Have The XB500, Where Do I Go From Here?
Sep 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

biggbenn74

500+ Head-Fier
Hello again, Head-Fi.

Today, I need some help from a few resident bass heads like myself. Here is my situation. I already have the Sony XB500. I want more bass. I can get more bass from my FiiO E7 and E11, but I want even MORE bass (both in quality and quantity) My budget is $150. I love more sub bass than anything. Basically, just that low rumble that translates into vibrations in your headphones. That kind of sub bass. Also, overall SQ is important. I don't want just subwoofer sound (although if that's what you have to suggest, please DO suggest it still!) basically, I love the SQ of my Q701s, and the bass of the XB500, and I'm wondering of I really can have "the best of both worlds".

Thank you for reading! I hope I will have answers shortly! Looking forward to it!

-BiggBenn

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 14
The DT770 pro 80 tick all your boxes. 
Slightly over your budget. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 14
What you look for doesn't unfortunately exist, might wanna look into the new XB series which should launch soon, unfortunately I think XB900 will be around $180 at launch probably but XB600 at $100 or less.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 14
Maybe also look into digiZoid ZO amp, it seems like the amp made for you, unexceptionally strong but nice sounding bass from a bass boost amp. The ZO2.3 pairs also very well with XB500. This amp will make your XB500 up to like 3x as strong in the bass if desired at max level... not kidding. :O You will start feeling the bass with this amp, with XB500 you'll feel the bass pressure trying to escape between the pads and your skin and it'll tickle your ears... that kind of bass...

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 14
What you look for doesn't unfortunately exist, might wanna look into the new XB series which should launch soon, unfortunately I think XB900 will be around $180 at launch probably but XB600 at $100 or less.

Thank you so much. I had no idea there is a new XB lineup coming soon. I'll be on the lookout on these! I've been so busy recently, I haven't checked Head-Fi in a week. :/ oh well. Gotta get money to support this headphone addiction.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 14
Maybe also look into digiZoid ZO amp, it seems like the amp made for you, unexceptionally strong but nice sounding bass from a bass boost amp. The ZO2.3 pairs also very well with XB500. This amp will make your XB500 up to like 3x as strong in the bass if desired at max level... not kidding. :O You will start feeling the bass with this amp, with XB500 you'll feel the bass pressure trying to escape between the pads and your skin and it'll tickle your ears... that kind of bass...

Yeah. Maybe in a few more months. I JUST got an E11. Yet to do a review, but I'm glad I got it. Does a much better job at amping my Q701 than my E7.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Do notice the DT770 Pro are a lot less bassy than XB500 though but they are heavily subbass oriented so they don't "hit" very hard therefore as the midbass isn't very strong at all, almost neutral, it's a very different kind of bass versus XB500 so it might or might not appeal to you. It's more a home theater kind of bass experience that rumbles with "tanks" in games or anything but it won't give a lot of "punch" in the bass but yea you asked for subbass though. The XB700 are also similar, very subbass oriented similar to DT770, just stronger.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Do notice the DT770 Pro are a lot less bassy than XB500 though but they are heavily subbass oriented so they don't "hit" very hard therefore as the midbass isn't very strong at all, almost neutral, it's a very different kind of bass versus XB500 so it might or might not appeal to you.

Probably, i haven't spend much time with the XB500's honestly.

Are you referring to the XB500 sound with a digizoid or Eq'd?  

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Are you referring to the XB500 sound with a digizoid or Eq'd?  

Well anything, you can compare EQ or EQless for both headphones, results will be nearly the same but XB500 do happen to respond well to EQing too, my memory from DT770 Pro is too far away to be able to comment on DT770's ability to respond to EQing though. Now off to bed, it's like 1:30 AM where I live and need to go to work tomorrow so.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 14
Well, I'm looking for more shaking bass than anything. But SQ is also a key factor. And I think I'll wait on the new XB lineup to go through some reviews before I jump on a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back