooth from a PS4, but out of a iPod Touch, it's pretty good.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #1,042 of 2,486
I can't speak to the iPod, myself; my iPod died a while back and I will never buy another one. Considering I can get a 64GB MicroSD card and a FiiO X1 for far, far less than any current-gen iPod (perhaps other than a Shuffle or Nano?) there is literally no incentive whatsoever to support Apple's overpriced, underwhelming cultist goods. (I'm not suggesting that you can't enjoy yours, though. My stance on iPods is very much my own.)

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,043 of 2,486

I've got all the time in the world to just sit back and hear the music. And you've got plenty of time to make upgrades. Either go slowly up the chain or shoot right to the top and hit the lower stuff on the way back down. The upgrades will come in due time haha.

I've run them unamped many times out of my iPod Touch 5th gen and while not quite as nice since I have to pump the volume output like halfway or more, they still sound very good. Part of making something sound good is just having decent source. I dunno how the audio sounds over bluetooth from a PS4, but out of a iPod Touch, it's pretty good.

I am not in a hurry to upgrade. I took my time to even get my first amp and dac and even more so before I got the E17. But yes, I try not to muck around in the same tier and only get more stuff if it is clearly better. Its been awhile since I got my E17 :p

Its not only the volume that the amp improves. If I am comparing the output from my phone and macbook, even at similar volumes I can tell that the phone amp is struggling. The sound is more dull and lacking a lot of the PRaT and dynamics that I can hear with my macbook and E17. Its interesting to finally see how the sounds differ being powered by different sources. So yeah haha. I am in no rush to upgrade but the way things worked out I have a few pieces of gear coming my way starting next week. So it will be interesting to say the least. 

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,044 of 2,486
  I can't speak to the iPod, myself; my iPod died a while back and I will never buy another one. Considering I can get a 64GB MicroSD card and a FiiO X1 for far, far less than any current-gen iPod (perhaps other than a Shuffle or Nano?) there is literally no incentive whatsoever to support Apple's overpriced, underwhelming cultist goods. (I'm not suggesting that you can't enjoy yours, though. My stance on iPods is very much my own.)

Totally understandable, can't blame ya either, Apple's stuff, while I think is good, is still overpriced. It just happens to be my multipurpose smart device cuz I don't have a smartphone
biggrin.gif
. Data plan charges are ridiculous with Verizon, but they provide the best service in my area.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,045 of 2,486

Most of my music is streaming via spotify premium and I have a vast music collection in the cloud thanks to that. So something like an iPod would be a boon to me. And oddly enough, the dac/amp quality for iPods, iPhones and MacBooks are class leading according the measurements. They charge a lot but in terms of audio quality they really bring their A game.

My next phone might be an iPhone and even if its not I plan on picking up an updated iPod if they ever get around to releasing it.

Edit:
Was a pc user for longest time before switching to mac and never looking back. You don't know what you're missing man, don't knock it till you try it :p  Not really cultist goods imo. I had an iPhone years ago and it was way better than the androids of that time. Now its more even playing field but when it comes to laptops, MacBooks are hard to beat :)

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,046 of 2,486

Most of my music is streaming via spotify premium and I have a vast music collection in the cloud thanks to that. So something like an iPod would be a boon to me. And oddly enough, the dac/amp quality for iPods, iPhones and MacBooks are class leading according the measurements. They charge a lot but in terms of audio quality they really bring their A game.

My next phone might be an iPhone and even if its not I plan on picking up an updated iPod if they ever get around to releasing it.

Edit:
Was a pc user for longest time before switching to mac and never looking back. You don't know what you're missing man, don't knock it till you try it :p  Not really cultist goods imo. I had an iPhone years ago and it was way better than the androids of that time. Now its more even playing field but when it comes to laptops, MacBooks are hard to beat :)

Macbook is quite a thing, I run a Macbook Air. But my PC tower will do everything my Macbook does and one important thing it doesn't: game. So my Macbook is great when I'm running around, but the PC tower is perfect for relaxing.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,047 of 2,486
Given that everybody is saying that the havi will sound better with a dedicated amp, I will only be using them with a sony xperia phone and a laptop, what are better choices of IEM for use without an amp? So is it better to pick a more efficient IEM?
I am no audophile and I am looking at a decent sound with comfort and good isolation for cycling and long flights.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,048 of 2,486
  Given that everybody is saying that the havi will sound better with a dedicated amp, I will only be using them with a sony xperia phone and a laptop, what are better choices of IEM for use without an amp? So is it better to pick a more efficient IEM?
I am no audophile and I am looking at a decent sound with comfort and good isolation for cycling and long flights.

I owned the Havi B6 B3 for a long time before I got my first amp and I still enjoyed it but ymmv. What type of music do you listen to? That might help narrow down choices, and whats ur budget? Do you like cable up or cable down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back