Have you heard of Dave Ramsey- Can you "live" without Credit Card ?
Mar 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 19
I generally use the Amex, because you have to pay it off at the end of the mont.

But thats really silly.

You can just as easy pay off any other credit card every month.

Also, thats not a credit card, it's called a charge card.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 19
It may be silly, but although you can pay off any other card at the end of the month, the mere existence of a large credit limit is too much temptation for some of us poor mortals.

And since Amex calls it a credit card on their site, I don't think I'm amiss in calling it one here.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 19
     Quote:
It's just a matter of being responsible.

Exactly, this is pretty much Dave's whole point when you boil it all down.
     Quote:
From where I stand, There is absolutely no reason to not use a credit card other than the inability to manage funds/control spending.

For anyone with self control, there is no reason to not use a credit card.

These are the people that Dave Ramsey is reaching out too primarily. If you've never learned how to be responsible with your money, Dave will hold your hand and walk you through it. 
Quote:
Sounds like this Ramsey fella is just spewing shocking ideas in order to sell something

That's not really a fair assessment at all.  Yes, he does make a ton of money doing what he does, but he's not out trying to make a quick buck with some get rich quick scheme.  Doing his program won't make you rich, it will just teach you one way to be responsible with your money.  There is a lot more to it than simply stopping credit card usage.  Also, he'll be the first one to tell someone NOT to buy his book but to get it from a library or something.  

He is pretty much promoting a "12 step" program for people who are 'addicted' to consumer debt.  Would you tell a recovering alcoholic that it's OK to keep a bottle of scotch in their house?  No.  If you ran a nationally syndicated radio show helping people with their alcoholism and a teetotaler called up and asked if if was OK for him to keep a bottle of scotch in the house just in case some friends wanted a drink, you'd probably still say no cause you know who your audience is and don't want people saying "well Dave said it's OK for so-in-so to keep liquor in the house so I will too." 

I really don't think Dave cares much at all if financially responsible people use credit cards, but no one really needs a credit card, they are a convenience.  

I'm not some Dave Ramsey fan-boy or anything, I actually disagree with some of his advice, but I understand what he is trying to accomplish and to me he comes off as someone who genuinely wants to help people with their money problems.  

Oh, I could live without credit cards if need be but I have two at the moment and carry a zero balance on both.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 19
Just like many of you, I like to use credit card on many occasions but always paid them off each month. If you are financially responsible, I see nothing wrong with using credit card. If you actually listen to Dave's seminar, he is not totally against credit card but warns about danger of over using credit cards and being debt real quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back