Have you heard the new Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier?
Aug 1, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #107 of 115
Thanks for your response, figured out the sub outs. I decided to jump on the Z10e bandwagon by picking up a used unit and wowee what a great product. I was using it with a Stax SR-009 until it developed the dreaded driver imbalance. I was comparing it to my older SRM-007t energizer and there is no contest. I mostly look for great soundstaging and imaging vs a specific tonality and the Z10e just makes the music seem more present. Bass is deep and clean, mids are slightly forward and dead center, the treble is very shimmery and textured listening to Brian Blade on "Trilogy 2". I am planning on picking up another pair of earspeakers, anyone have any insights on recent model pairings (other than Stax). I love the Stax sound but customer support is not so good so thinking of a U.S. model like Audeze CRBN or Dan Clark Corina. Alternately, anyone have reliability updates on the Stax X9000? On another note, tried the speaker outs with my Kef R3 speakers and it sounds awesome with similar soundscape as my headphones and definitely enough volume for my listening room.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #108 of 115
I recently picked up a Z10e secondhand for a great price. I love the sound, but at lower volumes the sound leans out tremendously (more than I’ve ever noticed with any amp before). Is that just a characteristic of this amp? Unfortunately the point where the sound really starts to sound correct happens just above the level that I most often listen at. (This is with ZMF VO and HD650s).

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #110 of 115
No issue with a thinness to the sound. I would try some different tubes.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #111 of 115
I recently picked up a Z10e secondhand for a great price. I love the sound, but at lower volumes the sound leans out tremendously (more than I’ve ever noticed with any amp before). Is that just a characteristic of this amp? Unfortunately the point where the sound really starts to sound correct happens just above the level that I most often listen at. (This is with ZMF VO and HD650s).
I noticed the same thing on the z10E at CanJam Chicago last year, where it sounded like a filter was being applied to the mids and bass until I turned the volume up to a certain level. And again at Axpona this year. The MZ3 at CanJam didn’t do that, so I ended up buying an MZ3, and recently upgraded to a Ultralinear+, which doesn’t have that issue either.

Have you tried adjusting the gain in the menu to -15db to see if that helps?

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #112 of 115
I noticed the same thing on the z10E at CanJam Chicago last year, where it sounded like a filter was being applied to the mids and bass until I turned the volume up to a certain level. And again at Axpona this year. The MZ3 at CanJam didn’t do that, so I ended up buying an MZ3, and recently upgraded to a Ultralinear+, which doesn’t have that issue either.

Have you tried adjusting the gain in the menu to -15db to see if that helps?
Unfortunately, I have tried adjusting the gain to -15db. I had been thinking of tube rolling anyway, so I've got some new 12AU7 preamp tubes on the way to see if that does anything. I could also try swapping those to the power amp side. If not those, then I suppose I could try swapping the 12AT7s (or the El84s, but those are definitely more expensive.)

Dec 16, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #114 of 115
Has anyone here got a chance to compare the z10e to Audiovalve Solaris?
The Solaris is also an all in one like the z10e and i wonder how they compare.
Be aware the the founder and builder of the SOLARIS Mr Becker has passed a few months ago, and it is not clear yet if there will be service for it in future…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back