Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Jan 25, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #2,281 of 2,486
Have them both back at the office today, so I guess it's going to be another 1:1. I suppose my coworkers think I'm weird for switching headphones throught the day, especially because "they all sound the same" ahah.

From when I demoed the SE846 for a short while in a store, I didn't find it to have a sound signature I liked. Just in that respect alone without considering fidelity (which I did feel in terms of dissecting each frequency, the resolution and clarity was better on the Shure), the B3P1 is the better choice for my ears between those two IEMs. It provides very good sound for the low cost.

I see what you mean. In terms of value for money, the B3P1 truly kick SE846 butt. For most users it wouldn't even make sense compare a 55e model to a 900e one, but I'm not truly an IEM aficionado and like to try out weird combos.

I've been trying to catch the 846 failing behind the B3P1, but that does't happen. The 846 is better at every single aspect (all the freq range, separation and positioning, build quality and so on). When it comes to soundstage width, the difference is very small, with the Havi sometimes even sounding wider and airier. The main Havi disadvantage is that they can sound a bit thin sometimes. Sound isn't as full and lush, there's a more discernible presence in the midrange.

A weakness of the Shure is that it has a bit of an early treble roll off - they have the resolution but  could use a bit more sparkle and detail at the high end. The Havi have the same issue, to a worse extent, but still sounding detailed and acceptable.

So right now I'm really wanting to figure out if that extra fuller sound is satisfying enough to justify keeping them of pocketing back the $ and perhaps looking into other IEMs to start comparing with the Havi. :)

The huge return window means I still have one month for this. Hoping to get some KZ models (ATE and ZST at least) plus a Monk very soon, so I think I'll do some even more outrageous comparisons between cheapos and the 846.

Just popping in to say the B3 Pro II is pretty awesome as well. Not sure if it was updated at the same time as the Pro I, but the pair I bought is not the terrible pile of garbage I was expecting it to be. Nice little boost in bass quantity over the Pro I with a touch less treble emphasis. Overall pretty minor differences. It preserves the general Pro I signature and qualities (soundstage in particular) albeit with it's own charm. Quite enjoyable!

The Pro 2 got bashed a lot but I never heard it. In reality, didn't really expect it to be much more different, except having more bass. The bass of the Pro 1 is not that much in quantity but quality is pretty good. I like the part of treble emphasis, since the B3P1 could use a bit more upper end brightness.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,282 of 2,486
  The Pro 2 got bashed a lot but I never heard it. In reality, didn't really expect it to be much more different, except having more bass. The bass of the Pro 1 is not that much in quantity but quality is pretty good. I like the part of treble emphasis, since the B3P1 could use a bit more upper end brightness.

They've surprised me by not being crap, haha. The more I use them the more I'm appreciating the extra low end. Quality seems to be the same, there's just more of it which is exactly what the B3 needed for me. Tried EQing the additional bass into the Pro 1 and it just distorts, so the Pro II is a perfectly functional, distortion free alternative.

Just to clarify, the Pro II has a bit LESS treble emphasis vs. the Pro I. Its not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. I never found the Pro I particularly sparkly and overall pretty mellow, so it's a moot tuning change imo. This doesn't bother me even though I like my treble prominent, as evidenced by the Finder X1 being my fav in-ear :D

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,283 of 2,486

I see what you mean. In terms of value for money, the B3P1 truly kick SE846 butt. For most users it wouldn't even make sense compare a 55e model to a 900e one, but I'm not truly an IEM aficionado and like to try out weird combos.

I've been trying to catch the 846 failing behind the B3P1, but that does't happen. The 846 is better at every single aspect (all the freq range, separation and positioning, build quality and so on). When it comes to soundstage width, the difference is very small, with the Havi sometimes even sounding wider and airier. The main Havi disadvantage is that they can sound a bit thin sometimes. Sound isn't as full and lush, there's a more discernible presence in the midrange.

A weakness of the Shure is that it has a bit of an early treble roll off - they have the resolution but  could use a bit more sparkle and detail at the high end. The Havi have the same issue, to a worse extent, but still sounding detailed and acceptable.

So right now I'm really wanting to figure out if that extra fuller sound is satisfying enough to justify keeping them of pocketing back the $ and perhaps looking into other IEMs to start comparing with the Havi. :)

The huge return window means I still have one month for this. Hoping to get some KZ models (ATE and ZST at least) plus a Monk very soon, so I think I'll do some even more outrageous comparisons between cheapos and the 846.

It's more than even the price/performance, in which the B3P1 clearly dominates to me. When I listened to the SE846, I wasn't really all that happy with its particular sound signature. The ratio of bass in conjunction with how it transition from mids to treble just was off to me. Fidelity-wise, as you said, it's better than the Havi in every single individual aspect, but I never found it as cohesive. So considering those thoughts, then factoring in the price difference, I'd pick the Havi over the SE846.

I will say, there's probably much bias and skewing of my opinion in regards to the SES846 and I'd like to be clear that it's not a bad IEM by any means, just not quite for me. It might have to do with the super short period I demoed it for, or that I demoed a Noble K10A after it which was much more to my taste
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #2,284 of 2,486

@BadReligionPunk here you go https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-KZ-ZST-Dedicated-Cable-0-75mm-2-Pin-Upgraded-Plated-Silver-Cable-2-PIN/32738979652.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.4.C6Pu5P&scm=1007.13339.33317.0&pvid=592ea49d-49eb-49c4-abe4-3715f02bb5ab&tpp=1

IMHO with the right tips & seal the Havi B3 Pro 1 can't be beat for the $46 I paid for mine a couple years ago
bigsmile_face.gif
Out of my U2 Classic through the JDS C421 the Havi's are absolutely one of the finest I've ever had or listened to period and yet this crazy disease keeps me hitting the pay now button
rolleyes.gif

Sorry to jump OT, but what's the story on your ipod? Don't think I've seen a shell like that before

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2,285 of 2,486

They've surprised me by not being crap, haha. The more I use them the more I'm appreciating the extra low end. Quality seems to be the same, there's just more of it which is exactly what the B3 needed for me. Tried EQing the additional bass into the Pro 1 and it just distorts, so the Pro II is a perfectly functional, distortion free alternative.

Just to clarify, the Pro II has a bit LESS treble emphasis vs. the Pro I. Its not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. I never found the Pro I particularly sparkly and overall pretty mellow, so it's a moot tuning change imo. This doesn't bother me even though I like my treble prominent, as evidenced by the Finder X1 being my fav in-ear :D

Hm interesting.. How is the B3P2 soundstage compared to the B3P1?

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,286 of 2,486
  Sorry to jump OT, but what's the story on your ipod? Don't think I've seen a shell like that before

Bought mine years ago Mr. T, I guess Chris is still building them as I just googled this: http://www.yotank.com/

As advertised on their site you can literally drive over this case with a Hummer and not hurt your DAP and only scratch the Yo-Tonk
wink_face.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,287 of 2,486

Hm interesting.. How is the B3P2 soundstage compared to the B3P1?

Didn't notice much of a difference but the P2 does lack a bit of the airiness of the P1 due to it's lowered treble presence. Comparing the two sort of reminds me of the Meze 11 Neo vs. 12 Classics and Brainwavz B100 vs B150 comparos. The B3's sound very similar and perform pretty much the same but with some minor shifts in frequency emphasis.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,288 of 2,486

The B3 Pro 1 would probably not be the first IEM in my arsenal for bass-oriented music. That said, with a proper seal, the B3 is competent down low. 

I strongly recommend getting the JVC Spiral Dots (MS Size) for the Havi B3 Pro1. I was fairly tip-agnostic until having some A:B comparisons with them and the improvement with the Havi is substancial. A lot more body in the midrange. Bass gets tighter and better in quality, not just quantity.

I'm actually playing  with several tips at the moment and tried a few old ones I had.. the Spiral Dots are the only ones that make the Havi sound get close to as lush as on the SE846. It really improves the Havi a lot. What is curious is that my Spirals are a bit small so the seal is addequate but not extreme. They're also soft and comfy.

what about the MS size? there are 5 size available and I have no idea about the MS and ML size
I use M size senn double flange right now, I want to get SD but M size is out of stock everywhere here
I can get MS or ML if its the same size as senn double flange M

another question, anyone here have any recommendation for headphone ver. of havi that cost around 250?  maybe a little bit more if its worth it
I want to get one for home use, after some research I think R70x to be the closest one

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,289 of 2,486

what about the MS size? there are 5 size available and I have no idea about the MS and ML size
I use M size senn double flange right now, I want to get SD but M size is out of stock everywhere here
I can get MS or ML if its the same size as senn double flange M

another question, anyone here have any recommendation for headphone ver. of havi that cost around 250?  maybe a little bit more if its worth it
I want to get one for home use, after some research I think R70x to be the closest one

Yea R70x is pretty nice. Don't think you'll find many others for that price.

To achieve a similar soundstage, the cans probably need to be open back. I coulsn't afford the R70x so went for a Somic V2 instead. Tonality is pretty close to me, and is relatively inexpensive.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #2,290 of 2,486

Yea R70x is pretty nice. Don't think you'll find many others for that price.

To achieve a similar soundstage, the cans probably need to be open back. I coulsn't afford the R70x so went for a Somic V2 instead. Tonality is pretty close to me, and is relatively inexpensive.

Yeah, I've been thinking about HD6XX or K7XX but as reviews said they are slightly warm, and then HD600 and HE-400i a little bit over budget but I'm not sure if its worth the extra (I can get another pair of havi for that extra lol)

this is the first time I heard of that brand, but after I read a review I think its pretty good for the price, ChiFi never ceases to amaze me

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,291 of 2,486

Yeah, I've been thinking about HD6XX or K7XX but as reviews said they are slightly warm, and then HD600 and HE-400i a little bit over budget but I'm not sure if its worth the extra (I can get another pair of havi for that extra lol)

this is the first time I heard of that brand, but after I read a review I think its pretty good for the price, ChiFi never ceases to amaze me

Get an HE560! Haha, jk
tongue.gif
. But why not consider the K7XX though? I can understand the comments about warmth for the HD6XX because it's an HD650 with a new paint job, but the K7XX sounded more flat to me. I just never stuck with it because it lacked something for my tastes; I dunno how to describe it, but maybe a certain livelihood that the HD600 did better for me? Anyway, I say to keep the K7XX on the list to consider. Kinda sucks you aren't somewhere easy to find a demo. Anyone in Indonesia close by with a pair who could lend it to you for demo? That would be best.

EDIT: Actually, you could still get an HE400i if you're willing to buy used. RazorDog Audio has them for $250. Another offering from Hifiman (that I actually don't know how it sounds since I haven't read much about it) is the MassDrop HE-350. The main thing I know about it is that it's a normal dynamic driver and it's quite cheap (relatively speaking).

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,292 of 2,486
  Get an HE560! Haha, jk
tongue.gif
. But why not consider the K7XX though? I can understand the comments about warmth for the HD6XX because it's an HD650 with a new paint job, but the K7XX sounded more flat to me. I just never stuck with it because it lacked something for my tastes; I dunno how to describe it, but maybe a certain livelihood that the HD600 did better for me? Anyway, I say to keep the K7XX on the list to consider. Kinda sucks you aren't somewhere easy to find a demo. Anyone in Indonesia close by with a pair who could lend it to you for demo? That would be best.

EDIT: Actually, you could still get an HE400i if you're willing to buy used. RazorDog Audio has them for $250. Another offering from Hifiman (that I actually don't know how it sounds since I haven't read much about it) is the MassDrop HE-350. The main thing I know about it is that it's a normal dynamic driver and it's quite cheap (relatively speaking).

I'm still considering K7XX actually, but because I can't really get the idea of its sound from the reviews except its great soundstage, K7XX is my only reason not to pull the trigger on R70X right now, I can't make my decision until I have a better idea of its sound because I have no idea where I can find it for demo, and yeah it sucks

I tried RazorDog, but unfortunately they can't ship here :frowning2:
about HE-350, I've read some reviews about it, they said its a treble monster out of the box. they are getting better after extensive burn in, but I don't think it will change that much to the level of Havi's sound signature. I'm not saying that its bad, as I never try it myself, just (maybe) not the sound I want

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,293 of 2,486
I had a b3 pro 1 about 2 years ago and I read that there has been a tiny chance in sound in the current version. Mine came in a little transparent plastic and the current comes in a bigger Paper Box. Did anybody who perhaps heard/owns both and can confirm this?

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,294 of 2,486
I had a b3 pro 1 about 2 years ago and I read that there has been a tiny chance in sound in the current version. Mine came in a little transparent plastic and the current comes in a bigger Paper Box. Did anybody who perhaps heard/owns both and can confirm this?

Yes, I've got both and can confirm this. The difference isn't huge but was enough for me noticing it straight away without knowing it when I got the new one. After contacting Havi they confirmed it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,295 of 2,486

I'm still considering K7XX actually, but because I can't really get the idea of its sound from the reviews except its great soundstage, K7XX is my only reason not to pull the trigger on R70X right now, I can't make my decision until I have a better idea of its sound because I have no idea where I can find it for demo, and yeah it sucks

I tried RazorDog, but unfortunately they can't ship here :frowning2:
about HE-350, I've read some reviews about it, they said its a treble monster out of the box. they are getting better after extensive burn in, but I don't think it will change that much to the level of Havi's sound signature. I'm not saying that its bad, as I never try it myself, just (maybe) not the sound I want

I've always felt the K7XX to be of the analytical tonality category rather than the natural tonality of the HD600. So that makes it a relatively neutral can with great soundstage. I don't recall any frequencies that felt particularly pronounced or emphasized with the K7XX, so I'd say you're right to keep it in consideration. Perhaps you can put an ad up in the forums to see if anyone is somewhere near enough with a pair you could demo? Good luck either way, the R70X seemed to also be a good choice from the stuff I've seen about it.

That's too bad, I knew they shipped internationally but I guess where you are is an exception.
Yeah, I haven't heard the HE-350 either. On paper, it's a good deal, but I dunno about its sound signature so I wouldn't know if I like it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back