Have you heard the new Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier?
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #62 of 118
Hi everyone!

I don't own the Z10e model but I do own the Z10 model (same power specs but mine cannot drive electrostats)

I'm using it with my Bricasti M3H dac. I heard this amp first with my friend's AKM dac/streamer and loved it then as well. Hearing it then is what prompted me to buy the Z10 now, so it sounds great on the various dacs I have tried with it.

I'm at about 60 on the volume pot with my Abyss 1266 Phi TC (which goes up to 100) and I'm itching to have another demo of the Hifiman Susvara to throw onto this to see how it drives it. I'll try to get one and report back here if I'm successful.

It sounds excellent with every headphone in my signature. I used to have the Meze Empyrean and Focal Stellia and wish I still had those to throw onto this as well, but, I pruned my collection a bit to buy some upcoming new and exciting releases that I'm anticipating this year. Anyway, this amp seems to be just my cup of tea. I seem to like my tube amps to be on the drier side with a hint of that euphonic goodness and this delivers that. It's very detailed like a SS amp but you also are very aware that you're not listening to a SS amp at the same time... if that makes sense.

I know that LTA often pairs this with a tube dac, which I do not have. I'd love to throw a tube dac and R2R non oversampling dac on it in the future to see what sort of sound that would yield. My Bricasti dac paired with this amp are just scaling the heck out of my headphones. I know that both the Z10 and my dac are doing the heavy lifting, so, it's hard to say what's contributing to what. All I know is that my Abyss sounds so realistic that it's like being in the room with the artists. My Sennheiser HD800S has a ton of slam, and my Sennheiser HD650s have scaled up ridiculously and sound about as detailed as I've ever heard them sound.

It is a very sophisticated tube amp. I'm relatively new to tubes. I had a Feliks Espressivo MK II which I sold to a friend. It sounded more "tubey" and I loved it. I sold it because I'm planning on upgrading and buying a Feliks Euforia soon. However, one thing that I wasn't super crazy about with my Feliks amp is that it didn't have a very black background. This does. And not only that, but it just sounds so much cleaner. This amp is somehow super detailed, crystal clear, but with enough lushness and euphonic goodness to scratch the tube itch. I plan on acquiring one or two other tube amps to play around with and experiment with but this is definitely my crown jewel.

I do remember briefly trying the Z10e model with the Stax 009 and can confirm that it's a good pairing. I'm only on day 2 of owning the Z10 so pardon me not writing up a super detailed and well thought out review. I received this in the mail yesterday at 3 PM and stayed up all night last night listening to it. My brain isn't currently focusing on reviewing or analyzing gear and is more focused on enjoying the music. Maybe I'll come back later and give a more technical write-up, haha.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #63 of 118
Aug 25, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #64 of 118
Hi everyone!

I don't own the Z10e model but I do own the Z10 model (same power specs but mine cannot drive electrostats)

I'm using it with my Bricasti M3H dac. I heard this amp first with my friend's AKM dac/streamer and loved it then as well. Hearing it then is what prompted me to buy the Z10 now, so it sounds great on the various dacs I have tried with it.

I'm at about 60 on the volume pot with my Abyss 1266 Phi TC (which goes up to 100) and I'm itching to have another demo of the Hifiman Susvara to throw onto this to see how it drives it. I'll try to get one and report back here if I'm successful.

It sounds excellent with every headphone in my signature. I used to have the Meze Empyrean and Focal Stellia and wish I still had those to throw onto this as well, but, I pruned my collection a bit to buy some upcoming new and exciting releases that I'm anticipating this year. Anyway, this amp seems to be just my cup of tea. I seem to like my tube amps to be on the drier side with a hint of that euphonic goodness and this delivers that. It's very detailed like a SS amp but you also are very aware that you're not listening to a SS amp at the same time... if that makes sense.

I know that LTA often pairs this with a tube dac, which I do not have. I'd love to throw a tube dac and R2R non oversampling dac on it in the future to see what sort of sound that would yield. My Bricasti dac paired with this amp are just scaling the heck out of my headphones. I know that both the Z10 and my dac are doing the heavy lifting, so, it's hard to say what's contributing to what. All I know is that my Abyss sounds so realistic that it's like being in the room with the artists. My Sennheiser HD800S has a ton of slam, and my Sennheiser HD650s have scaled up ridiculously and sound about as detailed as I've ever heard them sound.

It is a very sophisticated tube amp. I'm relatively new to tubes. I had a Feliks Espressivo MK II which I sold to a friend. It sounded more "tubey" and I loved it. I sold it because I'm planning on upgrading and buying a Feliks Euforia soon. However, one thing that I wasn't super crazy about with my Feliks amp is that it didn't have a very black background. This does. And not only that, but it just sounds so much cleaner. This amp is somehow super detailed, crystal clear, but with enough lushness and euphonic goodness to scratch the tube itch. I plan on acquiring one or two other tube amps to play around with and experiment with but this is definitely my crown jewel.

I do remember briefly trying the Z10e model with the Stax 009 and can confirm that it's a good pairing. I'm only on day 2 of owning the Z10 so pardon me not writing up a super detailed and well thought out review. I received this in the mail yesterday at 3 PM and stayed up all night last night listening to it. My brain isn't currently focusing on reviewing or analyzing gear and is more focused on enjoying the music. Maybe I'll come back later and give a more technical write-up, haha.
I also have the Z-10 I am loving it, both the Verite Open and Z1R sound great, however, one thing that some people may not like is that with sensitive headphones such as Z1R the background is not black, and i could detect some faint background noise when music was not playing. I can play the Z1R at night as low at 3-5 in low gain no problem, normally i listen to them at less than 20. But once the music starts they sound amazing. For the VO i normally listen on high gain between 20-30. i felt really guilty in spending so much on it (still paying my credit card LOL) but I is a great amp. Happy with the support from LTA great customer service too.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #65 of 118
I’m wondering, is LTA going to sell a discounted combo for the Z10e + Stax SR-X900?

If so, I’d be very interested. I mean they sell a SR-009S + Z10e discounted combo, so maybe a SR-X9000 combo is a possibility :thinking:

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #67 of 118
I’m wondering, is LTA going to sell a discounted combo for the Z10e + Stax SR-X900?

If so, I’d be very interested. I mean they sell a SR-009S + Z10e discounted combo, so maybe a SR-X9000 combo is a possibility :thinking:

Yes! Working on getting this on the website, but in the meantime, reach out directly, and I'll hook you up: nicholas@lineartubeaudio.com

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #69 of 118
Am I right that the Z10e has a rather thin ultra detailed sound?

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #70 of 118

ThanatosVI Headphoneus Supremus

"Am I right that the Z10e has a rather thin ultra detailed sound"?

Nope, pretty much the opposite. With 10 tubes, it is warm -ish but a lot less so than any other tube amplifier I've ever listened to. Pretty much the opposite of thin though; it is very realistic. With enough power to drive almost any headphone made. There is detail, as one should expect from any $4K to $10K amplifier; but some of that is because it is life-like and accurate, and some because of the surprising lack of anything that isn't supposed to be there - the background is really really black; black like in outer space, behind Jupiter...

@Jeweltopia is better with written English than I (she has a good review a page or two back - Edit: a few posts above), but that is my take on the Z10e. It is superior with female vocals and stringed instruments; but if you want a different kind of test, try the cannons on (the very-well-recorded) "For Those About to Rock, We Salute You" - you won't be disappointed there either. I don't own Stax 009s, but have listened (and enjoyed) when a friend brought his at a headphone meet last year. Some people like it with the new Audeze electrostatics but I've not heard them yet.

The Micro-Zotl design gives both warmth and detail unlike anything else; if you are interested in the "real" high-end of headphone listening it deserves an audition. For me, a tube guy who likes accuracy also, it has been the perfect amplifier.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #71 of 118

ThanatosVI Headphoneus Supremus

"Am I right that the Z10e has a rather thin ultra detailed sound"?

Nope, pretty much the opposite. With 10 tubes, it is warm -ish but a lot less so than any other tube amplifier I've ever listened to. Pretty much the opposite of thin though; it is very realistic. With enough power to drive almost any headphone made. There is detail, as one should expect from any $4K to $10K amplifier; but some of that is because it is life-like and accurate, and some because of the surprising lack of anything that isn't supposed to be there - the background is really really black; black like in outer space, behind Jupitor...

@Jeweltopia is better with written English than I (she has a good review a page or two back - Edit: a few posts above), but that is my take on the Z10e. It is superior with female vocals and stringed instruments; but if you want a different kind of test, try the cannons on (the very-well-recorded) "For Those About to Rock, We Salute You" - you won't be disappointed there either. I don't own Stax 009s, but have listened (and enjoyed) when a friend brought his at a headphone meet last year. Some people like it with the new Audeze electrostatics but I've not heard them yet.

The Micro-Zotl design gives both warmth and detail unlike anything else; if you are interested in the "real" high-end of headphone listening it deserves an audition. For me, a tube guy who likes accuracy also, it has been the perfect amplifier.
Thank you for the impressions:)
Good to hear

Mar 6, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #73 of 118
Am I right that the Z10e has a rather thin ultra detailed sound?
That is a good question. I had for a while been using a KT150 SET with zero f/b. My initial impression when I first started listening to the Z10e was along the lines of "where did all the warmth go?" I soon realised that the euphonic warmth and thickness of the SET also involved slowness and a lack of clarity. Driving my current speakers (a build of SEAS Exotic F8) this is maintained with the absence of clutter. The music is highly communicative. Totally agree with Jeweltopia who said “it just sounds so much cleaner. This amp is somehow super detailed, crystal clear, but with enough lushness and euphonic goodness to scratch the tube itch.”

And DelsFan mentioned “the surprising lack of anything that isn't supposed to be there” which sums up exactly what I had noticed.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #75 of 118
Anyone paired this amp with the Audeze CRBN? I’m interested in what that pairing can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back