Have ER4 and lots of Stax -- need another IEM
Jul 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Faust2D

Headphoneus Supremus
I have ER4 and like them a lot, but I am looking for a nice IEM or bud that does not go as deep in the ear as ER4. It's a pain to put them all the way in at work only to yank the out when someone comes by.
  1. I want to run the IEM out my Vibez or X5.
  2. I would like them to sound somewhat like SR-Lambda (ha ha ha), no seriously.
    tongue.gif
  3. Soundstage / headstage is very important to me.
  4. I listen to a lot of Jazz, Rock, some Metal so I will need a allrounder.
    cool.gif
  5. Don't want to spend more than $150, preferably less.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ER4 and like them a lot, but I am looking for a nice IEM or bud that does not go as deep in the ear as ER4. It's a pain to put them all the way in at work only to yank the out when someone comes by.
    tongue.gif
    cool.gif

You'll likely love the Ultimate Ears phones. I have the UE3s and the Ety6is as well as a few others. The UE3 are clearly the better soundstage phone as well as the Altec Lansing phones. But the ALs are made by Ety and are very similar in style to the ER4s so they are most likely going to be similar in sound to your Ety4s.

When i first put in my UE3s, I was blown away by the soundstage. They don't go in as far as the Etys but I feel like they don't go in far enough. However, I use one Comply foam and one modified Shure olive and this makes them fit sufficiently secure to be wonderful.

When I received my ALs, I used the small, blue 3 flange sleeves that came with my Ety6is and found them to work fine. But I decided to use the OEM foams that came with the ALs and this made for perfect comfort. They don't go in as far as the silicones but fit securely and provide good sound isolation.

The UE line of phones with Comply foams will likely do you good.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Have you tried using Shure black foams on the Etys yet? I have found that using the olives makes them far easier to insert and remove quickly and without the whole moisten, lift ear, insert motion you have to go through with tri-flanges.

Plus they're more comfy. =D

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

We're both heavy users of electrostatics and ER4s and I understand your issue.

Although I haven't tried it, so I don't know what effect it'd have on SQ for you, what about a Shure PTH device?

My alternate IEM choice has been Livewires T1s. I'm keen to further enhance their already very balanced (excellent) SQ (seeking the higher frequency response the Etys provide, perhaps via a Steve Kelby silver cable) but in all other aspects I think they meet the need - very easy to remove and reinsert one whenever I need to chat with somebody and very good for a wide range of music.

Best wishes in finding the solution that works for you, Faust2D.

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for all suggestions! Keep them cumming
smily_headphones1.gif
I want as many opinions as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My alternate IEM choice has been Livewires T1s. I'm keen to further enhance their already very balanced (excellent) SQ (seeking the higher frequency response the Etys provide, perhaps via a Steve Kelby silver cable) but in all other aspects I think they meet the need - very easy to remove and reinsert one whenever I need to chat with somebody and very good for a wide range of music.

How do you like these custom IEM? How do they compare to ER-4?

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

How do you like these custom IEM? How do they compare to ER-4?

I got the Livewires before the Etys. Till the Etys I thought the Livewires delivered a great full range but the Etys showed I was missing the highest of the highs (in every other aspect the Livewires truly deliver, and I am seeking to tailor the sound to capture those highs with a Steve Kelby silver cable).

I did the same for the Etys, which (with the standard cable) sounded bass poor to me (or maybe that says the Livewires are bass rich?
confused.gif
). Anyway, the APS Ety cable gave the Etys' a good degree of bass, but still not the punchy driving bass my Livewires produce.

So, to me, both are an acceptable compromise - with the potential for further Livewires improvement with the recable. To give you a 'rough' electrostatic metaphor (if you've had the experience) it's almost like the compromise of the bass rolloff of an SR-001 (Livewires) compared to the good but less punchy bass of a Sennheisser HE60 (Etys).

Both Etys and Livewires sound great with a good portable amp and, with the best synergy, you can easilly choose either and be very very happy.

If at home I choose the Etys (FLAC (iRiver H140) to iBasso D1 DAC to RSA SR-71 or Xin Supermicro IV). If out and about I choose the Livewires (FLAC (iRiver H140) to Xin Supermicro IV).

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

tongue.gif
    cool.gif

You are asking quite a few things for a 150$ thingie.
biggrin.gif

Stretch it to 500$
eek.gif
and have someone make this for you:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...-003-a-332117/

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Maybe Klipsch Image x5? I'm kind of interested in these myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back