Have about 750 to spend
Feb 2, 2015 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RedDawn

New Head-Fier
I listen to Stoner Rock/Doom/Sludge and Classical as 95% of my music. I will be using my setup at work. I was thinking of getting a pair of RS1's and pair them up with my Schiit Asgard 2. Would you guys recommend I get a DAC? My source material are v0 and 320 rips and I have a Project Carbon Debut turntable also. 

Just wondering if the RS1 would be a waste.

Current Gear:
Grade SR-80s/Audio Technica ath-m30
Schiit Asgard 2 (headphone amp for turntable)
ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier
Project Carbon Debut

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 9
  I listen to Stoner Rock/Doom/Sludge and Classical as 95% of my music. I will be using my setup at work. I was thinking of getting a pair of RS1's and pair them up with my Schiit Asgard 2. Would you guys recommend I get a DAC? My source material are v0 and 320 rips and I have a Project Carbon Debut turntable also. 

Just wondering if the RS1 would be a waste.

Current Gear:
Grade SR-80s/Audio Technica ath-m30
Schiit Asgard 2 (headphone amp for turntable)
ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier
Project Carbon Debut

Are the gears listed in your office and you're planning to just add the RS1 and maybe a DAC? What sources are you using or can use aside from TT?

If that's already in your office the problem is that the Schiit amps only have one input. That means you'll have to get a separate input switcher, otherwise you'll end up plugging and unplugging cables just to switch from analog to digital sources.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah we don't have any problems with theft luckily.

The list is what I have at work now hooked up to the TT. I dont have much experience with DAC's and didnt know if one would help with the Vinyl. My mp3s are generally pretty good rips.  My buddy told me RS1's would be overkill and just get a set of 325's with a fiio DAC. I just wanna do it right. I am fine with a switcher.

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Generally, headphones are the best investment you can make, but there's no guarantee you will like any given model.

You don't need a DAC in the first place for analog sources like your turntable. (DACs are digital-to-analog converters.)

What digital source components are you using for the MP3s?

If you want a preamp, the Schiit SYS is just $49, though I'm not sure if it would fit your situation.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 9
You'll definitely get much more of an improvement by spending 90% of your budget on headphones and 10% on the DAC, etc., as opposed to the other way around. The main issue is finding headphones that you like. I've been sorely disappointed so many times. It's an arduous journey, to say the least. Since you already seem to like Grado, that should simplify things. An affordable DAC like the Modi 2 should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back