Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #826 of 4,032
I got my B3s earlier today from Penonaudio, took about 6 days including the day that I actually placed my order. I have to say that they sound great so far. Powering them out of my DX50 or S5, they don't have any problems just having such a great sound.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #827 of 4,032
Just dropping in to say I bought the Havi B3 Pro-1 after extensively scouring for hundreds of pages every post that compared and talked about the B3 and the Ostry KC06. Very satisfied with my purchase. As others have said, this IEM is extremely fit dependent. I have found that after swapping in and out every tip, I agree with the general consensus that the Sennheiser double flange tips (now included in every package) are far and away the best tips (for me) in both fit and sound quality. I'm very glad that this IEM was not backed by senseless hype. I had the impression that most of the people who corroborated it as a good IEM had very discerning taste and constantly gave detailed precise evaluations of its sound and performance.

One more thing I'd like to add is that while everyone seems to recommend a good amp to drive it, I am using a very cheap Fiio E7 DAC+AMP right out of my computer and it sounds very good. I have no doubt in my mind that a quality amp/source would elevate these to the next level, but even for the more casual listener who doesn't quite own the best most expensive gear, these still sound fantastic and do not disappoint. Part of why I jumped on these was that I had a feeling that even with my relatively inferior set up, I was pretty sure that they would still sound good. Thankfully I was right. The scalability with better hardware is simply a plus as in a way it's simply hedging for the future. They already sound great now, and whenever I do decide to purchase better equipment, I already know that they'll sound even better.

+1. I rarely see one-line reviews here.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #828 of 4,032
Guys have you tried to drive them from cheap sources, like smartphones.
I would like to use them with my Lumia 520, i don`t have money for DAPs or portable Amps now.

Are they still worth?
Almost everybody says they need to be amped.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #830 of 4,032
@altrunox
I am able to power them from my S5 with little problem. The problem lying in the fact that touchwiz has the stupid volume limit. I don't know how my phone stacks up to the Lumia 520 in terms of power, but I guess that can help you with some reference.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #831 of 4,032
  @altrunox
I am able to power them from my S5 with little problem. The problem lying in the fact that touchwiz has the stupid volume limit. I don't know how my phone stacks up to the Lumia 520 in terms of power, but I guess that can help you with some reference.

My only IEM now is SHE3580 and i use 12% of the volume of the 520, volume shouldn`t be a problem.
And if its dry the power maybe I can use my Phillips SoundDot for save my smarthphone battery.

Do you think they still sound great on S5?

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #833 of 4,032
Guys have you tried to drive them from cheap sources, like smartphones.
I would like to use them with my Lumia 520, i don`t have money for DAPs or portable Amps now.

Are they still worth?
Almost everybody says they need to be amped.
In my opinion you'll enjoy these just fine. I think one of the strengths of this IEM is their ability to scale incredibly well with superior hardware, but that is not to say they sound bad with ordinary sources. I still think they sound great out of my Nexus 5 all the same. I'm sure they could sound even better out of a nicer source, but they still sound great.

I think a lot of headfiers are incredibly discerning listeners that have invested heavily in this hobby such that a small step back in sound quality from not using a 'good' source is simply more apparent to them. So when making recommendations to others that are equally invested in this hobby, they will emphasize these differences out of their consideration. Since you don't own any of that nice gear in the first place, its not like the B3 is at a disadvantage compared to any of your other earphones/headphones. They simply could sound even better, and that's probably true of all headphones to varying degrees.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #836 of 4,032
Havi is one of the hard to drive iems. Even harder than some hp's.

For some sources you may have difficulty to drive them while with others havi can shine... I have mentioned iphone 5 previously. Its one of the weak power sources for Havi. I have used 90% volume as I tried it...

BTW, Topping NX1 is an excellent budget amp to hang out with B3. Highly recommended!

(I bought my NX1 from dx at 36usd incl. shipping with tracking number. But it was out of stock for a while. So you have to check...)

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #837 of 4,032
I just got these and something seems off. The SS and separation sounds great, but the tonality is off, especially bass and lower mids. They sound like they're underwater or something. Upright bass in jazz for example lacks detail - its just of a nondescript thud.  I'm driving them with the X3 on high gain.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #838 of 4,032
  I just got these and something seems off. The SS and separation sounds great, but the tonality is off, especially bass and lower mids. They sound like they're underwater or something. Upright bass in jazz for example lacks detail - its just of a nondescript thud.  I'm driving them with the X3 on high gain.

Try the double flange Sennheiser tips and using low gain - it should be enough.
Are you sure you bought MK1?

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #839 of 4,032

Try the double flange Sennheiser tips and using low gain - it should be enough.
Are you sure you bought MK1?

Yeah, pretty sure. Got it from bigbargainonline. I remember there was a "pro 1" hand written somewhere on the packaging.

I'll try those tips. I may just have unrealistic expectations. I was looking for an IEM version of the Mikros 90 which have exceptional clarity. Someone recommended these. They just don't seem very clear/transparent so far. Kind of murky. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #840 of 4,032
There should be a sticker on the actual plastic container the iems came in that reads "pro 1" on it. The bass doesn't sound murky, but rather tight and punchy albeit they aren't the main focus of the iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back