Have I got one for you...Sennheiser HD800s
Aug 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Csuttree

New Head-Fier
Hi all. First time posting here (and really, visiting the website). Always appreciated good sounding audio, always tried to keep my my music lossless, etc. but I'm certainly no audiophile.
Anyway, I was walking home a few months ago and saw a phenomenal looking pair of headphones sitting atop a trash can a few blocks from home. The Sennheiser name recognition struck, so I grabbed them on a whim just to see if they worked. What could it hurt? 
Well, turns out the headphones are perfect, and apparently the rest of the world thinks so, too- as I figured out when I first googled Sennheiser HD800. The sound is beautiful and balanced- being able to hear the sharp inhale of musicians  or the subtle finger slide down guitar strings has made all other forms of listening that I have sound flat and muffled.
The only thing wrong with them is that they are missing the pin which secures the left earphone to the head band. Does anyone know of where I can find this replacement part, or is my best option to send them in to Sennheiser for repair?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 33
Pictures or it didn't happen! jk, but seriously wow. I guess people really will throw out anything if it's 'broken'. That's an insane find. 
Being on top of a trash can, I guess they left it for someone to pick up because they've got too much money to bother fixing it. Otherwise it dun' make sense.

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:
I should start walking around in rich neighbourhoods on garbage collection day :D

you and me both man, shoot we'll arrange for group trips here on head fi xD we'll pay off the Garabge men lol and make a killing in "broken" audio gear 

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 33
I actually know someone who dropped his HD800 once and it dented and stopped functioning (no idea how) and he promptly tossed it out.
But regardless congrats on you amazing find! I think you should try to contact sennheiser first then if not visit the hardware shop if there is any replacement parts that would work as well.

Pictures would be great as well, helps us identify and assist you with the problem.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:
I actually know someone who dropped his HD800 once and it dented and stopped functioning (no idea how) and he promptly tossed it out.
But regardless congrats on you amazing find! I think you should try to contact sennheiser first then if not visit the hardware shop if there is any replacement parts that would work as well.

Pictures would be great as well, helps us identify and assist you with the problem.

indeed, and we all want to see pictures of it, and the garbage you got it out of xD.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 33
Hey everyone! thanks for the response. I had no idea what I was stumbling upon- I figure maybe someone took over ownership of them who didn't realize their significance, or...who knows.
Anyway, here's a quick pic. I snapped on my phone. I can put more up tomorrow with more detail, but you can see where the pin is missing from the earphone resting on top of the band:

http://imgur.com/zXr4RQj

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:
Hey everyone! thanks for the response. I had no idea what I was stumbling upon- I figure maybe someone took over ownership of them who didn't realize their significance, or...who knows.
Anyway, here's a quick pic. I snapped on my phone. I can put more up tomorrow with more detail, but you can see where the pin is missing from the earphone resting on top of the band:

http://imgur.com/zXr4RQj

Thanks for the pic, I see the cables look a little different too.
Not sure if anything internally is broken though since the pin had some how managed to come out of the headband.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:
Thanks for the pic, I see the cables look a little different too.
Not sure if anything internally is broken though since the pin had some how managed to come out of the headband.

Some one might have been trying to tinker with it, make some mods and may have screwed it up lol, maybe daddy's little boi wanted mo bass and ruined his fathers cans... so he trashed em and blamed the Maid xD 

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:
Yeah that looks like an aftermarket or custom made cable... which means they probably knew the significance of the headphones. Odd.

Very odd 

OR it could be he pissed he wife off, she chucked the cans at the ground by accident after he left and then she ditched them! 

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 33
Very odd 

OR it could be he pissed he wife off, she chucked the cans at the ground by accident after he left and then she ditched them! 

Can't imagine the look on her husband's face when he comes home :p
(imagine every bit of happiness on op' face become pure rage x2 on the husband's face)

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:
Can't imagine the look on her husband's face when he comes home
tongue.gif

(imagine every bit of happiness on op' face become pure rage x2 on the husband's face)

Indeed, or maybe

Maybe the wife want's some LOVE her self... who knows what sort of sexiness awaits him, although he could be one of those crappy rich cheating guys, in which case he is not worthy of the HD 800 PURE sound xD [women and headphones are my favorite things :D, but sadly we can't treat women like we do headphones, although we should respect them both :D]

Although My NO EQ rule to headphones might stem from my love of the ladies, gatta love em as they are man, can't go wanting what cha don't got [which is why we own multiple headphones] but then that makes me sound like a man whore... BEYER DT 880 you'll ALWAYS B MAH GIRL... and Oh great now I sound like I'm  an AUDIOPHILE ;D [cuz phile is for freaky love] 

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #15 of 33
Haha, hopefully no marriage was ruined over these.
Anyway, more pictures:

http://imgur.com/MkSKVxN,rWxIlAr,V3XbTYL,e41DkQW,Mrjvw37#0

It doesn't look like any of the plastic ridges are broken or missing- the pin drops into a closed plastic housing on the headband, which is (as far as I know) undamaged. The cable is produced by Cardas? I did a quick google search and it does indeed look like it's aftermarket cable specifically designed for the HD800s.
Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. I'll reach out to Sennheiser and see if they'd be willing to send a replacement part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back