Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #856 of 4,032
Hey all. After reading/browsing through the entire thread, I became intrigued by the Havi's. Can anyone compare these to the GR07BE and/or RE-400? The reason I ask is because I currently own the RE-400 as my on-the-go pair with my Sanza Clip. I also have an unopened pair of GR07BE that I can sell if the Havi is comparable to it. I apologize for missing any comparisons if they have already been posted.

Second, if I were to get the Havi B3, it would be the "Old Version" from Penonaudio right? Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #858 of 4,032
Hey all. After reading/browsing through the entire thread, I became intrigued by the Havi's. Can anyone compare these to the GR07BE and/or RE-400? The reason I ask is because I currently own the RE-400 as my on-the-go pair with my Sanza Clip. I also have an unopened pair of GR07BE that I can sell if the Havi is comparable to it. I apologize for missing any comparisons if they have already been posted.

Second, if I were to get the Havi B3, it would be the "Old Version" from Penonaudio right? Thanks in advance.
I have the gr07 BE and the havi.

Here are the things I prefer in each of these:

Havi B3: ***With an amplifier***Has a more reference sound. More articulate and detailed. Much better for instruments and has a better sound stage. Highs are less sibilant.

Havi B3 ***without an amp*** The Havi B3 is inferior to the GR07 BE in every way.

GR07 BE: ***Compared to amplified b3*** Much easier to drive than the b3 (sounds awesome amped or unamped). Closest thing I own that sounds like the havi but with more impressive bass. GR07 BE has better bass in both quality and quality). GR07 BE has crisper treble if you prefer this. GR07 BE has more dynamic sound than the b3. GR07 BE plays all genres of music well (Havi's even response and balanced bass is better suited for rock and alternative and less suited for edm). The gr07 BE has a better cable and accessories. The fit is more customizable on the gr07 BE.

***If Havi B3 is not amplified*** The gr07 BE is superior in just about every way.

Both are winners, but if you buy the Havi B3 an amp or high output player is necessary.

PS If you get the Havi get the pro I (old version).

PSS Penonaudio is awesome.

Jul 5, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #859 of 4,032
@nmatheis I tried to sleep with my Duni trident and it just doesn't comfortable. the trident sticking out too much so I can't lay on my side. I think something sitting plush in my ear like the PL50 or the Havi will be better.

With the Havi, if the sound is impressive enough I'll think about buying it AND another cheap earbud to sleep with. 
So is the Havi that uncomfortable?

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #860 of 4,032

Forget the B3 with Sansa Clip unless you add an amp to the system. I cant use it without an amp through Sansa Fuze. But if you're talking about Clip Zip I have no idea. . .

For me Havi B3 Pro1 beats GR07 (haven't heard the BE ver. yet) in every way except sub bass presence.

And I second @hisoundfi , B3 Pro1 is a reference class iem.

. .. and yes, Penon is a right place to order.

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #861 of 4,032
@pss395 your answer is related with your ear size and shape. I can put my head on pillow with B3 but smaller ears may have trouble. The only way to know is trying them...

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #862 of 4,032
@nmatheis I tried to sleep with my Duni trident and it just doesn't comfortable. the trident sticking out too much so I can't lay on my side. I think something sitting plush in my ear like the PL50 or the Havi will be better.

With the Havi, if the sound is impressive enough I'll think about buying it AND another cheap earbud to sleep with. 
So is the Havi that uncomfortable?
unless you have giant wombat ears the havi will probably be too big to sleep with.

My favorite cheap iem for sleeping are the Sony mdr-ex58v. They can be had for $15 usd. They fit flush with my ears, sound AWESOME for the price (even at low volume) and have a handy volume control knob on the cable as wellas a cinche cable to keep things snug.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #863 of 4,032
unless you have giant wombat ears the havi will probably be too big to sleep with.

My favorite cheap iem for sleeping are the Sony mdr-ex58v. They can be had for $15 usd. They fit flush with my ears, sound AWESOME for the price (even at low volume) and have a handy volume control knob on the cable as wellas a cinche cable to keep things snug.

So you mean I should buy the Havi just for listen to music then? Still, at normal usage, is it too uncomfortable? I usually use my iem for about 4 hours a day, so comfort is a must.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #865 of 4,032

. Heeey I don't have any ears suchas you describe. Be careful with your descriptions @hisoundfi LOL! :))

Our descriptions are nonsense if you don't try yourself. On the general comfort side -they are comfortable for me-

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #866 of 4,032
. Heeey I don't have any ears suchas you describe. Be careful with your descriptions @hisoundfi LOL! :))

Our descriptions are nonsense if you don't try yourself. On the general comfort side -they are comfortable for me-
Lol, sorry friend, didn't mean to offend you.

And yes ymmv with trying gear. I speak only from my own personal experience with these.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #867 of 4,032
Yeah, I don't have wombat ears either, and B3's are very comfortable and fine for sleeping. I'm offended beyond description!
wink_face.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #868 of 4,032
My Havi b3 (original) arrived today and I started burning ASAP. But I must admit that we are facing something wonderful here :) Even though the design of drivers make me feel something is wrong (I tried switching L and Rs but no avail. Tried running the cables over my ears but it made things worse IMO, reduced the impact with double flange tips) I must say that I loved what I hear :)
PS: The sticky portion of drivers are almost out of concha. I don't think I am doing somethin' wrong.

One note for buyers: Do not buy unless you have something strong as a dap. Listening the same song on my ipod nano 7 and lg g2 and macbook air mid 2013 via Audirvana helped me see that clearly. Will try this with my ak100 with the same song :)

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #869 of 4,032
Been using the B3 with my X5 + E12 DIY and love the sound but have the same problem I have with nearly all IEMs - left stays in, right pops out. To combat this, I use Comply tips with most IEMs to force them to stay in - might have to break down and try a CIEM.

As far as comfort goes, my only problem is the wire rubbing on the top of my ear - especially while wearing glasses. Don't think I'd like this while sleeping. Going to to try some ear guides from other IEMs today and see if that helps. This sensitivity makes me nervous to try over ear IEMs in general and is my biggest sticking point with CIEMs.

I find sleeping with something like ZA Tenore or Yamaha EPH-100 is pretty comfortable. Shallow insertion means they fall out for me before any damage is done to me or the IEM. A bit nervous about Tenore durability, though...

That said, I usually sleep with Yuin earbuds. Pretty comfy while falling asleep. Fall out if I toss around too much. Don't block out so much noise I won't hear if there's a problem with one of my kids or a :ph34r: sneaks up on me :wink_face:.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #870 of 4,032
@tamirci and @nmatheis welcome back :)

you can try different sized tips appropirate for each earcanal. There are variations in the earcanal sizes of individuals and if your size variation is high -say, a medium size for both earcanal wont fit for one of them-. But if you already tried this, there is no option other than comply tips and/or trying as many different brand/type tips as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back