Have some money, don't know where to start
Aug 15, 2002 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gft

New Head-Fier
First of all, I have about $200 to spend (maybe a little more if I get desperate). Second, my music tastes demand detail in jazz and classical recordings. I especially like my opera. I don't know if it makes much difference, but I have both digital and analog recordings (as old as the '40s - you know, the Solti recording of Wagner's Ring?).

I also want either something closed (to block computer noise, and to be polite to fellow students in the university library), or perhaps an ety.

So I really like detailed sound stage - but beyond that I don't know. Why? Because I've been using Sony MDR-V600. I thought they sounded good (my friend's Koss sound muddy in comparison), but after reading so much about headphones at various places, I'm thinking it might be time to try a new pair of headphones.

I figure I'll buy through headphone.com, seeing as I can return them after 30 days if I don't like whatever I get.

The only place I might be able to audition heapdhones is The Stereo Shoppe (Lansing, MI), but I'm not sure they have headphones. Or does anybody know of a place within an hour of Michigan's capital?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS my discman is a Sony D-E301, but at times I listen through the headphone jack on my dad's high(er) end CD player, which sounds much nicer. So the new phones should be somewhat versatile in this respect.

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm leaning towards the etymotic er-6 with airhead for $200. Or, considering my portable audio source, would I be better off with the etymotic er-6 with a slimx? Too bad that combo would be very expensive. I'd rather have a cheaper solution.

Thanks,
jeff

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 13
I can't find specs for your PCDP. If you look in your manual and dig out it's output (mw/channel@whatever ohms) I'd be able to help better - but your first port of call (and you're not particularly bothered about portability) may be a headphone amp.

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm starting to think about the slimx. Is its 10 mW @ 16 ohm amp good enough for the Ety er-4s? Obviously it's enough for the er-4p and er6.

It would be convenient to leave out the $99 for the headphone amp and put it towards the slimx instead.

thanks,
Jeff

Aug 15, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 13
The 4p's and 6 alone would suit the slimx. The 6's don't get good reviews here on the whole - I can't comment as I haven't tried either.

If it's a phone you're looking at, TRY (and I do mean try, so that if you don't like it you can return it) the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. For classical music I'd say the overall balance of sound is great. It's closed, isolation is good and it folds for easy transport - and practically every component subject to wear can be replaced.

Only two major demerits: It makes you look like a dork, and it can be uncomfortable for many. Make sure you can return the phones before you purchase. If you do get it, give it at least 40 hours of listening before you make a decision.

Aug 15, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 13
OK here's the plan. I buy a slimx. Then I buy the er6 and sennheiser hd 280 pro (I've been reading up on those - they sound promising) together at headphone.com.

I then return the one I don't want. I hear they allow you to do this.

Unless I hear otherwise, that's what I'll do!

Thanks,
Jeff

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
T.... The 6's don't get good reviews here on the whole - I can't comment as I haven't tried either.

They don't?

Not only haven't you tried them, you must have missed all the good reviews of them too. They're very nice and perfectly suited for portable listening AND have received many good reviews here on Head-Fi.

Aug 15, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Really? Jeesus. I did miss them.
Well in that case I would add them to my collection but I'm not a fan of in-ear phones.

Well maybe, I might just get... no, better stop that... Beyers on the way, headphone overload here already. Thankfully one of my friends has offered to take the HD280's off my hands.

Aug 15, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I used the SlimX for a while with the HD280s and didn't think the SlimX could power them adequately. The Airhead did a nice job, though.

IMO, they are perfectly bearable until you got an amp - they would be fine for classical.

Aug 15, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 13
I've been really happy with my SlimX and 4P. That option would give you the flexibility of adding an amp and a 4P -> 4S adapter later on. But then again, the SlimX + 4P is twice as much as you wanted to spend.

Aug 15, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by gft
OK here's the plan. I buy a slimx. Then I buy the er6 and sennheiser hd 280 pro (I've been reading up on those - they sound promising) together at headphone.com.

I then return the one I don't want. I hear they allow you to do this.

Unless I hear otherwise, that's what I'll do!

Thanks,
Jeff

It definitely wouldn't hurt to try the ER-6's with the SlimX.
Maybe it's just my SlimX, but the headphone out was quite feeble. I had no choice but to add an amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back