Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones.
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #211 of 230
Dec 1, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #212 of 230
The left to right placement is in the mix. The mix is designed to be heard from speakers 10 to 12 feet in front of you. The distance from the speakers to the listening position create the space for the soundstage to exist in. Moving your head allows you to perceive that distance. Is that clearer?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #213 of 230
The distance from the speakers to the listening position create the space for the soundstage to exist in. Moving your head allows you to perceive that distance.

Sorry, but it's complete bull$hit.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #214 of 230
Aug 10, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #215 of 230
... Here's a set of files I made. ...
Apparently, also I am not in the database. All your sound come from behind or from the sides, did listen to them all. Sorry. If I close my eyes and a friend snaps the fingers either in fromt or behind me, it is absolutely unambiguous. I fear there is presently something not understood at all, it is not only frequency dostortion, maybe it is a contribution ob bone sound, sound going through the eustachian channel, or jet undiscovered sound receptors in the nose (who knows...).

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #217 of 230
Moving your head is how you discern distance and direction.
No, at least not for short sounds, like single clicks or drops. They are over before you can turn your head. Still, one can determine their direction most precisely, of all accoustic events (it is probably the most important case of directional hearing, the broken twig under the pawn of the tiger).

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #218 of 230
Hi !

i am going to make a strong statement here.
The day that someone will be able with some kind of signal processing to create the illusion of sound coming from the front also with headphones ... everybody will switch immediately to headphones !
For me it is absolutely the main drawback with headphones.
In my case the front sound is completely missing and this causes fatigue during extended listenings.
This said i am here to ask if you have ever experienced this sensation and especially with which set up, i.e. whigh HPs and which amp.
I know about cross-feeding techniques ... but no one seems to work properly.
Opinions/advice are most welcome !
Have a nice day
gino
Hi !

i am going to make a strong statement here.
The day that someone will be able with some kind of signal processing to create the illusion of sound coming from the front also with headphones ... everybody will switch immediately to headphones !
For me it is absolutely the main drawback with headphones.
In my case the front sound is completely missing and this causes fatigue during extended listenings.
This said i am here to ask if you have ever experienced this sensation and especially with which set up, i.e. whigh HPs and which amp.
I know about cross-feeding techniques ... but no one seems to work properly.
Opinions/advice are most welcome !
Have a nice day
gino
Hi,

I have owned and enjoyed many excellent headphones. The best from Sennheiser, Stax, Sony, Oppo, HifiMan etc...

I am currently experiencing true "out of the head sound' with a very unusual set of headphones.

The sound is layered in detail, instrument seperation, and voice location that I couldn't capture with any headphones before.

My music source is mainly Tidal's new bit perfect Android app. A just purchased, brand new Google Pixel 2 XL is my USB audio transport. This phone doesn't have a built in DAC that needs to be bypassed.

The Pixel 2 feeds a verified bit perfect audio signal to a set of AKG N90 Q USB headphones that have built in DAC and amplification. I am using a 6ft USB C to USB Micro cable from the Pixel 2 to the N90 Q headphones. No OTG cable is necessary.

When the headphones are powered on and plugged into the Pixel 2 XL a message is displayed by Tidal for permission to access the DAC in the AKG N90's.

The AKG N90's feature 3 processing stages, normal, 2.1 studio, and 5.1 surround. When payback is set for studio 2.1 the sound stage is in front, and above my head from left to right.

I am experiencing nuances and details in the music that I have enjoyed for decades that I never heard before.

Tidal's hi res files within this unique setup is a revelation. The new Pixel 2 XL was $299, The new AKG N90 Q's were also $299.

Finally, my headphone quest is finally over.

Anthony

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #219 of 230
How distant from your head in front of you do you perceive the sound? 10 feet? 20 feet? More? How far behind you? We're talking about great distances here. By combining the physical space between the listener and the main speakers with secondary distance cues like echo and multichannel time processing, a 5.1 system can create the illusion of a great deal of distance. It isn't like "outside your head", it's like actual space.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #220 of 230
Hi,

I have owned and enjoyed many excellent headphones. The best from Sennheiser, Stax, Sony, Oppo, HifiMan etc...

I am currently experiencing true "out of the head sound' with a very unusual set of headphones.

The sound is layered in detail, instrument seperation, and voice location that I couldn't capture with any headphones before.

My music source is mainly Tidal's new bit perfect Android app. A just purchased, brand new Google Pixel 2 XL is my USB audio transport. This phone doesn't have a built in DAC that needs to be bypassed.

The Pixel 2 feeds a verified bit perfect audio signal to a set of AKG N90 Q USB headphones that have built in DAC and amplification. I am using a 6ft USB C to USB Micro cable from the Pixel 2 to the N90 Q headphones. No OTG cable is necessary.

When the headphones are powered on and plugged into the Pixel 2 XL a message is displayed by Tidal for permission to access the DAC in the AKG N90's.

The AKG N90's feature 3 processing stages, normal, 2.1 studio, and 5.1 surround. When payback is set for studio 2.1 the sound stage is in front, and above my head from left to right.

I am experiencing nuances and details in the music that I have enjoyed for decades that I never heard before.

Tidal's hi res files within this unique setup is a revelation. The new Pixel 2 XL was $299, The new AKG N90 Q's were also $299.

Finally, my headphone quest is finally over.

Anthony
Hi,
The 5.1 stage on the N90's wasn't realistically credible. The sound stage was too distant.

The Studio 2.1 stage on the headphones produced a soundstage that floated around my head, it absolutely was not projecting sound into my ears as most headphones do.

The sound quality made me forget about critically listening and I just get lost for hours enjoying the music.

Best, Anthony

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #221 of 230
Yeah. Good headphones can make the sound surround your head, but that isn't the same as speakers in a room where the sound is coming from multiple directions and distances. Headphones can't do that without complex signal processing and careful calibration to your individual HRTF.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #222 of 230
Yeah. Good headphones can make the sound surround your head, but that isn't the same as speakers in a room where the sound is coming from multiple directions and distances. Headphones can't do that without complex signal processing and careful calibration to your individual HRTF.

Traditional stereo sources with any kind of surround sound does just seem to increase the field to the sides or perhaps back of my head. The only time I have heard true 3-D audio that includes a clear frontal distance is Dolby Atmos headphone track or DTS:X headphone (they only seem to be around with demos and no content I'm interested in: movies for example are Atmos speakers).

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #223 of 230
Those headphone atmos demos have a trick. They make you watch a video with a flying blob of light representing the music. It flies all around and the music supposedly follows it. But if you close your eyes, it's all just normal secondary distance cues. No three dimensionality at all. You hear it with your eyes.

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #224 of 230
Those headphone atmos demos have a trick. They make you watch a video with a flying blob of light representing the music. It flies all around and the music supposedly follows it. But if you close your eyes, it's all just normal secondary distance cues. No three dimensionality at all. You hear it with your eyes.
The Atmos track I listened to was audio only. The “trick” I have found is that it has to be Atmos Headphone: and there isn’t much content made for it.

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #225 of 230
In theory, Apple Music has a whole section devoted to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back