Have You "(Radiohead's) In Rainbows"?: Impressions thread
Oct 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #136 of 147
IMO nude, videotape, and reckoner are just absolutely fantastic tracks....on the whole id say they have had better albums in past, but this one is definitely a keeper by any means!

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #138 of 147
I have waited, before posting any impressions, because I wanted to fully digest the album before praising- just to make certain my initial impressions were genuine. They are.

My prediction is that this will go down in history as one of the great if not one of the greatest radiohead albums. It is infectious. Every song has a haunted aspect to it that keeps reeling you in deeper and deeper to the soundscape core.

I'd describe this album as "evolved" and perhaps a little (dare I say) "upbeat" in places; a welcomed journey, IMO.
It is perfectly mixed without any annoying spikes or hash- very even handed, balanced, smooth, and warm. Every song retains a certain level of that uncanny Yorke ability to stir your insides. I found it amusing, in reading this thread, how many different “favorite” tracks stand out as favorites. This, I think, is testament to the depth, and quality of the album. They must have tooled around forever to find some of these sounds and settings. It has just enough guitar and (real) drums to keep me happy, and wonderfully arranged sampling to keep some of the other fans happy. I especially like how a lot of these songs give nod to previous anthems. However, this is no re-work; it is fresh. There are so many elements going on that they can go right over your head if you aren't listening carefully. This is great because there is something new to discover at each listening session. More and more- these textural pieces reveal themselves to me. It is beautifully eclectic, melodious, and oh-so radiohead. These guys are true genius.

I think they have a serious winner here. I bet it ends up getting some heavy rotation (which may end up destroying its tangibility) but attract new fans in much the same way Hail did. I don't know how they did it- keep their loyal, varied fan base happy and delight new listeners all on one album. This band has one big, wild musical wagon for all to ride. They get my highest praise. I had high hopes for this release and not only did it not disappoint- it is slowly blowing my mind.

If you haven't already downloaded it- do so. If you have a bootleg copy- PLEASE do the right thing and pay (something) for another download via the waste site. I sincerely hope fans support their new approach to the download process. In this way, the band can be credited for changing the way music is released and marketed. They deserve it; it's not like the album sucks. I paid a whopping 7euro for the download. I think this is a fair price considering there is no packaging or distribution involved. I feel like I should have paid more- just to support them and help make up the difference from the people that download it for near nothing. I also want to say that my very best friend asked for a copy, and he was quickly denied. He ended up paying 5 euro for his own downloaded copy- as he should! :wink:

I also just ordered the box set today, as I can't wait to hear it on vinyl!!

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #139 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have waited, before posting any impressions, because I wanted to fully digest the album before praising- just to make certain my initial impressions were genuine. They are.

My prediction is that this will go down in history as one of the great if not one of the greatest radiohead albums. It is infectious. Every song has a haunted aspect to it that keeps reeling you in deeper and deeper to the soundscape core.

I'd describe this album as "evolved" and perhaps a little (dare I say) "upbeat" in places; a welcomed journey, IMO.
It is perfectly mixed without any annoying spikes or hash- very even handed, balanced, smooth, and warm. Every song retains a certain level of that uncanny Yorke ability to stir your insides. I found it amusing, in reading this thread, how many different “favorite” tracks stand out as favorites. This, I think, is testament to the depth, and quality of the album. They must have tooled around forever to find some of these sounds and settings. It has just enough guitar and (real) drums to keep me happy, and wonderfully arranged sampling to keep some of the other fans happy. I especially like how a lot of these songs give nod to previous anthems. However, this is no re-work; it is fresh. There are so many elements going on that they can go right over your head if you aren't listening carefully. This is great because there is something new to discover at each listening session. More and more- these textural pieces reveal themselves to me. It is beautifully eclectic, melodious, and oh-so radiohead. These guys are true genius.

I think they have a serious winner here. I bet it ends up getting some heavy rotation (which may end up destroying its tangibility) but attract new fans in much the same way Hail did. I don't know how they did it- keep their loyal, varied fan base happy and delight new listeners all on one album. This band has one big, wild musical wagon for all to ride. They get my highest praise. I had high hopes for this release and not only did it not disappoint- it is slowly blowing my mind.

If you haven't already downloaded it- do so. If you have a bootleg copy- PLEASE do the right thing and pay (something) for another download via the waste site. I sincerely hope fans support their new approach to the download process. In this way, the band can be credited for changing the way music is released and marketed. They deserve it; it's not like the album sucks. I paid a whopping 7euro for the download. I think this is a fair price considering there is no packaging or distribution involved. I feel like I should have paid more- just to support them and help make up the difference from the people that download it for near nothing. I also want to say that my very best friend asked for a copy, and he was quickly denied. He ended up paying 5 euro for his own downloaded copy- as he should! :wink:

I also just ordered the box set today, as I can't wait to hear it on vinyl!!

Very well said...I am really starting to like this album. It is filled with subtleties that are not evident through casual listening. It kind of rewards with repeated listenings...the sign of a good album!

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #141 of 147
I've been waiting for my box to arrive, so I am still lagging behind the rest of you on this thread. Yesterday, however, my attention was drawn to She Talks in Math: Interpretations of Radiohead, which is a new album by Eliza Lumley. It's more or less piano & voice throughout (just some cello, bass and muted trumpet from time to time), and is a very short album, but I'd strongly recommend it to the Radiohead fans out there (and everyone else).

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #142 of 147
Does anyone else have Jigsaw Falling Into Place on repeat at the moment? The background vocals are so enchanting; I love the rhythm and warm sound of the track. Really stood out on the album to me from the first day I heard it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #143 of 147
Yea I have not heard it yet but I am going to give it a listen very soon. I'm excited to hear it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #144 of 147
nice find Sordel, had a listen to a few tracks on her MySpace site.. pretty good.. definitely a must have for Radiohead fans- puts a new aspect on their songs and makes you realise how beautiful the lyrics can sound practically on their lonesome... especially Black Star.

i'll be buying this CD tomorrow!

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #145 of 147
I heard Eliza Lumley's album a while back, and while it wasn't bad, the huge amount of auto-tuning on her voice ruined it for me. It sounded like she was singing into a vocoder. I'm sensitive to that stuff, though.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #146 of 147
Dude, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else have Jigsaw Falling Into Place on repeat at the moment? The background vocals are so enchanting; I love the rhythm and warm sound of the track. Really stood out on the album to me from the first day I heard it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #147 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounded like she was singing into a vocoder.

I know what you mean - it really freaked me out when I heard the first Evanescence album - but I think that it's only used as an effect, and not on all tracks. To be honest, my response to it on the Eliza Lumley was only subliminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back