Have Shure, heard Sennheiser, need upgrade
May 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hain

New Head-Fier
I currently own the Shure SRH 840, and I was quite satisfied with their sound until I gave the HD 598 a listen in a local audio store. Now I am a bit torn between both headphones, as I find both have great detail for their price range, and I like both sound signatures. I do admit I am leaning a bit towards the HD 598 in preference though, but I feel like there isn't enough difference in sound quality to warrant buying the HD 598. Instead I think I will set aside a bit more cash to go ahead and buy a headphone that would sound similar to the HD 598, but would be a higher class.

What I liked about the Sennheiser was the open sound and the slightly more forward representation compared to other Sennheisers I've heard. So I am looking for a headphone that preferably

- has a decent soundstage
- has a forward sound (good with rock, I liked the Sennheiser's mids)
- Sounds good with vocals if possible
- Costs under € 500

The amount of bass in the sennheisers was just right for me, it was a nice change from the SRH 840 (albeit slightly) boosted bass. But I don't think I want a headphone that has a lot less bass than this one, in any case unless the rest of the spectrum makes up for it. I am not a basshead at all but I like some body in the bass.

I will not be using an amp (but I do have a few hundred euro's I could spend on one if it makes a big difference, say a maximum of
€ 250 which I would prefer not to use unless it is advised) since I am saving up for a new desktop. This desktop would probably contain an Asus Xonar sound card though.

These headphones would mostly be used for rock, but I also have a good amount of jazz and hardrock/metal in my library, as well as some hip-hop and electronic (please state which genres what headphone sounds good with). I also have a thing for acoustic/unplugged guitar, which I found to be more enjoyable with the HD 598 than with the SRH 840)

May 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the SoundMAGIC HP100s would be a good choice for you.  They're relatively inexpensive, are somewhat forward, have a good soundstage, and are great with vocals/acoustic stuff, IMO.  They also have excellent, well-controlled bass.  And they're quite comfortable with Beyerdynamic velour pads (which fit perfectly, BTW).  Perhaps somebody could recommend something more expensive, but I think they're great with all genres, and have pretty much everything I'm looking for.

May 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 10
The grado GS1000 springs to mind. If you can get one used, I think they might fulfill all the requirements with a different twist. They do, despite being a grado, have a decent soundstage and decent bass too.

May 17, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 10
Hello!

Expensive and better SQ to others doesn't reflect to you! If you like the HD598 forward mids and how it sound, why not just go for it? Yes, there might be a lot more headphones that sound better than HD598, the HD600 is a good example but I can't actually think of any other more comfortable headphone than the HD598 and the vocals of HD598, is just amazing to me!

Yep, a fan of midrange here! XD

Hope this help!
Billson :)

May 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Hello!

Expensive and better SQ to others doesn't reflect to you! If you like the HD598 forward mids and how it sound, why not just go for it? Yes, there might be a lot more headphones that sound better than HD598, the HD600 is a good example but I can't actually think of any other more comfortable headphone than the HD598 and the vocals of HD598, is just amazing to me!

Yep, a fan of midrange here! XD

Hope this help!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay. Perhaps I was not very clear in getting my preferences across. I would like to repeat at this point that (quality) headphones are a new field to me, so my point of reference might be a bit off. Or I might be bad at explaining it.
Anyway, let me start again. I am, in general, very satisfied with the SRH 840. After listening to the HD 598, I started noticing things I preferred in the Sennheisers compared to the Shures. While I am still content with the SRH840, I preferred the forward mids the HD 598 gave, and I loved the way they presented voices (I even went back with a couple very vocal cd's later on).I found the soundstage to be a huge plus as well.
Since I am going to buy a relatively high-end desktop which I will use for gaming as well as listening to music, I might as well list soundstage as a factor in a future headphone.
Here's where I probably went wrong: I forgot to explain that the Sennheisers made me think about getting other, possibly more detailed headphones (like I said, while I thought the sennheiser were a nice complement to my Shures, I did not feel the difference was big enough to consider buying them. I have this plan stuck in my head to save up for a "better" headphone instead).
They also made me think about how damn heavy the Shures can get after a while, but while a lighter headphone is a possible plus it is not exactly a priority (I've managed with the Shures without complaints for months). Going with the plan of buying a headphone in a better price range I am going to have to reconsider the "no amp"-thing. So those are now open to suggestions up to €300.

Let me sum up my preferences again here:

- Forward sound (in combination with detail would be a big plus), works with rock and vocals
- Open or closed doesn't matter (will be using it exclusively at home). Open might be a plus considering the soundstage would help in gaming. I am going to use these headphones mainly for music though, so a closed headphone with good to decent soundstage would suffice.
- Comfort (Shures are heavy)
- Bass: I don't consider myself a basshead. I say this because the slight bass hump on the SRH 840 are enough for me most of the time. There are some electronic songs I think both headphones are too bass-shy for (like Brixton Briefcase by Chase and Status), but this is a small part of my library. So a slight bass boost might be welcome, but it is not a priority at all.

Feel free to completely disregard my first post at this point.

Budget for the headphone remains around € 500. I am considering saving up more though.

Quote:
The grado GS1000 springs to mind. If you can get one used, I think they might fulfill all the requirements with a different twist. They do, despite being a grado, have a decent soundstage and decent bass too.

Yowza! Not *THAT* much! Geez, €1 200 price tag is a little steep for me... how about other Grados though? I know that they might not have the best of soundstage, but they are supposed to be the king when it comes to rock music, right? Does any model that is slightly less expensive stand out? If so, does it benefit from an amp? (this last question is more of a general one than just concerning the Grado's)

Quote:
I think the SoundMAGIC HP100s would be a good choice for you.  They're relatively inexpensive, are somewhat forward, have a good soundstage, and are great with vocals/acoustic stuff, IMO.  They also have excellent, well-controlled bass.  And they're quite comfortable with Beyerdynamic velour pads (which fit perfectly, BTW).  Perhaps somebody could recommend something more expensive, but I think they're great with all genres, and have pretty much everything I'm looking for.

I can not find these anywhere. Do they ship to Europe? Are they worth shipping to Europe? (With the extra pricing and such)

Edit Saw the k550 in a webshop for € 165 (about $210). This makes them cheaper than the HD 598 (€ 176/$ 225) and the Shure (€ 188/$ 240 - in my defense, the Shure were a lot cheaper when I bought them). Would the k550 be a good choice for my preferences?

May 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Yowza! Not *THAT* much! Geez, €1 200 price tag is a little steep for me... how about other Grados though? I know that they might not have the best of soundstage, but they are supposed to be the king when it comes to rock music, right? Does any model that is slightly less expensive stand out? If so, does it benefit from an amp? (this last question is more of a general one than just concerning the Grado's)

1. Not thinking about the i model, and I am thinking used. One was sold for less than 400 euro's just a couple of days ago at my local head-fi forum...

1. Do you have a soundcard (gaming)? If so, which?

1. The hd598 is a very good headphone for gaming.

1. Grados are said to be good at rock. Forward and aggresive sound. I doubt they would be good for gaming.

1. The hp-100 is obtainable withing europe for some 200-230 euro AFAIK. I am positive they deliver solid perfomance.

1. Else, you could consider the new k712 or k702 anniversary edition, but they do not have a forward presentation. 

1. If you do get an expensive headphone, you should consider a amplifier and a soundcard for gaming/ functioning as a DAC.

1. Look into MLE's gaming thread too.

May 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 10
I would look at the Shure 1840 if you want light and sturdy or 1440 if your OK with a bit heavier. The 1440 is more forward and aggressive the 1840 is more neutral. Both are airy and open. Neither need an amp to sound great but both cam be improved with a modest amp (the 1840 pairs very well with a tube amp with a midcentric tube).

just saw your question about the K550. It is an excellent headphone as well. It and the Shure 940 are both excellent headphones. In your case the 550 may be a better choice though due to their lighter design.

May 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
  1. Not thinking about the i model, and I am thinking used. One was sold for less than 400 euro's just a couple of days ago at my local head-fi forum...

1. Do you have a soundcard (gaming)? If so, which?

1. The hd598 is a very good headphone for gaming.

1. Grados are said to be good at rock. Forward and aggresive sound. I doubt they would be good for gaming.

1. The hp-100 is obtainable withing europe for some 200-230 euro AFAIK. I am positive they deliver solid perfomance.

1. Else, you could consider the new k712 or k702 anniversary edition, but they do not have a forward presentation. 

1. If you do get an expensive headphone, you should consider a amplifier and a soundcard for gaming/ functioning as a DAC.

1. Look into MLE's gaming thread too.

1. If I could find one like that I would be either very jubilant or extremely suspicious.
  2. I don't have one yet, but I should have a computer with a Xonar DG soundcard in a month or two
  3. I agree
  4. Well that matches what I heard. Gaming would not be my primary use for them in any case
  5. Is it? I'm willing to believe you, but it's hard to imagine anything with it until I actually hear them. I'll take your word for it though, and keep looking (unless you're willing to point me somewhere?)
  6. There is a K712?
  7. I am considering that. I just have no idea which one
  8. Will do. Gaming is not my priority for headphones though.

Quote:
I would look at the Shure 1840 if you want light and sturdy or 1440 if your OK with a bit heavier. The 1440 is more forward and aggressive the 1840 is more neutral. Both are airy and open. Neither need an amp to sound great but both cam be improved with a modest amp (the 1840 pairs very well with a tube amp with a midcentric tube).

just saw your question about the K550. It is an excellent headphone as well. It and the Shure 940 are both excellent headphones. In your case the 550 may be a better choice though due to their lighter design.

Methinks I would prefer a pair of headphones that are a bit lighter. On one hand I think i'd like the more forward sound of the 1440, on the other hand I would like the 1840 as well because I hear they sound more refined. I'm not shure (hah!) how I feel about the SRH1440 weighing almost as much as the SRH840, though. I'll try to find a place to audition them.
Concerning the k550, I have heard these are very large headphones which sometimes have difficulty sealing right. They are also said to be very laid back. How is the imaging/detail on these?

May 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 10
I found the imaging of the K550 was very good but not quite as good as the Shure's. But liked both the 940 and K550 equally.

While the K550 is big I personally found them simple to get a good seal and I have an average size male head and even wear glasses.

the 1840 is very light btw but it is not as forward sounding as the 1440, 940, or K550. But I love the 1840 design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back