Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,032

Baycode

Headphoneus Supremus
Havi B3 Pro1 is a dual dynamic micro driver iem (diameter of each dynamic drivers are 6mm).

Are you looking for clarity, very wide sound-stage, excellent imaging, separation and linearity; natural and neutral (accurate) sound in an iem that has above average isolation and very minor microphonics; then you came to right place, answer is: Havi B3 Pro 1
Bassheads and fun seekers look elsewhere because this sound signature wouldn't (or may not) fit your preferences! Hi-Fi seeking audiophiles, you're on the right spot :)

Am I hyping the Havi B3 Pro1 ? Read-on and find the impressions from the users...

EDIT: 6 reviews added by bhazard , Tom22 , JoeDoe , Audiophile1811 , Wokei and Baycode and 1 Video review added by Tom22 Please check the bottom of the page for the LINKS.

First of all, lets see what is B3 Pro1 and the company behind it:

Some information and photos from the Havi official web site, the brand is supposed to originate from USA, producing in China : http://www.havi.hk/

Info about the main company (google web site translation from Chinese to English):

Havi company is headquartered in New Jersey Monica, segment located in the beautiful banks of Dongguan Chang An Zhenlian Rd. Since its inception has been focused on the development of multi-unit music headphones, original Balance Dual patented sound chamber structure to ensure that the product in perfect tone lighter and more nimble. HAVI has a unique understanding of the professional music headset products, plump and smooth pursuit in tone, improve the sound quality of music to express emotion in place under the premise. September 2013 HAVI twin driver iems, B3 honor dynamic market, get the praise music lovers on the market. B3 balance in the industry for the first time in 4-wire technology, which greatly enhance the musical details. 30 sets of oxygen-free copper cable for the first time, with a more powerful bass and get more adequate energy. Cambered tempered glass technology for the first time, the headset products, with a richer sense of technology professional look! I believe HAVI products will be a new design concept, the new understanding to your music listening experience ever!

Technical Specs:
  • Frequency response:10-20KHz
  • THD:<0.1%(Ikhz/100db SPL)
  • Impedance:32ohms
  • Sensitivity:115dB/mW

Inner Layout (cross section):

Cable:
4 separate cables up to the Y splitter (balanced cable design, ground is separated for L and R but the jack is 3.5mm stereo so in reality its not fully balanced, although this design and thick cables is something other iem producers must think of, bravo Havi!), 
30 individuals of braided excellent quality "OFC" cables in each. Outer shell is supposed to be Kevlar.

Gold plated 3.5mm stereo jack and Gorilla Glass (same glass used on Galaxy S2, S3, etc) faceplate:

%24_57%20%281%29-700x700.jpg

B3 on the ear (large iem, not so small, designed to be weared cable-up position):

My experiences with B3 Pro1

My journey with Havi B3 Pro1 (also known as "pro old version", "pro first version") started at January 2014. Since then I spent a good amount of time reading the opinions of others in the "Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread" and finally decided to purchase a Havi B3 Pro1.

I am really glad that I did! I have to thank many friends (especially thread starter bhazard and, peter123) for helping me finding this gem :)

Havi B3 Pro1 is a dual dynamic microdriver iem. Since it's difficult to find info about these iems, I would like to give you some information and share some photos. I will be happy if you contribute and share your opinions!

But please keep in mind: Havi produced 3 different versions of B3 (added info at 03.25.2014, new official information):

The one I have and will be talking about is the first version (Pro1). It is a clear sounding iem with huge soundstage. All the frequencies are linear and none of them are neither dominant nor recessed.

After the original B3 Pro1 version they have produced B3 Pro EB (Strengthen Bass) version. This version were very few in production (only in tens).

Finally they have produced the B3 Pro II version (Pro 2). So you can find only Pro1 and Pro2 versions on the market now.

From the earlier reports we understood that the sound is not so good for both later versions (B3 Pro EX and/or Pro 2). Missing highs, less clear sound, narrower sound-stage, dark, high prominent bass, etc.

(My native language is not English, so I apologize for my mistakes, so good luck for reading :wink:

(Price paid: 59 USD + 6 USD  for the shipping. Bought from Penon Audio Store)

I am in this hobby for 14 years. I have tried many headphones, earphones and iems. This is the second time that I feel "I found a very special sounding item" :) First time was the AKG K340 Electrostatic-Dynamic headphones. This time an iem: Havi B3 Pro1.

They came in two weeks from HK to Turkey. Thanks for the guys/girls at Penon for fast shipping and excellent communication!

A red dot on the box indicates that I have received the correct Havi B3 Pro version (Pro1 or old version):

Specs under the main plastic case:

This factory seal secures and shows that you are the first person to open the box:

Lets come to the included accessories: 1 zippered clam shaped iem case, 1 soft cloth extra iem bag, 1 blue microfiber Havi lettered cloth, 1 pair of medium sized black sponge eartips (quality matches the Comply), 1 pair of medium sized double flange black silicone tips, 3 pairs of different sized black-red single flange silicone tips (looks like hybrids but stiffer, 1 black shirt clip for cable management. Also you may like and use the crystal clear iem box as a storage or accessory box. I hope Havi will include small double flange and triple flange tips of various sizes with these in the future. I believe accessory-wise it will satisfy most of the users.
New Information (04.2014) from Penonaudio: Havi started to include Senn double flange eartips (3 sizes) inside the B3 packages.    (This is a great news!!!)

Black fabric bag:

This info leaf shows how to remove eartips safely from the package:

Clam shaped black zippered case, shirt clip, foamtips and double flange tips:

Iem is bigger than my previous iems (housing is larger than the ie80 and GR07 for example). Also the sound tube is large. So small ears can have hard time to find a proper ear-tip. If your ear canal shape is appropriate you may be lucky. The Gorilla glass on the face feels good and matches my Galaxy S2 screen with Gorilla glass :) When I put my phone and the Havi's on a table for example they really look trendy together :) Although this glass is a fingerprint magnet :frowning2:

Cable is not microphonic (I always use it cable-up position). Cable relief strains on the iem part should be softer. But they seem very durable. On the other parts its OK. Cable seems durable but only time will tell... Cable housings supposed to be Kevlar which is a very durable material. Golden mini jack is L shaped and feels durable. There were no glue residues or assembly mistakes on it either. Generally iem looks like an "expensive" and "very good quality" item.

B3 Pro1 sound very good right out of the box. A little on the brighter side at first. But if you give it 10-15 hours of burn-in you wouldn't believe your ears! (Edit: well, after 200 hours its even better! Some grittiness on highs disappeared and it's smoother on the highs now, also bass is better pronounced :wink:

B3 is very tip dependent (sound-wise and comfort/isolation-wise). You have to find the best fitting and sounding one for your ear-canal (For tip rolling experiments and best tips for B3, go and find the link at the bottom of this post).

This iem does have no emphasize on any of the frequencies (But not lacking any of them too).

Pros:
1- sound is neutral with a very small hint of musicality (this is my personal SQ preference :wink:
2- extremely wide soundstage! Depth is also very very good. Breathtaking 3D image! (as large as a big open headphone - when fitted with shallow bore depth, large bore opening tips and properly amped)
3- crystal clear sound, very impressive details!
4- instrument separation and imaging are both excellent! You can pinpoint every instrument at their correct place
5- microphonics are very minor. I can say its very very good for this regard. You can walk around without hearing the cable (cord) sound (when worn cable-up position)
6- looks and feels good (pro quality). Gorilla glass matches the smart phone screen glasses very well. A good approach for iem fashion :wink:
7- isolation is above avarage (a little bit better than GR07)
8- dual dynamic microdrivers delivers very fast and accurate sound (you may think you are listening a balanced armature iem sometimes)
9- because of over the ear cable design and chin slider it can stay in ears securely (if the right tip chosen and properly adjusted)
10- no sibilance (although slightly grainy on the high freq. side and extends endlessly for the highs)

Cons:
1- iem is power hungry, need more volume-up to sound fuller (drains the battery faster)
2- very tip dependent, different tips changes the sound excessively
3- needs to fitted well in order to sound good. A loose or shallow fit will kill the sound! (Havi should sell them with more tip versions)
4- although the cable should not be a problem for some users, some users may not like it, because it is large and a little heavy under the Y splitter
5- cable tangles sometimes on the upper side of the Y splitter (generally this is not a very big issue but should be taken into account)
6- B3 Pro1 is source dependent to sound good (with my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze it sounds poorer than my MH1C for example, but with Ipod Touch 4th Gen and Galaxy S2 its amazing, better than all my iems)

Bottom Line:
1- wind will not make very bad effects on sound. Although you can hear the wind. But for this regard I can say its only usable (this part bears many variables, so take my words as a grain of salt)
2- suitable for using while walking or working. Sounds good in these situations as well, no microphonics
3- bass-heads, this is not your iem. No it doesn't lack anything, it just did not give extra emphasize to bass.
4- for me: this iem sounds better than my IE80, Tenore, KC06, GR07, MH1C and all the other iems that I have (had)
5- For multiple users (other than me) B3 Pro1 reported to be better than: FXZ200, IE80 (for certain types of music), R50, VC1000, UE900, UE600, XBA-H3 (for certain types of music), DN-1000, DN-2000, AX-35, Gratitude EWF (for certain types of music), VSD3S (for certain types of music), and its reference-neutral-analytical sound is found to be onpar with ER4s "check this thread for details and you may contact the users if you want"
6- this iem sounds almost holographic with Buddha Bar albums, performs incredible with acoustic and unplugged recordings, generally performs excellent for diverse kinds of music
7- the barber shop binaural recording comes to life with these, simply unbelievable sound-stage and imaging. Binaural lovers "this is your iem !!!"
8- cable gets softer in time (I have good feelings for it now)
9- if the cable breaks in future it wouldn't be difficult to open and solder your own cable. Iem is moddable (see the links on the below of the page for opening the Havi B3)
10- for some sources it will need amping to sound fuller. The power of the "source" is important here. Anyway, add an amp to your wish list if you want to hear the miracles of B3 Pro-1
11- there is slightly grittiness on the high frequencies between 10-100 hours of burn-in. But highs will be smoother after passing 200 hours (for some users it's 300 hours) mark
12-don't forget to put little silica gel bags into all of your iem bags and carrying cases (applies to all iems, silica gel collects moisture, so longer life for an iem :wink:
13- THE REAL MAGIC OF HAVI B3 PRO1 LIES IN ITS UNIQUE REPRODUCTION OF FULL SOUND SPECTRUM, ITS BIG SOUNDSTAGE (EXCELLENT AND EQUAL: WIDTH, HEIGHT, DEPTH), EXCELLENT CLARITY, INSTRUMENT and FREQUENCY SEPARATION, L-R SEPARATION, POSITIONING (OR IMAGING), TIMBRE and ACCURATE SOUND REPRODUCTION (A REAL HI-FI IEM)!

[COLOR=FF00AA]About Burn-in Periods of Havi B3 Pro1:
[/COLOR]
15+ hours : first "big" settlement point. You'll hear that the bass is better controlled and earns slightly more definition and presence, also iem opens up, earns slightly more clarity
10-100 hours : grittiness on the high freq may appear (reported by me and some other users)
200-300+ hours : complete settlement of the iem, grittines disapperas (if any), bass settles and earns the max body it can, clarity opens up without further improvements, and perfectly settled sound after this point, no issues on any freq (reported by some users and me)

Never use high volumes for burn-in. Do not exceed daily 8 hours playing time for burn-in (IMO).

PS: I was nearly going to stop listening B3 between 10-100 hours because of the grittiness on the highs (gradually decreased until 200 h). This issue is reported by some other users as well.

[COLOR=FF00AA]LINKS LINKS LINKS [/COLOR]

REVIEWs:

B3 Pro1 VIDEO REVIEW by Tom22 : LINK (fast and easy to understand coverage)

B3 Pro1 REWIEW by Wokei : LINK (If you get bored because of long and detailed reviews, then visit this one first)

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by @Baycode : LINK

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by bhazard : LINK

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by Audiophile1811 : LINK

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by JoeDoe : LINK

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by Tom22 : LINK

For fit/comfort/look of B3 on the ear, please follow these links:

On the ear photos by Salmonelas (including comparisons with some other iems) : LINK

On the ear photos and fitting impressions by Baycode : LINK

For size comparisons with other iems (photos only) :

Comparison with GR07 by Baycode : LINK

Size comparisons with some other iems by Salmonelas: LINK

Ear-tip Suggestions:

B3 Pro1 ear-tip suggestions (best ear-tips for B3) : LINK

Updates to the ear-tip selection part : LINK

For better understanding of IEM's, Ear-Tips and how to fit the iem's securely in the ears: LINK

Keeping, Maintenance and Disassembling Instructions:

Taking Care of Havi B3 (keeping, maintenance and opening (for repair) instructions) : LINK

Fully Disassembling the B3 Pro1 : LINK

Are you having sound imbalance problem with B3? Do you think that it's not sounding as clear as once it was ? Well visit this LINK and LINK

Comparisons With Some Other IEMs:

Why You Should Choose B3 Pro1 over the Tenore by Baycode : LINK

Havi B3 Pro1 compared to KC06 and Tenore by gyx11 : LINK

Initial Impressions and Comparisons with CKR9 and KC06 by SyedZ2ez4 : LINK

Initial impressions (before burn-in) and comparisons with UE900 by spurxiii : LINK

Short comparisons on B3 Pro1 vs AF140 vs Noble PR by H20Fidelity : LINK

Source/AMP Matches Mismatches (Best Sources and Amps for B3 Pro1):

Thoughts on iPhone 5 compatibility and Topping NX1 compatibility by Baycode : LINK

iPhone 5c compatibility (with and without amp) and comparison of DX50 with iPhone 5c by spurxiii : LINK

Nexus 4 compatibility by ebrian : LINK

Cayin C5 + Fiio X5 compatibility and comparison of C5 and E11k by twister6 : LINK

Colorfly C3 + C&C BH and NX1 compatibility by H20Fidelity : LINK and LINK

Thoughts on X3 vs DX50 synergy with B3 Pro1 by gyx11 : LINK

Thoughts on DX90 + NX1 by Tamirci : LINK

E17 non-compatibility by BenF : LINK

Comparisons of O2/ODAC, GO1000, X3 + Pico Slim, iBasso R10 bygyx11 : LINK

Cayin C5 and Little Dot Mk 1+ pairings with B3 Pro1 by peter123 : LINK

Cayin C5 compatibility by Dsnuts : LINK

Cayin C5 vs Fiio E11k vs E12 by Dsnuts : LINK

Compatibility with PB2 amp by spurxiii : LINK

Havi B3 Pro1 through the E07K, Audinst HUD MX1 and Geek Out 450 by gyx11 : LINK

Comparing GO1000,Audinist HUD MX1, Pico Slim, X3, DX50, AK100, Fiio E07K for B3 Pro1 by gyx11 : LINK

Havi B3 Pro1 through the JDS C5 (with reference to the Pico Slim) by gyx11 : LINK

A compilation of some of the compatible amps with B3 Pro1 by munggo : LINK

From the eye ear of a professional by analogsurviver:

On the "Pro" designation of B3 : LINK

About the real sound heard vs B3 Pro1's sound : LINK and LINK

Scratching the reasons beneath the imaging (positioning) quality of B3 Pro1 : LINK

Some notes on listening B3 Pro1 through analog devices : LINK

Pushing the B3 Pro1 to its limits : LINK

On power needs of B3 Pro1 : LINK

Notes on sound-stage and imaging : LINK , LINK and LINK

Field recording notes on B3 Pro1 : LINK

Some thoughts on B3 Pro1, Stax Lambda and AKG K1000 : LINK

B3 Pro1 handling high SPL's : LINK

[COLOR=FF00AA]Short Statements on Havi B3 Pro1:[/COLOR]

"If you love music, you owe it to yourself to try these."
(a statement by bhazard)

"Originally got my pair to isolate and well have a little music in the background while studying... Unfortunately, I end up just focusing on the music..." (a statement by munggo)

"It's an iem that will achieve cult status someday" (a statement by Wokei)

"Returning to B3 Pro1 from my other iem's feels like returning home" (a statement by peter123)

"Havi B3 Pro1, the iem that grows on you ! " (a great statement by Netforce )

"I don't know who tuned this iem but one day I want to meet him and shake his hand" (a statement by @Baycode)

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 4,032
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 4,032
Just keep burning them in and see the sound evolve:sunglasses:

Playing with different tips, it's very tip and insertion dependent to sound as well.

Whats your source (player)?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 4,032
I am actually pretty satisfied with the stock tips.  I tried Comply TS500/T500 and Sony Hybrid as well as a few other double/triple-flange tips.  I find stock tips work just fine and look good.

Generally I prefer this over IE80 (especially for vocal and guitar) but of course IE80 performs better for more bass heavy music, in terms of FUN.

More than anything, I think B3 Pro v1 reproduces music very accurately.  It just sounds right and detailed as well as separated.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 4,032
  I am actually pretty satisfied with the stock tips.  I tried Comply TS500/T500 and Sony Hybrid as well as a few other double/triple-flange tips.  I find stock tips work just fine and look good.

Generally I prefer this over IE80 (especially for vocal and guitar) but of course IE80 performs better for more bass heavy music, in terms of FUN.

More than anything, I think B3 Pro v1 reproduces music very accurately.  It just sounds right and detailed as well as separated.

I wish I could get success with stock tips :/  They are good looking tips as well. Now I am using a white Hifiman double flange tip and pushed the tip all the way down to the body of the iem. This way it didn't make discomfort and isolates pretty well. But still not the best option. I also like the hybrids on these...

I have exactly the same opinions for the sound :wink:

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 4,032
Oh my ... Thx buddy for your awesome appreciation thread, I had the havi B3 Pro Mk1 for like a week and they are astonshing in relation to their price

I was mainly listening to classical music: arias, piano sonatas and german operas and man.. WOW
I am a proud owner of Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros and in relation of soundstage and clarity the Havis have all my backup! They create an eardrumm trembling bass also they produce pretty earpiercing highs

As baycode mentioned these IEMs have a superb linear sound quality I would even guess these would work for soundmixing and mastering for special intentions.

I had to send my B3 backs since the left earpiece begun failing after 48hours.. so no joy for me, I went ahead and talked to penaudio guys and ordered the Dunu DN1k instead, but I will definetelly order the havi's b3 back again

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 4,032
  Oh my ... Thx buddy for your awesome appreciation thread, I had the havi B3 Pro Mk1 for like a week and they are astonshing in relation to their price

I was mainly listening to classical music: arias, piano sonatas and german operas and man.. WOW
I am a proud owner of Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros and in relation of soundstage and clarity the Havis have all my backup! They create an eardrumm trembling bass also they produce pretty earpiercing highs

As baycode mentioned these IEMs have a superb linear sound quality I would even guess these would work for soundmixing and mastering for special intentions.

I had to send my B3 backs since the left earpiece begun failing after 48hours.. so no joy for me, I went ahead and talked to penaudio guys and ordered the Dunu DN1k instead, but I will definetelly order the havi's b3 back again

Once you get your DN1k and if possible B3 Pro1 as well it will be good to read comparisons :wink:

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 4,032
  Really want to get a pair of these but I'm guessing my old sony nwz-s639 (EU version) won't be loud enough to properly drive them? Don't have an amp either.

Amp may only be necessary if your source is too weak or if you prefer to listen at high volume levels. I can't imagine a weaker source than a Galaxy S2 in this regard which is my main source. But I can get a good volume level when I push the volume %80-85 up the way. But keep in mind, I never prefer to listen at high volume levels. Otherwise I will have to use an amp with the S2.

The biggest question should be: will the B3 Pro1 match with your source? It sounds worse than my MH1C through my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze for example. I will never use it with Sansa Fuze...

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 4,032
These tracks sounds unbelievable through the B3 Pro1:

Fuat Saka with Maria Farantouri "Omuzdan Kesilmiş"

Buddha Bar - Bahramji and Maneesh De Moor "Dreamcatcher"

Buddha Bar - Bliss "Wish You Were Here"

Lanny Kravitz - Unplugged  "Stilness of Heart"

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 4,032
Thanks Baycode, great initiative!

Anyone that got a tube/hybrid amp should try it with the B3's. X3 to my Little Dot I+ with Voskhod tubes is extremely seducing :)

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 4,032
My source is the hisoundaudio studio 3rd anniversary and I'm using the jvc fx850 new spiral tips...i have the dunu as well but prefer the havi b3proi because of organic and natural sound:sunglasses:

Do you mean DN1k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back