Have you ever invented a cocktail?
Apr 8, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*writes those down for next time he visits the LCBO*
wink.gif

I'll try those. Tanq has a bit of nostalgia for me, though. At least it's the only commonly-available gin I can drink straight.

EDIT: It's all about getting to the point where you've torn that little read plastic seal off the Tanq bottle and adhered it to your forehead... good times.
biggrin.gif

oh two others to really look out for are Blackwood's Welcome to Blackwood's Vintage Dry Gin and Gabriel Boudier : crème de cassis, crème de fruit, liqueurs

i still say Hendrick's Gin

is the best out there

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 35
My drink of choice as an undergrad was equal parts tequila, vodka and mountain dew. I would fill up liter nalgene bottles with this stuff. We called it traveling juice. It was fuel for a lot of misadventures but I haven't had it in years.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 35
Apr 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 35
Green Jaguar
2 shots espresso
1 scoop lime sherbet
1 shot Kalua
1 shot Vodka
1 cup ice

Crush/blend in a blender and pour into tall glass.
Delicious and no hangover.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 35
1 part gin, 1 part campari style bitters, 1 part rosso vermouth. Serve over lots of ice in an old fashioned glass, add a slice of orange if you like. I call it a Negroni.

....wait.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did once with a group of mates by mixing everyhting we had left. It was absolutly fantastic. Sadly however we have never been able to recreate it.

That is the very reason it was so great... It was all you had left, and in my experiences with alcohol, anything was great at that moment.

tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 part gin, 1 part campari style bitters, 1 part rosso vermouth. Serve over lots of ice in an old fashioned glass, add a slice of orange if you like. I call it a Negroni.

....wait.

The one time that I had those I woke up with the worst hangover of my life. I can't even smell compari without wanting to vomit.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 35
Sour Lollipop:
- Real Lemonade (made form lemons - not mix)
- 1 squirt of Lime Juice on top (at the end)
- Strawberry Pucker
- Vodka
- Tequilla

Maui Creme:
- Orange Juice
- Sweet Creme
- Watermellon Pucker
- Tripple Sec
- Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum

My own version of a White Russian (beware - this WILL disguise just how potent it really is).
- Saboroso
- Vodka
- Skim Milk
- Carolann's Irish Creme
- 1 half cap of Scotch or American whiskey

I have a bunch of other ones, but these are the most requested.
When the booze and mixers are running low, you gotta be creative.
wink.gif

*Never Mix Crystal Lite and cheap Vodka, only makes it worse*

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #26 of 35
Poor Expat's Julep:

Double of cheap bourbon, or Jack, or rye on the rocks, covered with homemade sweet iced tea and either A) a crushed mint leaf, B) a smashed wedge of lime, or C) another shot of cheap bourbon.

Nothing says, "I'd probably be drinking Coronas on the Beach in Panama City were it not for the fact that I'm avoiding the rain in my slovenly apartment because I can't afford to go to the pub, and I haven't seen direct sunlight for the entire month of July since Dublin is some bizarrely dim and sodden anteroom of hell." like the Poor Expat's Julep.

It is extremely important that the tea be prepared with bags of genuine Red Diamond tea that you brought from home. -Unless you ran out of that months ago--then those spare bags of Orange Pekoe that you stole from the office with the extra bog rolls will do. Anything really. Just water it down some. Try to make it last until the sun comes out.

You say, "It doesn't taste like home. It tastes like homesick."

Yur mate says with a divilish wink, "Sure it'd be a grand country if you could roof it."

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poor Expat's Julep:

Double of cheap bourbon, or Jack, or rye on the rocks, covered with homemade sweet iced tea and either A) a crushed mint leaf, B) a smashed wedge of lime, or C) another shot of cheap bourbon.

Nothing says, "I'd probably be drinking Coronas on the Beach in Panama City were it not for the fact that I'm avoiding the rain in my slovenly apartment because I can't afford to go to the pub, and I haven't seen direct sunlight for the entire month of July since Dublin is some bizarrely dim and sodden anteroom of hell." like the Poor Expat's Julep.

It is extremely important that the tea be prepared with bags of genuine Red Diamond tea that you brought from home. -Unless you ran out of that months ago--then those spare bags of Orange Pekoe that you stole from the office with the extra bog rolls will do. Anything really. Just water it down some. Try to make it last until the sun comes out.

You say, "It doesn't taste like home. It tastes like homesick."

Yur mate says with a divilish wink, "Sure it'd be a grand country if you could roof it."

It's 9 in the morning here, I'm starting a day of work and what you wrote is already the best thing I'll read all day.
biggrin.gif
Good job.

EDIT: In my apartment it was always "gin and whatever else we have lying around". Once it was gin and sake. Not more than once. Trust me.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 35
You gentlemen have it all backwards. The important part of a cocktail is not the ingredients, but the name!

Ergo, a thinking man controls for the name, and fits the rest in as needed.

This is a game I've long played when there are no available resources. One party supplies a plausible cocktail name, the other party has to deduce the ingredients of that cocktail. Extra points for the effectively undrinkable.

I'll start with a name: Maine Squeeze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back